PS3 Information Thread (for that news that doesn't quite fit anywhere else)

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
I decided to make this thread so I could post information if a company just makes a single announcement that isn't anything concrete on a single game.

That way there's not 100 useless threads started, that are never replied to... :) :)

Last edited:
Naughty Dog To Return To Jak and Daxter, Uncharted Or Create a New IP?

In an interiew with Joystiq, Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells has been discussing a possible future for their fondly remembered PS2 platforming duo, Jak and Daxter.

"Maybe we could go to Jak and Daxter as the next project. Maybe we stick with Uncharted (laughs). Maybe we come up with a new IP. It's tricky to be able to tackle all of those at once. Right?

"We don't have the resources. So, we're gonna have to choose our battles. I'm not sure whether Jak and Daxter will win that battle," he said.

Wells hasn't ruled out the possibility of a future Jak and Daxter however, though it might be outsourced to another developer if they can find someone suitable: "I think it would be a shame if there weren't a Jak and Daxter for the PS3 generation. So, if we can't find a partner for one of those, then maybe we're going to have to find a budget ourselves," he stated.

thatgamecompany Won't Be Releasing a Game In 2010

Winner of a Game Developer's Choice award in the 'Best Downloadable' category at this year's ceremony in San Francisco, That Game Company's Flower has won nothing but praise since its release.

Which is probably why That Game Company is taking its sweet time with a follow up, making no promises of a title for this year.

In fact when quizzed about a game for 2011 by Kotaku, That Game Company co-founder and creative director Jenova Chen replied, "2011? We are not going to have a game by 2011."

He continued by saying, "What I care about is actually people who played it and how they felt about it."

We'll still be keeping an eye on That Game Company though, even if we do have to wait another year to see another innovative and unique PSN effort.

Ubisoft Developing A Secret RPG?

Ubisoft may be looking to expand their RPG portfolio beyond Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes if the job history listed on a CV spotted on LinkedIn is anything to go by.

Earlier today the CV was sighted by Siliconera.com, but since the spot came to light, the listing has been changed to "Unannounced title" rather than the more revealing "RPG title" that Ubi has been working on since November 2009 if the leaked CV's details are to be believed.

Could it be something based upon an existing Ubisoft IP, we can't help but wonder. Splinter Cell RPG? Assassin's Creed RPG? Raving Rabbids RPG? We'll just have to wait and see...

Resident Evil's Shinji Mikami to form new studio

Shinji Mikami, mastermind behind the critically acclaimed Biohazard (aka Resident Evil) franchise, has announced plans to form a new development studio once work on the upcoming Vanquish has wrapped.

Speaking with Japanese publication Famitsu, Mikami-san commented, “One of the reasons I'm building a company is to raise the game makers of the future, people who haven't gone pro yet," Mikami told Famitsu. "Game development is often overseen from a pure business perspective here, which is unique to Japan, and I have the impression that environment tends to prune away young talent.

"I really want to make Tango a company run from a creator's perspective, one that expands upon new talent."

Elsewhere, Mikami also expressed interest in creating a 3D horror game, though noted this would only materialise when the format has amassed a significant user base.

"When it comes to my personal desires, I'd like to make a true-3D horror game, something where you'd use glasses like in the Avatar film," he stated. "It's been my goal since the original Resident Evil to be the first in the industry to make a 3D game. There needs to be a large 3D television-owning userbase before that can happen, but I always like trying out new things first."

Guerrilla Games has yet to push PS3 to the max

Killzone 2 developer Guerrilla Games has declared that it has yet to push the PlayStation 3's hardware to its limits, insisting there is still room for improvement.

Speaking with the chaps at EDGE magazine, studio co-founder Herman Hulst commented, “We’re satisfied that we demonstrated the potential of the hardware.”

He further added: “But we realise that further optimisations are always possible and that we haven’t hit the limit yet.”

Amazon.com: All PlayStation 3 Gold Box Alert

On Tuesday, March 22, 2010, the Amazon.com Gold Box will feature video game products for PlayStation 3 gamers all day long.

032210_PS3_goldbox.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Last edited by a moderator:
EA Planning To Release Paid DLC Before Boxed Games

According to Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter, Visceral head Nick Earl has been talking up a new intiative being planned by EA to release paid DLC as a precursor to a finished boxed product.

The paid DLC would act as a sort of extended demo that would enable EA to gauge consumer reaction and the market potential of prospective games.
Pachter penned the following in a note to investors: "Mr. Earl revealed a strategy to release premium downloadable content (PDLC) as a product for sale prior to the release of a packaged product.

"The PDLC would be sold for $10 or $15 through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, and would essentially be a very long game demo, along the lines of 2009’s Battlefield 1943. A full-blown packaged game would follow shortly after the release of the PDLC, bearing a full retail price.

"Mr. Earl believes that the release of the PDLC first limits the risk of completing and marketing the full packaged version, and serves as a low-cost marketing tool," he added.

The initiative is part of an overall strategy to save EA money, which includes their $10 initiative - successfully implemented in Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - as well as moving future development to cheaper locations such as Montreal and China, and their acquisition of casual games maker PlayFish.

"This time, we think that EA is on the right path," concluded Pachter.

2 things:

1) It seems like it'd be a better idea to release things like the Heavy Rain Chronicles before the game, not PAID demos...

2) If the "demo" is like Battlefield 1943 then it's essentially a shorter game. I never considered 1943 anywhere related to a demo, it was a fun little romp. I couldn't see the point in paying to play a demo that didn't have trophies...

They add additional trophy support and I'll consider it, if not this idea is lost on me.

I missed Batman, oh wells ... I know some folks I can borrow it from when I want to play it. Im not a huge fighting fan anymore but Tekken 6 for that price is ace.

I missed Batman, oh wells ... I know some folks I can borrow it from when I want to play it. Im not a huge fighting fan anymore but Tekken 6 for that price is ace.

I have Batman i'd let you borrow for one of your games. And I liked the storyline mode in this Tekken (I watched my brother play it). But i've never been a Tekken fan. It's always seemed clunky.

Pretty cool new remote I came across - 3in1 Keymote

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GIPNCK/?tag=hidefnin-20

41b9RoIVljL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41vY14J1TOL._AA300_.jpg

2.4 GHZ wireless remote control for operating the Blu-ray and DVD functions, includes integrated, rechargeable Li-on battery
Including pull-out keyboard for text input for internet, online gaming and other applications
Fully equipped with all standard controller functions, including four action buttons and two mini analog sticks
USB receiver with a range of 15 meters and charging function
USB cable for connection included

Yeah if it was a tad cheaper I'd probably still get it. Although like you I got the remote and just bought the thumbpad today.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

looks really slick tho and has its own charging station.

Australian Anti-Games Attorney General To Step Down

South Australia's Attorney General, Michael Atkinson will be stepping down to take a back seat role in Australian Parliament.

Atkinson has been an anti-games lobbyist and sole obstacle in Australia changing its certification laws to allow 18+ games to be sold in the country. His veto power has prevented a ratings reform despite being the only one of six Attorney Generals opposed to redressing the law against the sale of mature videogames.

Having served for 20 years in Parliament, Atkinson stated, "I believe there should be a renewal," adding, "I think there are talented people on the Labor backbench who deserve a go."

Additionally, Atkinson said that he'll step down from Parliament altogether in 2014, to spend more time with his son.

When Atkinson finally steps down, it could mean that adult-themed games will cease to be banned in the region as the current laws only allow for the sale of MA15+ games.

How to become a videogame VO Actor

north_carolina_1.jpg

Hey everyone, T.J. Fixman here. I’m the Senior Writer at Insomniac Games, and I’ve had the privilege of working here for almost four years. That’s four years of ridiculous Qwark one-liners, Nefarious cackles, Ratchet witticisms, and Hale… well, Hale never talked much – but he stared broodingly! Over the course of four projects I’ve met, written for, and directed dozens of voice actors, and have come to a simple conclusion: I am in the wrong line of work.

Voice actors get to bring to life what we writers can only imagine. We write a joke, monologue, or heartfelt moment in the story – but it remains ink on paper until a talented actor gives it a soul. Sure, we like to remind ourselves that it all starts on the page, but good writing can be undone by poor acting. And conversely, mediocre writing can be heightened by fantastic acting (at least, to a point – I’m looking at you, George Lucas). At Insomniac, we’ve made finding top-tier talent a priority in our projects. It doesn’t matter if you’re auditioning for the principal role or just Soldier #5 shouting “Incoming!” on a battlefield. If you can’t make us believe, you’re not getting through the door.

So how does one get paid to become Nathan Hale, or Marcus Fenix, or Kratos? We get that question a lot, and there’s good news and bad news. The bad news is, breaking into voice acting is extremely difficult. The good news is, even James Arnold Taylor (Ratchet) has been where you are now. David Kaye (Clank) had to break in just as you’ll have to. People do it every day with hard work and persistence. So let’s dive into what you need to do in order to one day sit on the other side of the glass, taking direction from Brian Allgeier or Amy Hennig!

Step One: Forget the Fantasy

When people are on the outside of the entertainment industry looking in, things seem rosy and magical. As a 17-year-old neophyte writer, I imagined travelling around the world with my laptop, penning my opus on the patio of some French café and emailing my script to Paramount with a note to direct deposit my millions. Yes, Mr. Spielberg, that’s Fixman with an “x”.

But the reality is, being in the most creative industry in the world means a 24/7 work schedule. VO work, like writing, is almost entirely contract. This means you have to constantly work on new voices, produce new material, audition as much as possible and work as much as you can while you can. Acting is a notoriously “feast or famine” endeavor, and you never know when the next dry spell is going to come. So say goodbye to a comfortable profession, because tough times can hit any actor. Huzzah!

