Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns (Review)

Off_contstantly

Beer Man
Premium Supporter
Jul 2, 2009
St. Louis
attachment.php

When everyone started talking about the new Linkin Park CD, I instantly started thinking about how it would probably be similar to all of their old CDs, a rock/hip-hop/electronic hybrid that stayed the same throughout the entire CD. As it got closer and closer to release date, I started hearing songs from the album on different satellite radio stations. I heard one on a pop/top 40 station, I heard another on the hard rock station, and yet another on the alt rock station. I was really surprised about this. Was Linkin Park branching out from their norm? I can now answer that with a resounding Yes!

It seemed like each song was a different style than any of the previous songs. A few were close in style, but it became very apparent that a new layer of sound or style was added to make it something so different. Each song actually starts out with one thought, instrument, or style, and then another comes in. By the time you reach the focal point of the song, every layer is working together enhancing this or harmonizing with that. Then things start to return to a single layer transitioning into the next song or interlude. The entire CD is actually like that as well. It opens with a lyrical piece that sounds a little like a cross between some Coldplay mixed with and old Linkin Park song.

It was very apparent that Linkin Park wanted to give every member of the band the opportunity to make a part of certain songs or even entire songs their own. Several songs showed off Chester Bennington’s lyrical abilities. A few of the others allowed Mike Shinoda to let loose with his hip-hop style. There were even a few that were great songs just because of the harmonization between Bennington and Shinoda. The guys behind the mic didn’t get to have all the fun though. The intro to When They Come For Me was set up by a driving drum setup and guitar. This wasn’t the only song that showed off the fact that they are really good musicians on more than just digital effects and turn tables.

Overall, A Thousand Suns is probably the best Linkin Park album to date. It showcased a massive list of various styles from start to finish, did some creative transitions with old audio clips, each song transitioned easily into the next, and they did some creative effects with Pro Tools software. They showed that they can break out from the traditional lyrical to screaming with a little hip-hop Linkin Park style to a stronger emphasis on each band member’s strong points. I felt that this gave the album a more grown up and developed sound than the previous albums. Shedding the aversion to the Parental Warning label was a nice touch too. It was very evident that Linkin Park had a lot of fun making this album.

I would definately give A Thousand Suns a 9 out of 10.

Attachments

• Linkin Park.jpg
    Linkin Park.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
First Post! :p

What an awsome review Off! My son is usually the one who is into the whole "Linkin Park thing" (I know. I'm an old fuddy-duddy :emb: ) but I might hafta check this one out for myself.

Sweet! I was waiting to buy it until I heard a different opinion. I might of heard a single or two I am not sure since they probably changed the way they sound.

BTW great overview of the disc as a whole! good job!

great review, i like linkin park and was listing to the new album yesterday, i have to say i hated it, this album is completely different to their old albums and i don't like any of the songs

I havent heard this one, but they used to always jam back in the days when I did listen to them. ps, great review and well written.