paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: June 4th , 2018 - Re-release June 6, 2022
Purchase Links: Amazon UK - Hmv - Zavvi
Price: £22.00 (Amazon) - £22.99 (Hmv) - £21.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: New 4K restoration - Includes a 64 page booklet with brand new essays, and photographs, plus a rare print of an ariel photograph of the Mohne dam post raid, signed by the original 617 squadron

81O+oTSZXvL._SY445_.jpg

91nJ1pAzIHL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Do think they should have had a 4K disc
4K scan remastering is not same thing as 4K video
No need for 4K UHD with this release

It seems to me you are getting 4K video mixed up with film restoration scanning of a negative

Film restoration 2K/4K/6K/8K/12K scanning of film negatives has been around years before 4K video ever existed

No not getting confused. I quote

For the 2018 restoration of The Dam Busters, STUDIOCANAL went back to the original 1954 camera negative and sound negative. The camera negative was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit and the ACES workflow was applied to the restoration process which resulted in the creation of a 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today’s biggest international film releases.

So they could have done a 4k release.

No not getting confused. I quote

For the 2018 restoration of The Dam Busters, STUDIOCANAL went back to the original 1954 camera negative and sound negative. The camera negative was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit and the ACES workflow was applied to the restoration process which resulted in the creation of a 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today’s biggest international film releases.

So they could have done a 4k release.
4K UHD format and 4K Scan restoration are not the same thing

What's important is the restoration process itself with the film negative to improve picture and sound quality and fix errors that are on the original negative

There is no need for a 4K UHD release IMO at the moment due to amount of consumers who have not upgraded to 4K UHD yet
It's more important a HD 1080p Blu-ray got a release as more consumers use Blu-ray than UHD

DVD version I admit is something I could have done without with this release

DVD though still sells more than UHD in terms of unit sales so I can understand why studiocanal included DVD in collectors edition and also done standard DVD release on its own

Independent film distributors will wait for UHD to have better unit sales before doing back catalog films from 40's/50's/60' on UHD
New films from studiocanal yes and high demand back catalog films from 80's/90's and later have better chance of selling on UHD at later stage

Doing UHD/Blu-ray release now would impact sales due to price increase and fact that a lot of consumers have not upgraded to 4K UHD yet if released now

In a few years time if UHD sales overtake Blu-ray and DVD then would be a good time to release films from 40's/50'/60s on UHD as it would have better chance of selling well

But my point is still valid. They could have done a 4k release. Unlike a lot of "4k releases" this was actually done in 4k for the restoration unlike a lot of 4k releases which are just upscales from 2k. Yes they would have had to have done a bit of extra work for the 4k specs but it's still a native 4k restoration.

But my point is still valid. They could have done a 4k release. Unlike a lot of "4k releases" this was actually done in 4k for the restoration unlike a lot of 4k releases which are just upscales from 2k. Yes they would have had to have done a bit of extra work for the 4k specs but it's still a native 4k restoration.
UHD is still in it's early stages in terms of the amount of consumers who have upgraded to 4K in their homes

Film Distributors want high volume of sales with back catalog releases especially independent distributors due to costs involved.
Doing UHD/Blu-ray combo release now would reduce unit sales of a back catlog release simply due to majority of consumers not upgraded to 4K UHD
That risks other films not getting any re-release

You are just going have to wait till 4K UHD sales increase enough to a level it's worthwile a distributor doing a 4K UHD release to get decent sales

Back catalog is the main business of film distributors and is why you see lots of re-releases of popular films over the years

New films can be short term in terms of good sales but does not always lead to been good back catalog title for later re-releases

Your not going to get a film distributor manfacture thousands of UHD discs for a back catalog film until they know there is a decent amount of unit sales to be got

Film restoration itself is what is good to see happening and is more important than a film getting a UHD release.

A lot of films have had 4K restorstion scan done most of these did not get UHD release as that was not the purpose of the restoration itself

Blu-ray HD 1080p is still high picture quality for most consumers and it's going to take a while before majority upgrade to 4K UHD in homes

You have to look at business side with film distributors they want decent unit sales with releases
They could yes do small print runs of UHD for back catalog but that means higher unit costs for a distributor so they have less profit on a release

Yes there are increasing number of consumers who have upgraded to 4K but are at the moment a niche market compared to most consumers who purchase Blu-ray or DVD

The big film studios Warner/Fox/Sony/Disney etc can afford to take risks with units numbers with UHD as it cost less compared to independent film distributors

A lot of films that get 2K and 4K restoration scans and new extras done are from independent film distributors who pay a licence fee to the major film studios do these releases so for them to start releasing on UHD they will want to be sure of decent unit sales

Back to the collectors edition Blu-ray release itself the widescreen 1.75:1 looks fantastic and extras are very good

First time on Blu-ray and DVD the film can be watched in it's original aspect ratio 1.75:1

Previous VHS/DVD/Blu-ray releases was aspect ratio 1.33:1

Funny I've never had a problem with the 1:37:1 aspect ratio and the reason is very simple. It was filmed open matte like a lot of Hammer films so I enjoy the 1:37:1 ratio. It's like the Mummy 1958. They released it in 2 aspect ratios for the set like The Dam Busters and like the Dam Busters I preferred the 1:37:1 aspect ratio. But each to their own. Slightly off tangent I'll going to see the new Jurassic Park film today and it's the 1st of them to be filmed in full widescreen. Should be interesting to see what my local multiplex does. For the record when I went to see the Dam Busters in the special showing last month, the 1st 5 minutes were 1:37: 1 and then it went to 1:75:1.
And yes the Blu-ray of the Dam Busters is a joy to behold and is an upgrade on the previous two. I have those editions as well.

For those that missed out on the Collector's Edition

StudioCanal are doing a limited re-issue
Release date June 6th 2022