I'm hanging my gloves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCoffee

Premium Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just thought I'd make this as a sort of "Goodbye" thread, from myself to all you cool dudes who I've had the pleasure of sharing this passion with over the past 13 months!!

I made the very hard decision to stop visiting these forums and quit collecting steelbooks. It's been very tough to reach that decision...in fact it's took me almost two months to be decisive...but finally I'm there.

The game has changed SO much in the past 6 months alone. I have become increasingly baffled by the sheer volume of STEEL that is getting released worldwide this year. It's really mind blowing. For me at least, I've ran out space...money and love for all of the countless releases.

The fact that steelbooks are becoming almost like regular amarays now has taken all the collectibility out of the hobby for me. I just don't get that buzz anymore...it's not special for me.

I have a few GB's to honour but after those are all paid up i will be calling time on my collection.

It's been a blast! I've had some really fantastic banter on here, I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of such a passionate and intelligent community! This place is honestly heaven for a steelbook nerd like me. :)

That makes it even harder to leave, but I can't keep looking at all these wicked releases without being tempted to keep buying!! Haha, call me a sucker but that's just the way I am. I can't afford it anymore...need to think about the future, start saving some of my wages for holidays, weddings, a house...ya know?!!...important stuff!

So yeah, that's it I guess. I'll be selling ALL my steelbooks over the next 4 months. Not here...before you ask. :p I just don't get enough buyers, haha!

THANK YOU to all the staff and fellow ninjas here for making my time within this community absolutely unforgettable!

HDN has set the standard for me...needless to say the bar is set VERY HIGH!!! :scat:

Last edited:
Sad to see another collector go, i'll be shifting the majority of my steels real soon too. It's true, can't keep with the all the steels coming out!

Reactions: CaptainCoffee
Hey Captain, I am sorry to hear that. The Steelbook forum is one section of HDN-if you ever feel like swinging back around to other areas here, you're always welcomed to do so!

:::: Digitalbabe ::::
Staff/Community Manager
Hidefninja.com

Hey bud if you want to stick around but not be tempted there is a few options ....

1) Hit this image on main page of forums for any section you want to hide. (it caches and remembers for each visit)
collapse_tcat.gif

or I think we could ban you from a spec. board. :p

i know we've never talked buddy, but i do wish you luck ! I am going through the same thing right now and settled on stopping too. Its unfortunate but the market is so saturated now that "collectors item" has no meaning anymore... Its not very difficult to obtain any steels released these days unlike before where part of the game was the hunt !

Good luck to your future endeavors :scat:

Dang man. You will be missed.

Personally I can't quit at the moment. I have like $2.7 million on preorder. I'd have to cancel all of it and I think it might tilt the economy into a recession, or maybe even depression. Govy would have to bail out Zavvi and Amazon and then taxpayers would foot the bill. I would feel too guilty... then turn to the booze to drown my sorrows. Liquor stores would flourish with profits. Blu ray retailers would burn down the liquor stores in a jealous rage, thereby causing a riots in the streets. Mass hysteria.

See... being a big boss dog in the steelbook game is essential to keep the world running right proper.

"Yah. Keep tellin yourself that jimmyv" :thumbs:

I know how you feel mate.
over the last 2 years steelbooks have gone crazy, a cash cow for play.com & now zavvi.
Ironicly, I was always praying for UK back catalogue releases, now we have more than anywhere else in the world coming through.
It has changed my habbits, I used to go for any steelbook, but now I am selective.
A steel has to hit certain criteria now for me to own it.
I have to like the movie, I have to like the artwork, and it has to the best version on the market - e.g, I just sold the german despicable me steely. because I dislike german titles, and because I have the US amaray with nice slipcase - so the german steely became surplus.
my collection of steels has peaked at 450ish, give or take.
but now, im thinning out the numbers (decided to let go of around 50 over the past couple of weeks) and im being more selective.
I get excited about the real nice ones (chasing the blufans real steel & rio, and joining group buys for future releases - blufans steels being a step up, still get me excited) but regular uk steels now just go straight on the shelf.

Its hard to limit spending, and I have imposed a £100 a month limit, which is still a lot of cash (and that doesn't include anything I buy using paypal, as technicly, that's money I get from selling blus I already own, so in a roundabout way its like trading and not buying)
It gets hard to stick to that though, that's only 6/7 at best (4 at worst) per month.

anyway mate, all the best in saving for that wedding/house/holiday - when you have the house and wedding taken care of, you might have some spare cash for a couple of nice steelbooks lol.

Always sad to hear that someone is giving up the steelbook game.
Though I understand that it's very tempting to go for every release so that you don't miss out.

Best of luck to you! :thumbs:

Sorry to see you go CC....:(

Always enjoyed reading your posts and the great banter included in them!

You'll be missed my friend. :thumbs:

Maybe once you have the house & married we might see you back again. :p

Take care and I wish you all the best for the future....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.