Really good martial arts movies

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Any recommendations for martial arts movies that kick ass? Great fighting is awesome, but if it has horrible acting and movie its probably not for me.

I like a mix of all.

I really enjoyed Ip Man 1 &2 , chen zhen, and 13 Assassins.

I dont mind subtitles.

Any recommendations for martial arts movies that kick ass? Great fighting is awesome, but if it has horrible acting and movie its probably not for me.

I like a mix of all.

I really enjoyed Ip Man 1 &2 , chen zhen, and 13 Assassins.

I dont mind subtitles.

I have been watching martial arts films for ages now, but I'm now sick of the ones that don't have a decent story. In the beginning I was just watching movies just for the action, but now I need story. Most of the Shaw Bros movies from the 1960-1970s are highly entertaining, but the problem is, once you've seen one, you've seen them all. They all sort of seem the same and tend to blur. I want to see unique films with martial arts now!

So here's my list:
THE WARRIOR'S WAY (I loved this film eventhough it got bad reviews)
GALLANTS (Region-free Hong Kong DVD, unfortunately not available on Blu-ray anywhere, but the DVD is excellent quality)
DETECTIVE DEE (USA or HK Blu-ray)
KUNG FU HUSTLE (you probably saw it)
HERO (you probably saw it)
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS (you probably saw it)
CROUTCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON (you probably saw it)
SHADOWLESS SWORD (Korea Region-free Blu-ray)
IP MAN (you saw it)
FEARLESS (you probably saw it)
THE REBEL (awesome Vietnamese martial arts film, only on DVD)
CRYING FREEMAN (French PAL DVD only)
BICHENMOO (Korean NTSC Region 2 DVD only)
MIRAGEMAN (USA DVD, it's like Super or Kick-ass with martial arts)
KILLER BEAN FOREVER (Germany Region B Blu-ray, it's got awesome martial arts in it for a PG-13 rated Pixar-type animated film)
THE MYTH (UK Region-free Blu-ray)
RED CLIFF (you probably saw it)
SWORD OF THE STRANGER (USA blu-ray, good movie AND great samurai action in it and i'm not even a big fan of samurai films)
FIGHTER (USA DVD, it's a great Danish martial arts film about a Muslim female fighter)

I'm not a fan of the recent crop of martial arts films from Thailand - eventhough the action may be entertaining, the storyline and acting is just awful (and I'm including Ong Baks, The Protector, and Chocolate in there).

Last edited:
im into martial arts films too:D

DONNIE YEN NEVER FAILS :D

flash point
kill zone
ip man 1,2
dragon tiger gate
14 blades

if you are into samurai movies...some of my faves:
samurai fiction
the hidden blade
twilight samurai
and of course any kurasawa film

i would say these aren't typical martial arts films with mostly action (like shaw brothers). these are more story based. if you want more action, i would recommend samurai fiction out of all of these.

My favourite martial arts movies:

- Police Story (and Police Story 2)
- The Raid 2: Berandal (and The Raid)
- Undisputed II+III
- Ip Man 1+2 (so looking forward to the 3rd!)
- Fearless
- Drunken Master
- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Also very nice:

- Ong Bak
- Revenge of the Warrior
- Action Hunter
- Unleashed
- SPL: Kill Zone
- Bodyguards and Assassins

Huge martial arts movie fan here. Most of the films mentioned in the previous posts are essentials.

Baramui Paiteo (Fighter in the Wind) 2004 is AWESOME.
Ip Man, Fearless, Drunken Master 1 & 2 and the Shaw Brothers classics all top my list