R.I.P Gene Wilder

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
iconichollywoodheros16_1393593640.jpg

-> http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gene-wilder-dead-dies-willie-wonka-young-frankenstein-1201846745/

Last edited:
Reactions: denizen and dan8885
"...US actor Gene Wilder, remembered by many for his namesake role in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, has died at the age of 83, his family confirmed.

The comic actor also starred in classic films such as The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Mr Wilder frequently collaborated with writer and director Mel Brooks as well as stand-up comedian Richard Pryor.

The two-time Oscar-nominated actor was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 1989.

Mr Wilder's nephew confirmed the actor died on Sunday in Stamford, Connecticut, due to complications from Alzheimer's disease.

The star first made waves on Broadway before transitioning to the silver screen for a brief role as a kidnapped undertaker in Bonnie and Clyde (1967).

Mel Brooks then cast Mr Wilder as Leo Bloom, an anxious accountant in the 1968 comedy, The Producers.

In 1971, he took on the role of one of his most beloved characters, Willy Wonka, in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Mr Wilder's other well-known roles included the Waco Kid in the 1974 cult classic Blazing Saddles and Doctor Ross in Woody Allen's 1972 film, Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex* But Were Afraid to Ask..."
BBC

Unbelievable sad news @Flash (and scary that the tweet comes from 90 year old Mel Brooks)

With 83 years and this life he lived I think it's okay to rest. But sad for all the people left behind who liked what he did. Rest in Peace Mr. Wilder :(

My favorite movie is of course Willy Wonka but I ADORE ADORE ADORE the movies with him and Richard Pryor (RIP). Those I can watch over and over again :drool:
'Lady in Red' was super fun. And i also liked the movie from Woody Allen where he played the Doctor, "Everything you wanted to know ........"

Very very funny man.. Always loved Young Frankenstein when he's locked in with the monster and tells his assistant not to let him out no mater what happens. The next bit is priceless with him banging on the door screaming "Let me out you bastards, don't you know a joke when you hear one". One of my all time funny moments in a film. And it never fails to make me laugh no mater how many times I've seen it.....

Reactions: Flash
Sad to hear he's gone, but at least he's at peace now... Alzheimer's is such an awful disease.

I think the first film I ever saw him in was See No Evil, Hear No Evil that he was in with Richard Pryor... loved that film as a kid and it never failed to make me laugh.

Think I'd have to agree with most and say that Willy Wonka was my favourite role he played though. I've had Pure Imagination going around in my head ever since hearing the news earlier.

May he RIP.

Gene was and remains simply one of the best. The magic of his craft was that no matter how animated, wild, goofy or reserved he played it, there was always a warmth to his characters. He couldn't hide it through performance, it was simply part of who he was and his roles were all the more memorable because of it. Wonka may be his most iconic role, but his passing brings to mind a whole raft of great childhood memories to me - Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silver Streak, Stir Crazy, Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother... I even love Haunted Honeymoon! :rofl: Very sad news but the world will remember him with fondness.

RIP Gene.

RIP sir - you have brought many, many, many moments of joy and laughter to me and my family. Now you get to enjoy eternal peace and joy!

Thank you.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
R.I.P.

Great Actor!! Loved his movies and hope to see Steelbook releases of:
Blazing Saddles
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Stir Crazy
Woman in Red
Silver Streak
Haunted Honeymoon
The Producers

• Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja
Such sad news, what an actor, may he live on in his great films roles :(

Mel Brooks on his Twitter

image.jpg

What was your favourite of his films?

@chunk @harry @Noodles @dan8885

My friend text me late last night, over the 20 years I've know her we always watch his movies when we get together, it's a very sad day today, he will be missed.

Been watching his films for as long as i can remember, my favourite films are willy wonka of course but the ones I watch the most are the films he co-starred with Richard Pryor, I watched silver streak and see no evil for the millionth time just the other day, i was getting ready to watch stir crazy and some others soon too, I always binge watch his movies but now it will be different knowing he's not with us anymore. I'm glad he lived a long and full life but he will be forever missed:drool:

• Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja