The Middle Earth Collection (Blu-ray Limited Collector's Edition) [USA]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: October 4, 2016 (Amazon) - November 1, 2016 (In stores)
Purchase links: Amazon - Best Buy - Import CDS
Price: $499.96 $389.99 $328.45 (Amazon) - $559.99 (BB) - $503.91 $368.75 (Import)

1000568050_BRDBEAUTY_9d0b4bd8.jpg

In-hand pics by @srngsmb HERE

1000568050_BRDRGT_cffb9913.jpg

A1s7jP7fYpL._SL1500_.jpg

Middle Earth Collection:UCE (AMAZON/6-pack/BD) (BD)

- For the first time ever, Academy Award®-winning director Peter Jackson's epic adventure is available in one spectacular limited collector's edition box set.
- The Limited Collector's Edition includes 30 discs featuring all six Middle-earth films in their extended edition forms, housed in six stunning faux leather books and a collectible Hobbit-style wood shelf. The one-of-a-kind wood shelf is crafted from solid wood with design selected by Peter Jackson.
- In addition to the extended edition release of every film, the collection also includes all previously released bonus content from both the theatrical and extended editions.
- Exclusive premiums designed for the collection include: · Spectacular 100-page sketch-style book with replica The Red Book of Westmarch, filled with original film sketches and new artwork · Original reproductions of exquisite watercolor paintings by acclaimed conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe, framable and wall-ready
- THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY – Follow Bilbo Baggins, who – along with the Wizard Gandalf and 13 Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield – is swept into an epic and treacherous quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG – Our heroes escape the giant Spiders and Wood-elves of Mirkwood before encountering the mysterious Bard, who smuggles them into Lake-town. Finally reaching the Lonely Mountain, they confront the Dragon Smaug. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – The Dwarves of Erebor have reclaimed their homeland, but face the consequences of unleashing Smaug. As five great armies go to war, Bilbo fights for his life, and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must unite or be destroyed.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING – With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo Baggins embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS – In the middle chapter of this historic movie trilogy, the Fellowship is broken but its quest to destroy the One Ring continues. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING – The final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring.

Last edited:
happy days. the (UK version of this) behemoth has landed. :woot::woot::woot: for those interested, pics follow. :)

Unboxing
if you're still considering this and can find a copy, it was sent to me by amazon UK double-boxed, with the product itself very well secured in bespoke form-fitting polystyrene. this is a good thing, as it's pretty heavy, and the last pretty heavy thing i got sent in the mail broke twice before i finally got an undented one.

Shelf
most of the weight comes from the wooden shelf it all lives in. i'm no wood expert, but it's solid, well made and fits the contents to the millimetre. would have been nice to have a back image or carving for the price, but there you go. also of interest, in these shots you can see the perfect binding they have used on the 'leaves' of the 'books', which house the discs. this means you can open the books properly without worrying about whether they will split.

Artbook
the artbook and other art products are georgeous. the artbook is in a (faux?) leather book, and the quality of the artwork and repro is excellent. this is easily one of the best aspects of the set for me. nice to see some of the sketchy stuff as well as the finished products. of course, if you're really interested in the artwork first, you'd buy one of the many books available, but for a film set extra, this is pretty good. the UV code is one of all six films and mine expires in 2019.

Hobbit trilogy
all of the film 'books' are in the nice faux leather, and all are heavily debossed. the LOTR trilogy has better examples IMHO, but these are those for The Hobbit trilogy.

each of the 'leaves' of the book is sturdily made from some sort of card material that doesn't bend or flex (i certainly haven't tried!). the various 'pages' are either transferred photos or sketchy renderings. almost all of the pages have 'distressed' features in the artwork, in the same way that the faux leather of the books themselves has weathering to look aged.

i know that the 'sleeves' for the discs themselves are not always popular, but these seem to be very well done, with a glossier stock behind the discs for ease of removal and to help prevent scratches.

LOTR trilogy
i prefer the covers to these, i think they're clearer and better rendered that those for The Hobbit trilogy.

inside it's the same approach as the Hobbit.

it is worth it? for this price, of course not. :rofl: for this price, you'd need a personal BJ from PJ himself, i think, to make it value for money. :D but i don't regret dipping into my savings one bit.

of course there will be another even more amazing set to come from the endless re-marketing of these films, featuring 3D versions and extra extras, which will probably come with your very own gold One Ring, Fellowship Cloak and replica Sting, but this will certainly do me (while i remortgage my house to pay for it).

happy days indeed.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jb hifi here in australia has 20% off and i get an extra 10% off with being signed up. So 30% off this very tempted,still expensive though but works out at $467 be a while i think before this drops to this here as normally $649

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the Mexico version if the price was around $350-$370? I live on the border and got mine from there when the price was $250 but it seems to be at about $320 now. Don't know when exactly I would do it. Would def depend on interest.

