Steelbook Investment

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
Seeing many members selling off their entire collection's got me to thinking.

"Are Steelbooks a great long term investment or a good short term investment?"

I myself buy Steelbooks (and many other editions of media) for the artwork and design alone. With that said, I do admire many editions that are now OOP that I would love to own. In my mind, in order to justify buying one of the Grail or higher level Steelbooks it not only has to be aesthetically appealing to me but also a great long term investment. Researching the DVD format G1 Steelbook's has lead me to have mixed feelings.

One of the "Grail" DVD Steelbooks "X-Men The Last Stand Future Shop Exclusive" is selling for $3.00-$39.99 at the most.

With the rise of 4K Ultra would you say that Blu-ray Steelbooks are destined for the same fall from grace? I just want to here some educated opinion about the matter of Steelbook Investment. If its all about aesthetics should you wait for the possible value decline or do you go for what you want regardless of the facts. So what are the facts on these beautiful media artifacts?

Thanks in advance for your comments, thoughts and guidance!

Last edited:
To me, they're great for several reasons. For films i really enjoy, i like to have something "special" to display, for myself and others to look at, and talk about.

Besides that, it's nice to collect something from a variety of different countries. I have been all over the world, and i have small things from each of the countries i have visited. Steelbooks allow me to do the same, without actually having to go there, lol.

Last but not least...i do tend to invest in potential sale / trade material when it comes to highly anticipated releases. I do it with steelbooks, Korean imports and even cars. Funding a hobby by utilizing certain "side-effects" of said hobby, is a beautiful thing.