digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Crow

Director: Rupert Sanders

Cast: Bill Skarsgård, FKA Twigs

Plot: A reboot of the 1994 cult classic The Crow.

From IMDB

Per First Showing:
"Straight out of left field comes a wholly interesting development regarding the remake, or rather all-new adaptation, of James O'Barr's comic book The Crow. Last time we updated you on the forthcoming reboot of the comic book adaptation, producer Edward Pressman said an offer was out to a major actor and things were moving ahead "very aggressively" with an eye towards shooting this year. With the end of the year on the horizon, it's unlikely the film will take off before 2011, but Bloody Disgusting is reporting that Mark Wahlberg has been offered the lead role of Eric Draven, a man brutally murdered who comes back to life as an undead avenger.

It seems like a bit of a longshot since big name actors are offered roles like this all the time, but the prospect is certainly enticing. It would certainly be a great redemption from doing a similarly toned flick like Max Payne. Remember writer Nick Cave is behind the script for this new iteration on The Crow with Stephen Norrington (Blade, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) onboard to direct. Combine all these talents and we're in for quite an interesting take on The Crow. Would you like to see Mark Wahlberg as The Crow?"

It certainly would be interesting considering the writing and directing talents behind it but I just can't see Mark Wahlberg playing that type of character.
Max Payne was the closest to The Crow character-wise and I know Mr. Wahlberg tried but he just couldn't pull it off.
Unless, of course, they're trying to change the entire character of the Crow and not keeping him as dark....

Well, my anticipation for this has completely gone down now after this.

from ComingSoon.net:
"Director Stephen Norrington is no longer attached to The Crow, reports Mania.com.

When approached for comment about casting rumors, Norrington told the site that he was off the project, following the demands of an unnamed actor to completely overhaul the script (which Norrington had drafted and which was rewritten by Nick Cave).

"As I had gotten involved explicitly as a writer-director my exit was inevitable," says Norrington, "I was bummed. I had developed a genuinely authentic take that respected the source material while moving beyond it, and Nick Cave came in and added more depth. I think the fans would have been pleasantly surprised."

The current status of the project is unknown but it will presumably move forward with a different creative vision."

This may turn out to be another "Wolf Man".

I am a MASSIVE fan of the original, and for this remake to work, in my mind I have a very short list of those I could see as The Crow and are young enough to make this into a long term franchise remake but also very talented. Max Payne does not make my list.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Ben Foster
Jim Sturgess

'Crow' remake (Staring Mark Wahlberg)

Mark Wahlberg has reportedly been offered the lead role in the remake of The Crow.

According to Bloody Disgusting, the Other Guys star is the top choice to play the anti-hero in director Stephen Norrington's franchise revamp.

The new Crow will take place in Detroit and follow a murdered man who returns from the dead to avenge his and his girlfriend's death. Norrington earlier described his take on James O'Barr's comic book character as "realistic, hard-edged and mysterious".

Original Crow star Brandon Lee died during the filming of the 1994 original when he was shot by a blank bullet. Director Alex Proyas completed the movie after the accident as a tribute to Lee.

They need to draw the line at these remakes somewhere. I don't think anyone sees Dirk Diggler as Eric Draven being a good choice.

Per Gofobo:

Relativity Media is ready to resurrect "The Crow," as "28 Weeks Later" director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has closed a deal to direct the studio's re-invention of the 1994 action cult classic.

Though no talent is attached yet, Relativity is looking to put "The Crow" into production this fall. Fresnadillo will collaboratively develop the screenplay once a writer is attached to adapt the script from James O'Barr's comic book series, which has sold more than a quarter-million copies worldwide.

Studio CEO Ryan Kavanaugh will produce along with original "Crow" producers Edward R. Pressman and Jeff Most, as well as Apaches Entertainment's Enrique López Lavigne and Belén Atienza. Relativity's Tucker Tooley will exec produce, while co-producers include Pressman Film Corporation's Jon Katz and Apaches' Jesús de la Vega, as well as José Ibáñez.

"Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is an incredibly talented and imaginative filmmaker," said Tooley. "We are thrilled to have him at the helm and are excited to work with both Pressman and Apaches on what we all believe will be a compelling and innovative reimagining of The Crow."

The reboot will again follow cult hero Eric Draven, who is resurrected as The Crow to avenge his wife's murder so he can reunite with her in the hereafter.

"The original Crow was groundbreaking cinema; its gothic visual and musical ideas influenced a generation and cinema itself," added Pressman. "With Juan Carlos, we have every confidence that his new Crow will have a similar impact on the contemporary audience."

The original, which grossed $51 million stateside, starred Brandon Lee, who was killed in a tragic accident during filming. Pic was subsequently dedicated to his memory, as well as his fiancee Eliza Hutton. It spawned three sequels that respectively starred Vincent Perez, Eric Mabius and Edward Furlong as The Crow, along with a TV series toplined by Mark Dacascos.

Why remake a movie that's perfectly fine? I love the original film with Brandon Lee, why remake it Hollywood? Why? where are the new fresh ideas? originality?!

Horhay, they are literally resting on the recognizability of familiar franchises. It's getting disgusting, IMO. I can't say I was a HUGE fan of this film, though it was interesting and unique. But this regurgitating, in a creative medium such as film, is truly sad.

im ok with a remake as the original has its flaws in comparrison the O'Barr graphic Novel. That said, i dont want to see Orland Bloom cast in this part either.

@ DB I agree, I think originality is almost gone. Studios complain about people not going to the theaters, illegal downloading, etc. well this is the reason why!

People aren't willing to pay the exorbitant prices at the theaters anymore especially when it's just a remake! Then people have the audacity to complain about movies like Inception for attempting to bring something different to the table.

Remake of the Crow?....it Won't make a dime from me,the original was way too good to be Topped IMO,it just had that realistic scum bag place feeling to it the way it was filmed....Reminds me a realistic version of "Sin City" without all the CGI taking over.

Linky no worky lol

But found it on a movie news site, new Director but looks like Star is about to walk as he's busy now with lots of other movies.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database