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the Mexico version if the price was around $350-$370? I live on the border and got mine from there when the price was $250 but it seems to be at about $320 now. Don't know when exactly I would do it. Would def depend on interest.
Is that usd? And including shipping or are you asking collectors from USA only I'm in Australia but do believe if I wait and with a bit of messing about can get one local at descent price. Is this edition in English not like German ones etc?

Is that usd? And including shipping or are you asking collectors from USA only I'm in Australia but do believe if I wait and with a bit of messing about can get one local at descent price. Is this edition in English not like German ones etc?
yes USD, im not sure how much shipping would be to Australia, In the US i can do media mail, but this thing is heavy.

Signed by Frodo – Elijah Wood, that I had pleasure to meet in 1Q of 2020. This unboxing video may be not the perfect one, as it may be too fast for some viewers, but when I was working on new editing (slower tempo), my hard drive’s life was stopped. Anyway, I still got my “old cut” of the unboxing – and here it is! I hope that you like it, at least I am sure that those who liked my first videos with fall in love with this one.

As always I also attach very detailed photo unboxing (110+ photos) – so check it out, as it may fill all needed gaps for those who want to see everything in detail.
LINK: Middle-earth (The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings) - Limited Collector's Edition signed by Elijah Wood [Blu-ray] [USA]

Middle Earth set was released some time ago, but only now I finally got my hands on it. Extended editions of both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings all in one big package + extras, took me a while to watch. Each film comes with extensive documentaries chronicling the creation of each film - all bonus content ever released for both the theatrical and extended editions of each movie is included in this set. That adds up to 30 discs total.

Let’s be fair – its big, but it’s the best set and probably it will be hard to beat it (Taiwan DVD set, may be good contender, but there is no Hobbit and Blu-ray in it). Each movie comes in a "faux leather" book, and the six books fit on a solid, "Hobbit-style" wooden shelf with a design selected by Peter Jackson. Shelf is solid and heavy, you can feel the difference. This wooden edition is wooden (!). There's also a recreation of the Red Book of Westmarch. It contains 100 pages of sketches and artwork from conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe as well as inserts in post-card style with maps and other goodies. Both Lee and Howe worked on all six films, and both artists have worked in Tolkien's universe since long before Jackson's films arrived. On top of that 2 watercolor reproductions of their art are included as well, ready for framing.

Signed by Frodo – Elijah Wood, that I had pleasure to meet in 1Q of 2020. This unboxing video may be not the perfect one, as it may be too fast for some viewers, but when I was working on new editing (slower tempo), my hard drive’s life was stopped. Anyway, I still got my “old cut” of the unboxing – and here it is! I hope that you like it, at least I am sure that those who liked my first videos with fall in love with this one.

As always I also attach very detailed photo unboxing (110+ photos) – so check it out, as it may fill all needed gaps for those who want to see everything in detail.
LINK: Middle-earth (The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings) - Limited Collector's Edition signed by Elijah Wood [Blu-ray] [USA]

Middle Earth set was released some time ago, but only now I finally got my hands on it. Extended editions of both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings all in one big package + extras, took me a while to watch. Each film comes with extensive documentaries chronicling the creation of each film - all bonus content ever released for both the theatrical and extended editions of each movie is included in this set. That adds up to 30 discs total.

Let’s be fair – its big, but it’s the best set and probably it will be hard to beat it (Taiwan DVD set, may be good contender, but there is no Hobbit and Blu-ray in it). Each movie comes in a "faux leather" book, and the six books fit on a solid, "Hobbit-style" wooden shelf with a design selected by Peter Jackson. Shelf is solid and heavy, you can feel the difference. This wooden edition is wooden (!). There's also a recreation of the Red Book of Westmarch. It contains 100 pages of sketches and artwork from conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe as well as inserts in post-card style with maps and other goodies. Both Lee and Howe worked on all six films, and both artists have worked in Tolkien's universe since long before Jackson's films arrived. On top of that 2 watercolor reproductions of their art are included as well, ready for framing.

great work, thanks for sharing! :thumbs: congratulations on finally getting a copy of this fabulous edition. :wow: and getting it signed by Elijah Wood is the massive cherry on top, superb! :woot:

i agree entirely with what you were saying (my unboxing's further up the page :Snap:). if i had to sell everything i own, it's probably the last thing i'd sell. the solidity of the whole set, the gorgeous faux-leather books, artwork, and of course the films themselves, plus the best extras ever recorded.

many weekends of bliss so far - and many more to come. :happy:

Anybody knows what the difference is between these 2 listings ?