Ghost in the Shell (2017) (4K and Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

darczap

Premium Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
NJ
Release date: July 25, 2017
Purchase links: 4K - 2D
Price: $24.99 (2D) - $29.99 (4K)

5803306_sa.jpg

images.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the revenue is higher than the budget it is not flopped in my opinion :thumbs:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-i...hansson-box-office-flop-whitewash-1202061479/

After vanishing in its opening weekend at the domestic box office to $18.6 million, film finance sources tell Deadline that Paramount/DreamWorks-Reliance’s Ghost In The Shell stands to lose at least $60M, and that’s based off a global B.O. projection of $200M ($50M domestic, $150M international) and combined P&A/production costs of $250M. Some sources even assert that the production cost for Ghost is far north of $110M and more in the $180M range — if that’s the case, Ghost is bleeding in excess of $100M.

Reactions: JCC
If the revenue is higher than the budget it is not flopped in my opinion :thumbs:

You also have to factor in Marketing budget- the rule of thumb is normally to double the production budget (except in rare circumstances like Deadpool).
This means that Ghost in the Shell's total cost would equate somewhere around $220 Million. Now, factoring in that most Hollywood's project's success are gauged more from the domestic market than they are for the international market, the fact that Ghost in the Shell only grossed $40 Million domestically is a bad sign.

I usually check boxofficemojo for the numbers, which is saying $110 million for costs and revenue $170 million. I personally don't believe this movie costs over $200 million. You would then be in the range of movies like the new Marvels (GotG 2), Avatar, Spectre, etc.

I do agree that the expectations were higher.

Pretty confident there won't be a sequel, not entirely sure that's a bad thing given the final product. That said, it was an interesting experiment, and probably worth the effort for the opening scene alone. If you're a fan of practical FX, check out Tested's channel on YouTube - a few videos were posted in the run up to theatrical release with some very interesting behind the scenes features focusing on costumes and animatronics.

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles
I usually check boxofficemojo for the numbers, which is saying $110 million for costs and revenue $170 million. I personally don't believe this movie costs over $200 million. You would then be in the range of movies like the new Marvels (GotG 2), Avatar, Spectre, etc.

I do agree that the expectations were higher.

It'll be interesting to see how Hollywood accounting takes place here, though it probably won't need too much finagling to slant things in the studio's favor.

A film that does not make a profit, is a commercial and financial flop, thats 100% not disputable. But a film that doesn't make a proft can still be a critical success. Sometimes critics and some fans find brilliant films to enjoy, that the masses just either don't go and see or don't get. Dredd is proof of that. Failed at the box office but critics liked it, and so did fans, it just didn't bring in the masses who if reports are correct especially in America don't really know the comics or thought it was a remake of the Stallone film.

This film was 110mil production, but you need to factor in at least another $50+mil for promotion. The film broke even at best, and is considered a flop by the film studio and media. There won't be a part 2

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Ricker
Just bought the 4K BestBuy steelbook as well (after reading about the differences between the US and European version). Every dollar helps! :naughty:

Bought the 4k version and went to pick it up yesterday. I'm on vacation, so I drove 25 miles to pick it up. As the employee 'delivers' the steel to me via computer, I notice the bottom on the steel has a small pin like ding on it. Not the most obtrusive ding, but a ding nonetheless. I tried to return it but was told they just 'delivered' it to me, so I had to wait like 2 hours, maybe more, to do the return. I'll be back in town tomorrow anyway, but damn...seems like I run into this whenever I place and order and have it held. I'll add, strangely enough, I ordered a couple more steels via online and, even though they were shipped in rip away cardboard nothingness, they made it safe and sound!!!

Still havent seen this yet, but it's too bad it's losing money. Hopefully it catches on and has a better digital financial life.

I never seem to see anything written about revenue from movie channels, DVD, Blu-ray releases or 4K releases.
Surely studios must make back some amount of money from these movies in this way?
Or why bother to release them for the home market?

I never seem to see anything written about revenue from movie channels, DVD, Blu-ray releases or 4K releases.
Surely studios must make back some amount of money from these movies in this way?
Or why bother to release them for the home market?
It can be a significant portion. This is what I found about Titanic:
Titanic earned $1.2 billion from video and DVD sales and rentals,[1] in addition to the $2.2 billion it grossed in theaters.

And on top of that you also have additional TV broadcast income and merchandising for example.

Merchandising can be extremely lucrative too: The Lion King also sold $3 billion of merchandise,[8] while Pixar's Cars—which earned $462 million in theatrical revenues and was only a modest hit by comparison to other Pixar films[9]—generated global merchandise sales of over $8 billion in the five years after its 2006 release.[10][11]

So it's not only revenue generated by the movie theatres.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
Any fellow ninjas possibly help me out with getting hold of this instead of using eBay.
I've got a dinged copy and a spine-slashed copy I was planning on returning, but if you (or anyone else) would like one at cost + shipping, I'd be happy to send them your way. They're both still sealed, but my local Best Buy doesn't have any copies to exchange them with, sadly.

I've got a dinged copy and a spine-slashed copy I was planning on returning, but if you (or anyone else) would like one at cost + shipping, I'd be happy to send them your way. They're both still sealed, but my local Best Buy doesn't have any copies to exchange them with, sadly.
Do they include 4K?