Recommend me things to do in San Fran!!

cooey

Premium Supporter
Jan 5, 2012
UK
Going to San Fran for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon this September.

We already have a 2 hour hop on/hop off bus tour pass booked as well as an Alcatraz tour booked.

What can anyone recommend that we do whilst we are there? :)

Reactions: denizen
Buy some U.S steelbooks lol

I'll be going with a hefty list of BDs to bring back with me, and I remember where Best Buy is in NY too for when we finish our honeymoon off there ;)

Come on guys, all you good chaps in the US and you can't recommend anything to do in San Fran?? :D

Reactions: Twanky
When you going again? Read that the new Terminator film will be shooting in SF & New Orleans for a 4 & a half month shoot, with shooting commencing end of April. :D

Ride a trolley .... if that isnt common in UK.

also be sure to visit the winding road!

Reactions: cooey
1: Golden Gate Bridge
2:Fisherman's Wharf pier 39 sea lions and check out the USS Pampanito, a WWII submarine museum and memorial, and Ghirardelli Square.
3:Golden gate park .

and of course a visit to china town for rare Asian steelbooks

Last edited:
I live 40 minutes from SF and rarely go into the city unless it's for a baseball game. I do know of a few things that may interest you guys though.

You could visit Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf or check this list out.

You guys could drive about an hour (depending on traffic) to the north and do this.

Head south to Monterey and see the aquarium, Pebble Beach and 17 Mile Drive. Check this link for more info. 17 Mile Drive is great and so is the aquarium.

There are also a few different State parks where you can see the Redwoods, etc.

Samuel P. Taylor

Portola Redwoods

Castle Rock

Take a drive out to Stinson Beach if you like pretty coastal views, wooded areas and sandy beaches. It's approx. 45 minutes north of SF.

Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Reactions: MK50 and cooey
Rent a car for a day and do the wineries in Napa or Sonoma, there is a Walt Disney Museum, Sausalito (went to the Trident restaurant there), and Lombardi street

aside from the normal stuff mentioned (Alcatraz, Fisherman's, Trolley, etc...)

Rent a car, and drive the coast-we renting a Ford Mustang some years ago, put the top down, and did a self-guided tour of a few 'movie-themed' stops...lots of fun, and included the original house from 'The Birds'. Went to 'Bodega Bay' and the restaurant where a few scenes were shot. A few years before that we also rented a car with a bunch of friends and drove to Napa, not into wine, but it's gorgeous out there. Definitely ride the trolleys (just part of the San Fran experience), and there a few cool museums there as well. This is the site I used as a loose guide when we went a few years ago http://www.citysearch.com/best/sanfrancisco but there are many others, as well as a few good 'off the beaten path' type guides for a quick overview.

Try to walk on the Golden Gate...often windy up there, but the views are very cool. If you go to the top of most of the streets and look down (it's quite steep to walk up there), but the bay view is pretty as well.

Have a great time, Matt!

I do not know about the whole San Francisco but I have been to Monterey and Carmel. So, I can suggest you about them both. Carmel and Monterey both are the places where you have lot of things to do and enjoy. Below is the list of fun things to do in Carmel/Monterey :

In Monterey :
  • Monterey Bay Aquarium - Sprawling marine life attraction
  • Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey, California - Fishing, seafood, harbor, whale watching, walking
  • Cannery Row - Wine, shopping, walking
  • Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Auto & motorcycle racing
  • Monterey Old Town Historic District - Iconic historic homes & landmarks
  • Pinnacles National Park - Park featuring caves & rock formations
  • Colton Hall - A Museum
  • Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo - Cathedral, chapel
  • Monterey Museum of Art - Art gallery, museum
  • Larkin House - History, garden
  • Lake El Estero - Fishing
  • Fort Ord Dunes State Park - Park with ocean beach & bluff-top views
  • Museum of Monterey - Art exhibits & local maritime history
  • Presidio of Monterey, California - Outdoor recreation

In Carmel :
  • Point Lobos - Coastal hikes, diving & a whaling museum
  • Mission San Carlos Borroméo del río Carmelo - Historic 18th-century church & museums
  • Monterey Bay Aquarium - Sprawling marine life attraction
  • 17-Mile Drive - Golf, canyon, beach
  • Carmel River State Beach - Scenic bird sanctuary with scuba diving
  • Tor House and Hawk Tower
  • Forest Theater
  • Garrapata State Park - Ocean views & 2 miles of beachfront
  • Sunset Cultural Center
  • Jacks Peak Park - Pine forest hikes & vista views
  • Asilomar State Beach