The Crow (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: May 18, 2015
Purchase link: The Crow
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2500 Copies. Gloss Finish.

crow.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Proyas directing with Michael Wincott, David Patrick Kelly, and Ernie Hudson. A Graeme Revell score. Neo-Bladerunner production design. a Nine Inch Nails Cover of a Joy Division tune...what doesn't this movie have that you could possibly want?!!:thumbs:
"I guess it's not a good day to be a bad guy, huh Skank?"
tumblr_mzzppmqDwl1s2ntk9o6_250.gif

Any go live date/time? Off to see the woman in black today @ 11 & a preview of big hero 6 tomorrow at the same time-if I miss this will have to ebay it...

Don't worry, this won't sell out quick. People were positive other cult classics like 'They Live' would sell out in no time, and they simply don't anymore. Most people are waiting now.

Alex Proyas directing with Michael Wincott, David Patrick Kelly, and Ernie Hudson. A Graeme Revell score. Neo-Bladerunner production design. a Nine Inch Nails Cover of a Joy Division tune...what doesn't this movie have that you could possibly want?!!:thumbs:

A decent UK disc! The EiV Blu-ray is a PAL 1080i transfer with a standard DTS 5.1 soundtrack!

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=14432

Last edited:
Reactions: UpsetSmiley
Don't worry, this won't sell out quick. People were positive other cult classics like 'They Live' would sell out in no time, and they simply don't anymore. Most people are waiting now.

yeah, and even if it does 'sell out' it will come back, they always do. there is absolutely no need to rush to pre-order with zavvi. almost every title i have ever wanted with zavvi that has been hyped, i have got. even if i cancelled it and it sold out, i would always get it when they offered the cancellations etc for sale. even those steels that people said you had absolutely no chance of getting your hands on again (ie army of darkness etc) i got. i paid my fair share of 'early adopters tax' in 2014, but no more. this will hit the bargain bucket, as they mostly all do.

The ONLY guaranteed sellers these days seem to be the Marvel titles, anything else just isn't worth shelling out full price for anymore - even a classic like the Crow.
My thoughts exactly... so many great films/steels are still in stock at a new lower price, so I'll wait for this to do the same before I pick it up - 2015 is all about playing the waiting game! ;)

Reactions: UpsetSmiley
The ONLY guaranteed sellers these days seem to be the Marvel titles, anything else just isn't worth shelling out full price for anymore - even a classic like the Crow.

And what's bad about that is that it will discourage Zavvi from doing anything new. Like, I want them to have the opportunity to do a full DreamWork series like they're doing with Disney and Pixar (I'm not even asking for so-called "arthouse" stuff here), but if Shrek and How to Train your Dragon stay in stock forever despite price cuts (and I see that situation looming), it won't exactly make them want to continue (I know these particular steelbooks have their share of problems with everything printed on them, but that means there's plenty room for improvement, and I want my HtTyD 2 and my Shreks and many others).

I truly think one way for Zavvi to get out of the "ultra limited print run" hole that no one's buying (in every sense of the word) is to have numbered steelbooks and/or full slips (+ a "Zavvi exclusive" sticker?), or even lenticular slipcovers/magnets, as it seems to be the case with the new Avengers steelbook (it will sell out, but to be fair Marvel stuff would sell out even if there was no lenticular).

They're already in repeat mode with the safest release in the world (Avengers) and the Fox lineup consisting of films already released in steelbook in the UK not so long ago (I Robot, Prometheus, Avatar, Life of Pi, etc.).

And I don't know about you but I prefer them releasing diverse films such as The Crow, Wild at Heart, American Psycho and Dead Man than Marvel DTV animated films (Planet Hulk, Hulk Vs., Thor: Tales of Asgard, etc.).

Then obviously they should make these steelbooks more attractive, with new transfers/discs and a glossy finish (I'm not even asking for new visuals - if the amaray has the only good artwork then screw it, it's not like we are going to put the steelbook side by side with the original amaray and think "darn, they should have used a different artwork just for the sake of it being different").

And what's bad about that is that it will discourage Zavvi from doing anything new. Like, I want them to have the opportunity to do a full DreamWork series like they're doing with Disney and Pixar (I'm not even asking for so-called "arthouse" stuff here), but if Shrek and How to Train your Dragon stay in stock forever despite price cuts (and I see that situation looming), it won't exactly make them want to continue (I know these particular steelbooks have their share of problems with everything printed on them, but that means there's plenty room for improvement, and I want my HtTyD 2 and my Shreks and many others).

I truly think one way for Zavvi to get out of the "ultra limited print run" hole that no one's buying (in every sense of the word) is to have numbered steelbooks and/or full slips (+ a "Zavvi exclusive" sticker?), or even lenticular slipcovers/magnets, as it seems to be the case with the new Avengers steelbook (it will sell out, but to be fair Marvel stuff would sell out even if there was no lenticular).

They're already in repeat mode with the safest release in the world (Avengers) and the Fox lineup consisting of films already released in steelbook in the UK not so long ago (I Robot, Prometheus, Avatar, Life of Pi, etc.).

And I don't know about you but I prefer them releasing diverse films such as The Crow, Wild at Heart, American Psycho and Dead Man than Marvel DTV animated films (Planet Hulk, Hulk Vs., Thor: Tales of Asgard, etc.).

Then obviously they should make these steelbooks more attractive, with new transfers/discs and a glossy finish (I'm not even asking for new visuals - if the amaray has the only good artwork then screw it, it's not like we are going to put the steelbook side by side with the original amaray and think "darn, they should have used a different artwork just for the sake of it being different").

Its not Zavvi deciding what releases happen for most of their exclusive steelbook releases that's decided by the Film Studios what releases get a steelbook done with a few requested by Zavvi that get approved by a film studio

Some Film Studios have a contract with Zavvi to take exclusives the decision on what these titles are is by the film studio and other times they are offered to Zavvi or other retailers or other countries a release happens instead if there is a market for the release in that country
Some end up as exclusives with a retailer or on general sale with all retailers and some don't happen as no agreement can be got for a release to be an exclusive as in rejected by a retailer

With Zavvi they have contracts with film studios for a amount of stock and number of releases
These type of contracts can be risky or very good as you may get a run of releases that will sell very well or the opposite happen that's part of the risk

The number of releases that a retailer approaches the film studios and they approve an exclusive to do is tiny as most releases are up front decided by the film studio not the retailer
Only a small number of releases in last few years was a retailer asking a film studio can we get a steelbook for this film and both sides working on what the artwork would be and some release ideas is turned down by a film studio for a number of reasons

90% of the steelbooks last 2 years was film studios idea and they prefer a retailer to agree to an exclusive so they get all stock sold at agreed dealer price and if does not sell well its the retailer who makes a loss not the film studio

Last edited: