lg bluray home cinema problem

Jun 10, 2011
Hi there

Im hoping someone outthere is able to help me here!.
I purchased an lg 5.1 bluray system about 3 months ago; and have had no problems with this system upto about a week ago.
When watching bluray movies; i sometimes lose sound and/or audio.
This doesnt always happen; but seems to be happening a bit more regular now! have changed hdmi leads, but no change. player is updated to latest firmware to! Also my kids wanted to watch the extras on coraline; but as soon as i loadd them up; no picture; but film seemed to be ok! sorry for long post, but was wondering if anyone out there may know whats up!

Thanks again:(

Check your settings, perhaps you are pushing 24 frames to your TV and it doesn't really support it? that's why you may be hearing sound but no video. As for the sound I am not an expert with these setups. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

thanks for the reply. is 24hz the same as 24fps??? sorry im a newbie. my tv has to options 24 and 50. its been runing on 24 sinse i bought the cinema system; but did try changing it to 50 yesterday; but my picture went completely. so had to go back to 24!

thanks for the reply. is 24hz the same as 24fps??? sorry im a newbie. my tv has to options 24 and 50. its been runing on 24 sinse i bought the cinema system; but did try changing it to 50 yesterday; but my picture went completely. so had to go back to 24!

Yup, if you have your system setup to push 24hz and your TV to 50 then that might be the problem. Change the LG system to 50 if your TV is set to 50 see if that helps.

What brand TV is it if you don't mind me asking?

both tv and bluray system are lg. ive only started to lose audio and/or picture recently- been running fine since i bought them both 3 months ago but will try that n see what happens

if you can, do some "process of elimination" by using a different cable instead of HDMI. If you have optic audio or even perhaps component. See if you have audio problems then, even if you are playing just a dvd. If you have NO problems then, then perhaps it is an HDMI issue. I know you say you changed HDMI cables to test that, but if you have a faulty connection in the hardware (receiver) itself then at least we would get that figured out.

Also are you passing audio through your tv speakers as well. Or are you using TV now for only display purposes and using the 5.1 setup for audio.

(800-243-0000) <-- that should still be LG tech support too btw.

Sounds like a processing issue...

I found this interesting quote...

The problem is with the Digital Rights Management (DRM), curse the beast! HDMI cabling means that the signal goes through software that checks for authenticity. The audio output did not have this because the receiver doesn't have the software or the HDMI input. The time it took the TV to process the DRM resulted in the very slight but very annoying delay. Solution was to use the audio out from the TV to the receiver, BUT that eliminates 5.1 processing / surround sound. This is usually no big deal with TV audio output, but more and more programs are coming out with 5.1.

that may or may not be the issue, but here is a possible solution if you can connect that machine to the internet.

I was able to plug an internet cable into the TV and it automatically found and installed firmware updates. It went from version 3.7 up to 6.something. I then had to also update my LG blueray player the same way. It works perfectly now!

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

also, do you have any DVR connected in this setup? (comcast?)

hi there

been having a fiddle with it, and if i set ,thru the bluray system remote the settings to 1080i @ 60hz it seems to work. if i try the and put it on auto, the picture flickers; and if i try and set it to 50hz 1080p the picture goes! this is starting to get to me, because its been set to 1080p @24 since ive had it and its run with no problems!

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

hi thanks for reply problem is that my tv doesnt have internet; but bluray system does. looked for updates for bluray system but was already upto date!

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

hi there connected thru component leads (red white and yellow) this also seems to work, playing coraline deleted scenes; i get a picture now; albeit not at 1080p! would this suggest that there a problem with bluray player/reciever?

It would suggest that, or there is a problem with the processing via the HDMI cable. Meaning, it could be the player is not processing it fast enough which is leading to the delay. Kinda like that first quote I stated.

Reactions: chrisnmaddy
thanks for your help by the way. ive been doin abit of reading of my tv manual and it does say that i need a high speed hdmi lead, or i could get a flickering picture, or no picture. however ive been running a media drive today watching movies etc, thru hdmi, the media drive outputs at 1080i @ 50 hz. had no picture or sound problems with the same hdmi cable. its only when i try and switch the bluray player/reciever to 1080p @24 or 50hz that i seem to get picture problems. it runs fine @1080i @24. again thanks for your time and help.

No problem, we're a pretty helpful community here. Hope you stick around if any of the forum sections interest you. If not, we're glad to be of help if any.