Species (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jul 13, 2016
United kingdom
Release date: September 11, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre Order will be live on Saturday August 5th around 6pm UK time)
Price: £15.99

11524887-1444505040149562.jpg

11524887-8904505040171093.jpg
11524887-1814505040183951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tha_lunatic
"PG" cover for an "18" certificate film . . . although what she was grasping in her right hand which had to be airbrushed out is open to question :naughty:
Continuing the trend of unsexy steelbooks (considering what maybe could have been used) which includes the upcoming EX-MACHINA and the just released live action GHOST IN THE SHELL iterations.

Very decent film with an undeniably very sexy alien - even more so than the alien in ALIEN (lol) - and with fresh artwork can't be a bad thing . . . although if going for the arty approach Id have preferred (a) reminiscent of those '50s and '60s horror film posters.
For a different approach there's always the Amaray artwork from 2006 or in (b) and (c) a couple of variants of the same:-

(a) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (b) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (c) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ln6elqgu.jpg
---
1ymdtlss.jpg
3hvzpbu7.jpg

There's even the ALIEN-inspired Egg imagery . . . which I suppose is hardly surprising considering the late great H.R. Giger was involved in the creature designs:-
pzdsi1l7.jpg
3sznczvp.jpg

Prefer the French title translated to THE MUTANT but I imagine that title has been used before on something else . . .

. . . and finally H.R. Giger's designs for SPECIES - https://giger.com/page.php?page=151 / http://www.littlegiger.com/articles/files/Cinefantastique_27_7.pdf

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T
Any catalogue old movie, exception of a few, you should just wait around 3 months and the price will usually drop. £15.99 is way too high. They should be £9.99. I won't be getting any of their new wave until the price drops.

Any catalogue old movie, exception of a few, you should just wait around 3 months and the price will usually drop. £15.99 is way too high. They should be £9.99. I won't be getting any of their new wave until the price drops.

I wouldn't buy it if it was for free. Pop Art NO SALE. Give me proper artwork and I'll bite....... Simple and brutal as that

One could always make the front more interesting with this flip lenti:-
upload_2017-8-5_23-47-34.png
upload_2017-8-5_23-48-54.png

For the fan there is / there was this limited to 500 statuette of Sil which looks like it ticks most of the boxes (maybe not the face box though):-
7158_press01-001.jpg

species2.jpg
species4.jpg
species6.jpg
species8.jpg
species10.jpg
species12.jpg
species14.jpg
species16.jpg
species18.jpg

species20.jpg
species22.jpg
species24.jpg

species28.jpg
species30.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T
Maybe it's me but if I was designing a steelbook, i would make sure i"m not going to do something that totally alienates a huge chunk of my fan base.

. . . not forgetting the original ethos of steelbooks was for creativity and for the steelbook designer to exhibit maximum artistic licence with the images allowed . . . not just to take the easy option by sticking a bunch of floating heads, a still from the film or even replicating the original poster designs every time (yawn!)
Massive demand for original artwork on home video with Arrow, Eureka, Second Sight et al going out of their way to give our shelves colourful artwork by commissioning great, original art from recognised artists such as Graham Hunphreys, Stephen Bissette, Justin Erickson, Tyler Stout, Matthew Griffin, Tom Hodge, Rick Melton, Dan Mumford, Gary Pullin, Paul Shipper, Jeff Zornow and other luminaries.

Evidently not all artwork successful (Fox set of 10 released in France and elsewhere in March of this year probably the least successful of any steelbook set I've ever seen) but I for one appreciate originality and just because this SPECIES steelbook isn't the #1 choice it's bound to be re-released in another steelbook with better content and better artwork some time further down the line.

17th Sep. 2017
DJyE9KEWsAAFnOH.jpg

DKQ8JlOUMAE28K4.jpg:large

DKQ8E2FUIAA_GKG.jpg:large

DKQ8GcwV4AAgXol.jpg:large

DKQ8ID_VwAE_roC.jpg:large

Last edited:
As soon as you see the artwork it stinks. No getting away from it which is why I'm puzzled they still press ahead instead of just gong for the proper artwork from the film. I have yet to see one pop art steelbook that works. They vary between dire and awful......... No point in letting someone loose on a design for a steelbook if what they come up with insults a 3 year old......