*1987 Featurette: Shooting Robocop
*1987 Featurette: Making Robocop
*The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Animator Phil Tippett
*Deleted Scenes
*Villains of Old Detroit
*Special Effects: Then and Now
*Robocop: Creating a Legend
*Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
*Commentary with Director Paul Verhoeven, Writer Ed Neumeier and Executive Producer Jon Davison
*Theatrical Trailer
*TV Spot

29pymv6.jpg

Available January 21, 2014

Attachments

• 2mnkgm8.jpg
    2mnkgm8.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the UK steelbook had the same BD that has been available for a years, I'd hardly call it exploiting :)

This is a BD that a lot of movie fans have been waiting a long time so we can finally retire our Criterion DVDs as the current BD is terrible :D

I think you've got me wrong.

The exploitation as I see it is that the studios couldn't be bothered to do a high quality restoration/transfer etc before this, and so expect buyers to double, triple or even quad dip if you bought the old LD as well. And after delaying long and hard, making it look like they'll never bother to do it really right etc.

That is exploitation.

As an aside, personally, I wouldn't say the previous BD is 'terrible' and is probably the best it has ever looked prior to this new release. A bit dark in some places, certainly bearing too much film grain, but still head and shoulders better than the old LD and even the 20th anniversary DVD I'd say, having seen all three.

I think you've got me wrong.

The exploitation as I see it is that the studios couldn't be bothered to do a high quality restoration/transfer etc before this, and so expect buyers to double, triple or even quad dip if you bought the old LD as well. And after delaying long and hard, making it look like they'll never bother to do it really right etc.

That is exploitation.

So basically then you could say the same for every movie that you've ever bought on VHS, then on Laserdisc, then onto DVD then onto HD-DVD and then onto Blu-Ray? It happens all the time.

As an aside, personally, I wouldn't say the previous BD is 'terrible' and is probably the best it has ever looked prior to this new release. A bit dark in some places, certainly bearing too much film grain, but still head and shoulders better than the old LD and even the 20th anniversary DVD I'd say, having seen all three.

I'm guessing you've not seen the Criterion DVD? Way way better than all previous DVDs and the current BD. The 20th anniversary DVD was OK and I don't mind the BD personally as I'm not as anal as a lot of other people but it's undeniable that it could look a lot better, as proven by the Criterion DVD, IMO of course.

Not saying you're wrong at all mate, it's just nice to get a bit of discussion going :)

So basically then you could say the same for every movie that you've ever bought on VHS, then on Laserdisc, then onto DVD then onto HD-DVD and then onto Blu-Ray? It happens all the time.

I'm guessing you've not seen the Criterion DVD? Way way better than all previous DVDs and the current BD. The 20th anniversary DVD was OK and I don't mind the BD personally as I'm not as anal as a lot of other people but it's undeniable that it could look a lot better, as proven by the Criterion DVD, IMO of course.

Not saying you're wrong at all mate, it's just nice to get a bit of discussion going :)

I concede I'm probably being a bit harsh on studio ethics. But honestly sometimes they know they could do a better job/ put mor einto the discs etc. first time out, but simply aim to squeeze the buyers for 'just one more copy'.
Think Alien, Star Wars franchises etc. and how many special edition, ultimate edition, collectors editions there have been, and you'll see some of my point, I'm sure.

I admit openly to not having seen the Criterion DVD. I do however know they have a reputation (not always deserved, as I've seen ropey from them too) for quality transfers/remasters etc.

I wouldn't doubt for one moment it may well be better quality - God knows the MGM special Edition DVDs of The Great Escape, the Battle of Britain and A Bridge Too Far (to name but three) are, overall, substantially better then the BDs currently on offer, no matter how much some people talk up the BDs.

Perhaps I should say 'In My Opinion'; but I think it's more a matter of just opening our eyes and yeah, as you intimate, not being anal; and putting faith in BD being automatically better than DVD when it clearly isn't.

Oh, and very pleased to have a discussion rather than the slanging match these things sometimes turn into :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cooey
Picked this up at a Best Buy today. Transfer looks great. I might pop in my old disc to see the difference.

First time I've ever seen the director's cut. Pretty funny thinking a few extra seconds of bloody violence was the difference between an R & X rating.

Much prefer the DC over the Theatrical cut :D

It seems the Wizards have reviewed this (over at our favourite other forum.... yes that is sarcasm :D ) and it's got top marks!

Can't wait for mine to arrive

Much prefer the DC over the Theatrical cut :D

It seems the Wizards have reviewed this (over at our favourite other forum.... yes that is sarcasm :D ) and it's got top marks!

Can't wait for mine to arrive

ah...slow today, I didn`t get first what you were saying. :emb:

Picked this up at a Best Buy today. Transfer looks great. I might pop in my old disc to see the difference.

First time I've ever seen the director's cut. Pretty funny thinking a few extra seconds of bloody violence was the difference between an R & X rating.

Interesting. Best Buy must have put them out early? I ordered it online but if they are in store I'll cancel my online order.

If you check, Best Buy has changed the release date on their website. It looks as they had early release rights. Picked up 2 today. The movie money make the film basically free.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Reactions: darczap
Best Buy must have put them out early? I ordered it online but if they are in store I'll cancel my online order.

They're being sold at BB already! Yup, I'm also canceling my order and going to the store tomorrow! Getting 2, one for me and for Hooch! :thumbs:

The movie money make the film basically free.

I like the sound of that! Definitely going to see it in theaters come February! :LOL:

Reactions: Hooch and darczap
Well done

cooey and I went in and ordered a copy from Amazon (£7.30 each shipped)

Silly not too really

Popped mine in my region free player set to region B and I can't get past the 20th Century Fox logo screen. I didn't get the region code error so must be my player as it's not truly a dedicate region B player.