Swervin's Layer of Awesomeness

Swervin

Premium Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
AZ
A quick background of my setup. I bought an old house 4 years w/ my girlfriend and her kids. When touring the house the first time, I noticed wall plate covers on the ceiling and started churning an idea in my head, that this big room was use for a projector and screen. After moving in, I started throwing the idea around of the ultimate screen and projector combo, which was shot down quickly, every time. Giving up on the idea, and being busy with my new lifestyle of living with girlfriend, I settled fr a nice tv.

Well time went by and we had a nasty split and she moved out. Now the house was mine and I could do what I want. However, financial situations changed, forcing me to add a roommate. And since this roommate was my best friend and both of us living it up like bachelors do, my money was spent on the bar scene and other scenes, none which had saving planned. Instead of saving for my long term goal, I went with a quick resolution, getting a 3d tv and then adding a 7.0 speaker setup.

This was fine as I wasn't home often between work and socializing. However all this socializing lead to one night my buddy meeting his now wife and moving out. He moved out and another financial change came, but this one was different as I started budgeting my finances. After a while my goal came back to adding my long awaited screen and projector. Wanting to do it right I started researching on this build and saw it will take awhile and some money to get it right. Finally after a year of savings and planning, I saved up for phase 1 of my 3 phases.

My setup will include my tv for daytime viewing as well as video games. I'll have a 16:9 120" diagonal screen and a 2.35:1 115" diagonal screen. Both motorized and both hidden above my tv in a soffit. The soffit and screen wall will be painted black, a plush black rug will be laid on my tile in front of the tv/screens, new blinds will be added on my 2(!) sliding doors (they're side by side) and black out curtains will be hung in front of blinds to kill all light. The same curtains will be hung in the doorway leading to my kitchen, and the cutout that looks into the kitchen sink. Finally to cover my bedroom door, yet keep it white, a nice velvet curtain.

Anyways if you're still reading my story, phase 1 started today. All pics are taken via iphone 4s, so not to sexy.

Here's is a before taping certain measurements
image7-1.jpeg

Another before showing the full size of my wall
image-48.jpeg

Prepped and moved everything
nosf.jpeg

Moved the biggest portion in
soffit.jpeg

Soffit textured and mounted (view from kitchen)
clean.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
soooo crazy update but i have forgone the rest of this project, as i bought a house w/ a dedicated theater.

Yea after the electrical issue I was joking that is sell my house. A month layer I was browsing after my brother just bought one and he sent a link of one that was perfect. Dedicated room, server room behind the theater, double drywall with riser insulated. Once my house sells I'm change a couple of things to it and buy separate speakers do I can keep my Energys for the living room.