paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 15, 2024
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £90.00 (Arrow Films) - £89.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)

91qN0wm1YaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Brand new 4K restorations from the best available elements
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all films
  • Original lossless mono audio for all films (except Embodiment of Evil)
  • Optional English subtitles on all films
  • Coffin Joe: Against the World!, an illustrated collector’s book featuring new writing by Tim Lucas, Carlos Primati, Jerome Reuter, Amy Voorhees Searles, Kyle Anderson, and Paula Sacramento
  • Reversible sleeves featuring newly commissioned artwork by Butcher Billy
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Butcher Billy
  • 12 postcard-sized double-sided art cards
Disc 1: At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul

• Brand new 4K restoration from a 35mm interpositive and a 35mm print
  • Archive audio commentary with writer, director and star José Mojica Marins, filmmaker Paulo Duarte and film scholar Carlos Primati (Portuguese with English subtitles)
  • Coffin Joe’s Sadean Underworld, a new video essay by film scholar Lindsay Hallam
  • Damned: The Strange World of José Mojica Marins, the definitive documentary on the life and work of José Mojica Marins by André Barcinski and Ivan Finotti
  • Bloody Kingdom, José Mojica Marins’ first short film with director’s commentary
  • The Adventurer’s Fate and My Destiny in Your Hands, excerpts from early works by José Mojica Marins
  • Theatrical trailer
Disc 2: This Night I’ll Possess Your Corpse / The Strange World Of Coffin Joe

• Brand new 4K restoration of This Night I’ll Possess Your Corpse from the original 35mm camera negative and 35mm interpositive
  • Brand new 4K restoration of The Strange World of Coffin Joe from a 35mm interpositive and a 35mm print
  • Archive audio commentaries for both films with José Mojica Marins, Paulo Duarte and Carlos Primati (Portuguese with English subtitles)
  • Eccentric of Cinema, a new interview with author Stephen Thrower examining the early life and influences of José Mojica Marins
  • On Tonight’s Horror Show!, a new video essay by film scholar Miranda Corcoran looking at the mythic figure of Coffin Joe within the canon of horror hosts
  • Alternative ending for The Strange World of Coffin Joe with commentary by José Mojica Marins
  • Theatrical trailers
Disc 3: The Awakening Of The Beast / The End Of Man

• Brand new 4K restoration of The Awakening of the Beast from a 35mm interpositive and a 35mm print
  • Brand new 4K restoration of The End of Man from the original 35mm camera negative
  • Archive audio commentaries for both films with José Mojica Marins, Paulo Duarte and Carlos Primati (Portuguese with English subtitles)
  • The Strange Mind of Coffin Joe, a new interview with author Guy Adams exploring the esoteric aspects of José Mojica Marins
  • A Woman for Joe, a new video essay by film scholar Alexandra Heller-Nicholas exploring the complex gender politics of Marins’ filmography
  • Alternate opening titles for The Awakening of the Beast
  • Theatrical trailers
Disc 4: When The Gods Fall Asleep / The Strange Hostel Of Naked Pleasures

• Brand new 4K restoration of When the Gods Fall Asleep from a 35mm film print, the only known existing element
  • Brand new 4K restoration of The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures from the original 35mm camera negative
  • The Demonic Surrealism of Coffin Joe, a new interview with scholar and filmmaker Virginie Sélavy exploring the parallels between the work of José Mojica Marins and the European and South American surrealist movements
  • Delirium, Surrealism, and Vision, a new interview with author Jack Sargeant
  • Apostle of Evil, a new interview with Dennison Ramalho (co-writer of Embodiment of Evil) about his early connection to Coffin Joe
  • Mojica in the Snow: Tonight I Incarnate at Sundance!, footage of Marins attending the Sundance Film Festival in 2001
  • A Blind Date for Coffin Joe, a short film by Raymond “Coffin Ray” Castile
  • Theatrical trailer for The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures
Disc 5: Hellish Flesh / Hallucinations Of A Deranged Mind

