• B

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Both

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release Date: 4th March, 2015 (*Pre-order date is January 30, 2015)

Purchase Links:
Design A - $33.99 (SOLD OUT)
Design B - £33.99 (SOLD OUT)
Dual Pack (A+B) - $65 (SOLD OUT)

10612757_623585821119237_7366513135415021611_n.png

Note : PA008 <De rouille et d'os>(Rust and Bone, 2012) : Pre-order will start at 10AM, 30th January, 2015.(Korea Standard Time) Further information will follow soon.

'RUST AND BONE' Print number change : Local retailers demanded more copies, therefore the total print run has increased to 2,000 from 1,800. The following numbers are for our international customers...

● Design A : Numbered 1 through 1,000 (But 400 copies only for international customers)
● Design B : Numbered 1 through 1,000 (But 400 copies only for international customers)

1. Design A
1.jpg

a.jpg

9.jpg

2. Design B
0.jpg

b.jpg

11.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Plain Archive: the beginning

To our international customers,

With the release of The Wrestler and Melancholia, we were able to physically show you that we care about the quality of our products. However, we feel that our intentions and goals need to be better communicated.

So here it is.

The Plain Archive Story : The beginning - A tiny Korean company with big ambitions.

Juno Baek has been writing reviews of DVDs, blu-rays, and home theaters for almost 15 years through local magazines. When he was approached by a company called Life Labs Media to work on blu-rays, Juno was thrilled. There, he worked on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Tree of Life, Wu Xia, and others.

After working on several projects, he wanted to start his own company and bet big on Lars von Trier’s Melancholia knowing it wasn’t a huge blockbuster.

“I saw Melancholia in the theater and what an overwhelming experience it was. But I knew no-one was going to do a blu-ray release because it didn’t do well in the box office. I found out who the distributor was, and bought the rights soon after,” said Juno, CEO of Plain Archive.

But almost everyone that knew Juno tried to stop him from establishing this venture. It was extremely risky.

“In the early 2000s, DVD sales were great. Bong Joon-ho’s The Host, as an example, sold somewhere between 60,000 and 70,000 copies. The market was big enough for companies to invest in DVD productions. Cast and crew were basically summoned to record commentaries back then. But when Blu-rays arrived, the market began to crumble. To reach the break-even point as quickly as possible, companies were cutting costs left, right, and center. And the overall quality of blu-ray releases dropped significantly. So I thought, why not go the opposite direction and put a lot of care into these products?” said Juno.

To release Melancholia, Juno commissioned an artwork for the slip case, attended a book-making class to figure out the booklet he was going to include in the package, and asked creative individuals to write and draw to fill the blank pages.

He says it’s worth the effort.

Oldboy, the 10th anniversary edition is Plain’s most ambitious project of 2014. Juno pitched the idea to director Park Chan-wook, and he was immediately on board. Plain is currently working on the steelbook design, a new audio commentary, a photo book, and video interviews.

You can expect Plain Archive to release the following titles this year.

In no particular order:

The King of Pigs
I Saw the Devil
Om Shanti Om
The Master
Zero Dark Thirty
Blue Is the Warmest Colour
Rust and Bone
Holy Motors
Oldboy

Plain Archive’s main goal is to continue to make products that satisfy blu-ray collectors and ultimately movie fans around the world.

Culture beyond Media.

- [Hyunhu Jang] Hyunhu Jang
Freelance Writer, The Verge @hyunners