Step Two: Location is Everything

So you’ve been working on your voices, accept that rocky times lay ahead, and still decide you want to follow your dream. Step two is a brutal one for some – move to Los Angeles or New York. A lot of folks try to get their careers started from around the country, believing they’re part of the mythical group of working performers who can operate out of the studio in their garage. That may apply to actors who read copy for radio ads, but most cartoon and video game studios will want you to be present so they can direct you. If you make it past the audition phase, we may call you in the next week – and we don’t want to have to wait while you make travel arrangements.

Los Angeles and New York are the hot spots for acting. Move there and stomach the indignity of becoming a walking cliché for a few years. Sure, it sucks, but you’re paying your dues and putting yourself within driving distance of tons of recording studios, video game companies, and talent agencies. Plus you’ll finally have a legitimate reason to keep quoting Swingers.

Step Three: Take a Class

There are typically two reactions to this step:

What? School?! I already graduated with a degree in Theatre from [INSERT PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL NAME HERE]!

Or…

What? School?! The reason I got into acting is because I hate school and love goofing off!

Both are pretty common, but as any VO actor will tell you, voice over requires a special skill set. Your voice is your toolkit, and there are several workshops and seminars that will teach you how to develop it. Can you yell using your throat instead of your diaphragm? Can you alter the age of your character on command? Can you mimic different accents correctly versus those jokey ones you put on around your friends? Can you create amazing monster sounds like Fred Tatasciore, or pull off a four-hour Dr. Nefarious session like Armin Shimerman?

There’s also a lot to learn about actor/director interaction. When you’re in the booth facing a director who just paid thousands of dollars to rent the studio and engineer, he/she won’t want to waste time teaching you the lingo. Learn what terms we use so you don’t end up with this:

voice_acting_blog

Interesting read. I had got my MGS4 autographed by the VO actor of Raiden, but I sold it. :p

Spring Fever Returns on PlayStation Network!

4460433444_06c54f6f36.jpg

Spring Fever returns! Join us as PlayStation Network celebrates exceptional games during Spring Fever, one of our biggest annual events. Find spring-inspired game sales, special content bundles and exclusive bonus items only downloadable on the PlayStation Store. Each week, more PS3 and PSP game favorites and DLC will be available at big discounts. Be sure to check back every week as new sale items enter the spring spotlight with a very special bonus: With your game purchase, receive a male and female piece of the Spring Fever Home Avatar Costume as a gift.

Week 1 (3-25-10): Gravity Crash (was $9.99, now $4.99) and Everday Shooter (was $9.99, now $4.99)
Week 2 (4-1-10):
Week 3 (4-8-10):
Week 4 (4-15-10):
Week 5 (4-22-10):
Week 6 (4-29-10):
Week 7 (5-6-10):
Week 8 (5-13-10):
Week 9 (5-20-10):
Week 10 (5-27-10):

Collect all five to create a stylish bee outfit for male avatars and a fashion-forward flowerpot costume for females — and give your Home Avatar a new, sought-after look for the spring season! Note – you must have a valid email address for fulfillment of the Home avatar costume voucher code.

4460266157_f78088c740_m.jpg
4460266127_31a1fbe2bf_m.jpg

Week 1 (3-25-10): bee feet, flower feet
Week 2 (4-1-10): bee legs, flower legs
Week 3 (4-8-10): bee torso, flower torso
Week 4 (4-15-10): bee hands, flower hands
Week 5 (4-22-10): bee head, flower head
Week 6 (4-29-10): bee feet, flower feet
Week 7 (5-6-10): bee legs, flower legs
Week 8 (5-13-10): bee torso, flower torso
Week 9 (5-20-10): bee hands, flower hands
Week 10 (5-27-10): bee head, flower head

So, catch Spring Fever with the rest of PlayStation Network and come away with great games, new content and special gifts. The big event is all season long on PlayStation Store, so visit early and check back often!

Last edited:
Koller: 3D focus is on PS3, not handhelds

Sony America’s John Koller has moved to dispel any talk of seeing a 3D update to the PlayStation Portable, stating that the electronics giant is firmly focused on integrating the technology in to PlayStation 3.

Speaking to IGN, Koller stated, "Our focus on 3D right now is on the console,” adding, “There’s a tremendous amount of opportunity on PlayStation 3 with 3D. The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts. We know we have a hit with 3D on PS3 and we’re going to concentrate our efforts there.”

Koller’s comments come following yesterday’s announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, which will be showcased for the first time at E3 in June. The handheld will allow gamers to experience portable 3D gaming without the need for any “special glasses” and will be released some time before March of next year.

However, the executive expressed concerns as to whether or not younger gamers would embrace the 3D concept:

“I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable,” he said. “Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it’s an interesting move but one I’d like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. Eight and nine year-olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.”