Movies You Wish Had Sequels

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
7-sequels-we-are-still-waiting-to-see-866493.jpg

Not so much a sequel but I do feel that there is a very interesting story to be told in between Universal Soldier : Regeneration and Universal Soldier : Day of Reckoning

• Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja
GALAXY QUEST (So obvious that the studio didn't see it)
BUCKAROO BANZAI (we were promised one in the credits)
LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN (It was hinted at in the movie- and I would have loved to have seen another attempt to get it right)
DEEP RISING (what now? What the hell was on the island?!!)
DREDD (Just DO IT!!!)
YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (The cast was perfect. You had Chris Columbus, Barry Levinson & Spielberg. A sequel (or sequels) with more adventures would have been amazing. Only NOW are people realizing how much Harry Potter "borrowed" from this film. (Not surprising since Columbus wrote this and launched Potter)).
JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES (More Jack Crow hunts would have been great)
JOHN DIES AT THE END (I LOVED this film. And Coscarelli tried to get This Book is Full Of Spiders off the ground, but couldn't. A shame. The tease at the end of JDATE makes me wish it was happening).
CONSTANTINE (I love the comics and the character. And I had ZERO problem with this interpretation. In fact, I loved it. And I ache thinking about how the sequel would have expanded on the mythology and Papa Midnight...and maybe even Swamp Thing. Keanu was great.)
THE FUGITIVE (although U.S. MARSHALS killed it - it would have been fun to see a series of films starring Gerard and his gang going after fugitives).
NATIONAL TREASURE (I hope there is a third. These are FUN movies. And we really don't have these Indiana Jones type affairs in the cinema right now. Miss them.)
UNBREAKABLE (Looks like it might happen! I have always marveled at what people missed about the film. It has NO three act structure. It is just a FIRST act! The movie ends on a reveal that sets up the second act. Brilliant).
REMO WILLIAMS (Another film that promised a sequel! I love this movie unreservedly. Joel Grey should have gotten an Oscar Nomination!)
SILVERADO (They said "We'll be back" at the end! What a great western. What a cast).
THREE AMIGOS (there really should have been a sequel)
FLETCH (would have been great to see another)
GHOSTBUSTERS ('Ghostbusters go to Hell' script was written. What could have been...)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Flash and PunkNinja
Nice thread. Perhaps these movies were much hated but in a different universe, it would have been great to see sequels to:

Willow
The Shadow
Rocketeer
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
John Carter

Funnily enough, I made a list on Letterboxd for sequels I'd like to see about 3 or 4 years ago and some of those films now have planned sequels! :D
  • Dredd
  • Hellboy
  • District 9
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Tron Legacy
  • Prometheus
  • Eastern Promises
  • Roger Rabbit
  • The Incredibles
  • Unbreakable
  • Pacific Rim
  • 28 Weeks Later

Then I started to get a bit silly and added some "guilty pleasures" in to the mix...
  • John Carter
  • South Park
  • Hanna
  • Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Kung Fu Hustle
  • Lockout
  • Hancock
  • Shoot 'Em Up

FLETCH (would have been great to see another)

Almost happened, studio finally settled on Kevin Smith to direct, but his comments on Chase are now legendary. Several other directors also passed when they realised too just how big a d**k Chase is.

Funnily enough, I made a list on Letterboxd for sequels I'd like to see about 3 or 4 years ago and some of those films now have planned sequels! :D
  • Eastern Promises
  • Shoot 'Em Up

Eastern Promises is getting a sequel although very little is known, other than it was due to start shooting this month.

OOOOOOOH HELL YEAH would love a sequel to Shoot Em Up.

For me personally I would love to see a sequel to

November Man
Kick Ass 3

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Almost happened, studio finally settled on Kevin Smith to direct, but his comments on Chase are now legendary. Several other directors also passed when they realised too just how big a d**k Chase is.

Eastern Promises is getting a sequel although very little is known, other than it was due to start shooting this month.

November Man
Kick Ass 3
Is the EP sequel definitely happening then? I thought they were just rumours.

Good shout with Kick Ass... the way 2 ended made it seem like 3 was already planned, but everyone seems to have moved on and forgotten about it.

A movie I've always wanted a sequel for is The Phantom. I've always thought that movie was great, & a sequel could definitely have happened (if the movie didn't sort of bomb!). In fact, I think had a sequel happened they could have rebooted Flash Gordon alongside it & then did a team up movie for Defenders of the Earth. Serious wishful thinking there, I know!

For me would have always loved a sequel to Leon and see what Matilda did :D

Probably would have been $hit and ruined Leon though :hilarious:

The Leon sequel already happened, kind of. Because Gaumont hold the rights to Leon & Besson left Gaumont after Leon to start his own company, they're holding on to the rights tightly. Due to that, the script Besson had wrote for Mathilda had to be modified, so himself & Oliver Megaton turned it in to the movie Colombiana.

A movie I've always wanted a sequel for is The Phantom. I've always thought that movie was great, & a sequel could definitely have happened (if the movie didn't sort of bomb!). In fact, I think had a sequel happened they could have rebooted Flash Gordon alongside it & then did a team up movie for Defenders of the Earth. Serious wishful thinking there, I know!

The Leon sequel already happened, kind of. Because Gaumont hold the rights to Leon & Besson left Gaumont after Leon to start his own company, they're holding on to the rights tightly. Due to that, the script Besson had wrote for Mathilda had to be modified, so himself & Oliver Megaton turned it in to the movie Colombiana.

That's a damn shame. Colombiana was a horrible mess of a poorly edited film.

Really? Might have to watch that again see if it in any way makes any sense. Think I have the steelbook somewhere for it :D

I've actually never seen it, but just watched a trailer for it there & its pretty blatant. The main character is an assassin who witnessed her parents murdered in front of her when she was 9. She goes to her uncle & asks him to train her as a killer. 15 years later, she's out for revenge.

• Thanks
Reactions: zesty

November Man
Kick Ass 3

Strange you should mention Chevy Chase. I watched one of his films the other day with the commentary on. He comes across as a very decent, regular guy, tongue-in-cheek, also self-depricating. In the commentary he actually rails against people who play the star system.
Besides, isn't Kevin Smith actually a bit of a d*ck. Anyone who has seen some of his online film reviews cannot fail to cringe.

Reactions: C.C. 95