SteelBook Collecting Snobbery

Do you have a "multi-cultural" SteelBook collection?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013
UK
In my many years collecting, I have noticed that there are two kinds of SteelBook collector - Those that are willing to import foreign releases (regardless of country of origin), and those that only collect their native releases. I have also observed that the latter generally tend to be the minority!

I have also experienced a certain level of "snobbery" when it comes down to buying SteelBooks, mainly here on HDN. It seems that so long as a title exists as a Blu-Ray SteelBook somewhere in the world, that's good enough for most people. If anyone creates a feedback thread requesting a Blu-Ray SteelBook for their country that currently doesn't exist, but which may exist elsewhere, it gets shut down straight away!

I speak from experience. I have created several threads recently asking for certain titles to be released as UK SteelBooks, yet these threads have been closed on account that these titles already exist in other countries. I'm afraid that's unaceptable, and just because other countries have these releases why should that mean my requests are any less valid? I was under the impression that the purpose of the SteelBook feedback forum was to request SteelBooks that are not yet available - These titles are not available in the UK, therefore I feel these threads should not have been locked.

It feels slightly "snobbish" to simply dismiss a thread just because other people may collect worldwide releases. Not all SteelBook collectors collect foreign imports, and would like the chance to request titles for release in their country - As I have done. I can name several titles that have had an American SteelBook release, but have still yet to be released at all on Blu-Ray here in the UK, so does that mean I can't request them? (rhetorical question)

I'd like to ask that these threads be re-opened on the grounds that UK SteelBooks don't exist for these titles, and the threads are still valid:

Sin City

Demolition Man

The Italian Job

Dredd

Spider-Man 1-3

Jurassic Park

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sir Hilary Bray
Yes I think the forum would get very confusing if you had to request Steelbooks for specific countries. The alternative would be to have separate forums for each country, but I think that would just create a lot of redundant sections, this part of the site is quiet enough as it is. I think the way it works right now is the best for most members of this site who do collect from all over the World. I think it's time to start casting your Steelbook net a little wider, there are some great Steelbooks waiting to be caught :scat:

By the way, The Italian Job was supposed to be getting a UK release which is why the thread was closed, but it was postponed until 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: FanOfGaming
I don't think it would be a good idea to have multiple threads for each and every country, there would simply be too many too list. You could have upwards of 15 threads all requesting steelbooks for different countries which is bound to lead to confusion. We know there are all kinds of collectors here on Hi-def Ninja and we try to cater for everyone but sometimes it is simply not possible. It appears that the majority of collectors do seem to purchase Steelbooks from different places so this way is the best way to maintain the feedback section at the moment.

If you have any ideas or want to leave feedback on the site you can post a thread in the Support section here.

Last edited:
There's no need to have separate threads for each country. Just leave the threads open and post a note at the top of the first post, with links to the respective threads for the ones that have been released in other countries

I can name dozens of SteelBooks that exist in other countries and not the UK, and vice versa, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the threads should be closed just because a user has requested a particular release that's not available in their country

There's no need to have separate threads for each country. Just leave the threads open and post a note at the top of the first post, with links to the respective threads for the ones that have been released in other countries

I can name dozens of SteelBooks that exist in other countries and not the UK, and vice versa, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the threads should be closed just because a user has requested a particular release that's not available in their country

What you are suggesting is still a massive amount of work considering all the threads that are in that section. Especially if you have a title for example that has been released in 10 places but someone wants a release in their country. That would mean updating the lists with links to all the Steelbook releases that exist. That will be a massive amount of work for someone to sort out and keep maintained. As you can see by the poll there is only 1 vote for people who buy only native Steelbooks. We have to cater to the masses and the bulk of people are interested in worldwide releases it would appear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.