So I think I got the YLOD. What to do?

splax23

Premium Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
The D
So I was playing Red Dead for A few hours when all of the sudden boom the thing shut off. Then when i turned it on I got a Green, Yellow, then Red Light. With some beeps in there. I think it kicked the bucket. I have had it since launch and it is a 60gb. Does this mean its dead? If so should I pay the 150 for sony to fix it or should i purchase a new one? Or is there something else I can do. My game is stuck in there right now which I am not happy about.

My vote will always be to fix it yourself. If you have Sony do it you lose everything. All your saves, all your music, pics, and videos.

You can fix it SUPER easy by following:

Once you have it fixed you can back everything up and get a new PS3 then install everything onto the new one... Or you can keep playing the old one and fix it as many times as you want until you're finally tired of it... lol.

But if you have Sony do it you're not going to get your system back. Just the same model that's been refurbished...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can send it to Sony and for $100 bucks they will send you a refurb 120gb slim. I think I might just end up doing that with my launch 60gb ps3, I cant remember ever using the slots or the bc.

You can send it to Sony and for $100 bucks they will send you a refurb 120gb slim. I think I might just end up doing that with my launch 60gb ps3, I cant remember ever using the slots or the bc.

They are no longer sending back 60GB refurbs?

@Splax - Yes, the HDD should be fine, it's just the GPU.

Didn't know there is this possibility. Do you know if its in EU too or US only?

Have a UK launch 40gb, still running but overheating with certain games, need to upgrade....

My hard drive is ok its just the GPU and CPU right?

some people even have luck by turning the ps3 over and using a hair dryer on the bottom. for about 5 minutes. then wait for it to cool off before turning back on.

I think i may buy a new PS3 and save the 60GB and eventually have sony fix it. I have always wanted two bluray players so this might be the right time. Now I need to determine whetever to buy a 160gb or 320gb. I see there is a 320gb deal where you get Infamous 2 for $299. I plan on switching out the ps3 harddrive with my 320gb harddrive so i may just get the 160gb for $249. Oh decisions

bit the bullet last night and ordered a 160gb :) should be here tomorrow. no i gotta figure out how to get red dead out of my old ps3 lol

bit the bullet last night and ordered a 160gb :) should be here tomorrow. no i gotta figure out how to get red dead out of my old ps3 lol

try the hair dryer trick, might be good enough to at least get the game out.

I seen it on youtube how many people breathe life into their Ps3s when they get the ylod.

basically what happens, is the soldering comes off a bit and then gives you YLOD ... so people take thier PS3's and simply turn them upside down ... and turn on a hair dryer and use it on the bottom for about 3-5 minutes ... the bottom of the ps3 should be very hot then .... which bascially reheats up that solder and moves it and many times back in place (at least thats what I gather from it) then you let it cool off, plug it back up ... and turn it on. There are people where that happens to them and its good for a few months to a year again and they rinse, repeat process. etc.

So im just saying, it might at the very least work enough for you to press eject on your game and/or back up any saves etc.