• Brand new 4K restorations of both films from the original 35mm camera negatives
  • Archive audio commentary for Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind with José Mojica Marins, editor Nilcemar Leyart, Paulo Duarte and Carlos Primati (Portuguese with English subtitles)
  • Aesthetics of Garbage: José Mojica Marins, a Complicated Icon, a new interview with filmmaker Andrew Leavold (The Search for Weng Weng) examining Marins' place in the Marginal Cinema movements of the 60s and 70s
  • Beyond Good and Evil, a new video essay by film critic Kat Ellinger
  • Theatrical trailers
Disc 6: Embodiment Of Evil

• Original lossless Dts-HD Ma 2.0 and 5.1 audio options
  • Archive audio commentary with producer Paulo Sacramento and co-screenwriter Dennison Ramalho (Portuguese with English subtitles)
  • Learning from the Master, a new interview with screenwriter Dennison Ramalho
  • Fantasia Film Festival Premiere Footage, archival footage of José Mojica Marins at the film's premiere
  • Apprenticeship of Evil, an archival interview in which Ramalho pays tribute to José Mojica Marins and looks back on their friendship
  • Official Making Of and Experimental Making Of, two archival featurettes about the production
  • Deleted scenes with commentary by director José Mojica Marins
  • Visual Effects: Purgatory, an archival featurette with commentary by director José Mojica Marins
  • Storyboards, an archival featurette with commentary by director José Mojica Marins
  • Theatrical trailer

Inside The Mind Of Coffin Joe Replacement Programme

Thank you for your patience while we resolve the issues with this release (FCD2451/AV536). Sadly, there was a fault with the subtitles on the Awakening of the Beast (Disc C) which were introduced after the discs had been fully QCed. To resolve the issue, we will be implementing a disc replacement programme for this affected disc. We apologise and understand how frustrating this must be.

Please be aware that replacement discs will ship from the week commencing February 19th (if not before), you will receive a confirmation email when your shipment is being organised.

***Direct Orders from Arrow***

There’s nothing further you need to do, the correct disc will be shipped to the address on your original order as soon as possible. Please note, this will not appear as a new order on your account.

***Orders Via Other Retailers (Amazon, Zavvi, HMV etc.)***

Please contact us via your Arrow account or via social media with a copy of your proof of purchase attached along with your delivery address to receive your disc.

If you no longer have access to your proof of purchase then please write the date and your full name on the face of your affected disc and attach the photo to your message, this will count as your proof of purchase. Please make sure this is directly on the disc itself and not on paper or anything else on or near the disc.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support, please let us know if you have any questions that are not covered in the article or following FAQ.

***FAQ***

Q: What is the issue prompting a replacement programme?

A: The subtitles on the Awakening of the Beast disc stop at around 33 minutes.

Q: I have multiple copies of Inside The Mind Of Coffin Joe, will I receive multiple replacement discs?

A: You will receive the number of replacement discs matching the number of copies bought on your order. Please make sure you have all applicable proof of purchase details before speaking to customer service.

Q: What counts as a proof of purchase?

A: A copy of your order confirmation from your retailer. Please make sure that product and order information are clear and that we can identify this proof as unique to your order, i.e. name and order number.

Q: What can I do if I no longer have my proof of purchase?

A: Please write the date and your full name on the face (picture) side of your Disc C – Awakening of the Beast disc and attach the photo to your message with the requested information, the date and name must be written directly onto the disc itself. This will count as your proof of purchase.

Q: I’ve applied, where’s my disc?

A: Unfortunately for this, we can’t send shipping notifications. Replacement discs shipping to the UK will be untracked. All other shipments will be tracked but not visible on your Arrow account. If your delivery address is outside of the UK and you’d like to request your tracking details, then please get in touch here with our Customer Service team; we will endeavour to update you as soon as possible. After your replacement has been confirmed by our team, it will normally ship out to you within 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Amazon cancelled pre orders because arrow pulled their stock at the last minute and didn't say why.

It would be nice if they could announce when it'll be available to order again.

So will this be available again I believe they are replacing the faulty discs and I believe are going to make them available again is this correct just what I have been reading elsewhere

So will this be available again I believe they are replacing the faulty discs and I believe are going to make them available again is this correct just what I have been reading elsewhere
They should be , it didn't sell out , arrow just withdrew the stock, so once the disc is replaced they sell them again.

I ended up ordering from Amazon US as when they relisted it it was $70 , which with shipping and duty/vat was £10 cheaper than the UK. It's due to arrive on Monday.