Taobao-Retailer Thread

Tiger

BANNED
Dec 13, 2011
London, UK
Hi I am no sure if I was right put this thread,
I tried order wreak it Ralph Steelbook with white cover regular and declined my bank then sudden Barclay bank texted me said card was fraud and asked me if I bought something in USA for £130!! I answered NO then they cancels card, it is protected
I don't understand why website taobao do it?

Be carefully
Anyone!

Take care

Last edited:
One would think its because they've seen your card being used on a foreign website for a decent sized sum. Do you make purchases like that often?

If you told them the purchase was valid it may have stood?

Not sure why it shows up as US though.

DO NOT BUY FROM TAOBAO

Many, if not all, products from here are heavily discounted fake goods.

Side note:
Here in Toronto, designer winter jackets are a huge among thousands of people. I was on the market to buy one and one of the sites that claims to sell real ones is Taobao but at a much less cost than any other retailer. That company is NOT an authorized retailer of the jackets and another forum has stated that their designer jackets at least are indeed fake. This authenticity may not apply to all of their goods, but I would not even dare trust them.

I hope your card was okay in the end! Hopefully other members of this forum know never to buy from this site!

Last edited:
Correct. Taobao is China's eBay.

There are many fake items for sale. But that is no different to eBay.

As a precaution one should never use a credit card buying from Taobao. They have a payment system called Alipay. This is the equivalent of Paypal. It offers much better protection as the seller only receives your money when you get your item. Just like an escrow service.

Alipay is only available in China (there are workarounds) so people outside China should be extra careful when wanting to buy from Taobao.

So I've been looking for some out of print slipcovers for Hong Kong Blu-rays and my friend suggested to take a peek on Taobao. I've been reluctant to use them, but a couple of months ago, Australia Post opened up a store on Taobao's Tmall and started selling prepaid Alipay cards in their stores. I took the plunge and placed my first order just now. First up, I have a basic working level of Chinese so navigating wasn't too bad, but like a lot of Chinese sites in general, there's all this screen clutter that almost makes it overwhelming. Because of this, I would NOT recommend anybody without an understanding of Chinese to use Taobao. It's also a much more complicated version of eBay (e.g. ratings are represented as a series of diamonds which turn into crowns or something) and there are a lot of really cool functions, as well as others that baffle and confuse me.

Anyway, you can use overseas addresses now. You can even sign up to Alipay, although you'll need a passport for ID verification. I noticed certain search results didn't show up when I was signed in, so I guess just like eBay, sellers can restrict whether or not they post overseas. Now postage is what I'm not too sure about. It ended up looking way too cheap for both standard and EMS options, and if you're from overseas, Taobao actually offers a choice of mail forwarding services on checkout. It also looks like all payments are processed through Alipay now, so you can be slightly less apprehensive about using your credit card in China. I used a disposable prepaid card so worse that'll happen is I'll lose my money and won't actually get anything. I've lost money from reputable sellers like KimchiDVD and buyoyo before so I'm used to every online purchase being a gamble really. I'll report back once/if my order arrives.

tl;dr You can shop on Taobao if your not from China/HK/Macau/Taiwan now, but everything's still in Chinese only and I'm sure there's still some kinks to be worked out.