Horror-Theatrical The Neon Demon - In theaters June, 2016

Jan 31, 2012
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Neon Demon (2016)

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Mystery[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Nicolas Winding Refn[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Elle Fanning[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Abbey Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jena Malone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Keanu Reeves[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Christina Hendricks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bella Heathcote[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2016-01-01[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: An aspiring model finds herself in a terrifying predicament with her survival hanging in the balance.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
6ihkIMgK3wfOpS9yT9oVUPXSTiZ.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

There isn't all too much info at this point but I figured with so many Drive fans floating around in here, people would be interested to hear a scant few details and check out the first poster (or concept?) image for Nicolas Winding Refn's all-female horror flick.

Credit goes to http://twitchfilm.com/ for the info:

GAUMONT & WILD BUNCH encounter THE NEON DEMON...

After Only God Forgives (in competition at Cannes Film Festival 2013), Gaumont and Wild Bunch team up again to co-finance and co-distribute the next film by Nicolas Winding Refn.

The Neon Demon reveals a horror tale with a young female driven cast, written by NWR and Mary Laws.

About the origin of the movie, Refn said, "One morning I woke and realized I was both surrounded and dominated by women. Strangely, a sudden urge was planted in me to make a horror film about vicious beauty. After making DRIVE and falling madly in love with the electricity of Los Angeles, I knew I had to return to tell the story of THE NEON DEMON."

Refn's partner, Lene Borglum (Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives) will be producing under their joint company, Space Rocket.

Principal photography is set to begin in the first quarter of 2015 and will be filmed in Los Angeles, CA. The cast will be announced later this year. Refn's regular collaborators, editor Matthew Newman (Bronson, Drive, Only God Forgives) and composter Cliff Martinez (Drive, Only God Forgives) will be joined by director of photography, Philippe Le Sourd (The Grand Master) on the production of NWR's film.

Gaumont and Wild Bunch will be selling the movie at the upcoming AFM for a 2016 release.

"I'm very excited to continue my wonderful relationship with Wild Bunch and Gaumont on my next film, THE NEON DEMON. This movie is a manifestation of the strong ties between us and will lead to many more adventures," said Nicolas Winding Refn.

-------

I just hope this one will get NWR back on track after Only God Forgives. :emb:

Attachments

• neon.jpg
    neon.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are a big fan @dan8885! That's a nice set!:) I would try them but the trailer looks like there's a lot of handheld footage in there. I'm not a fan of shaky cam so try to avoid it when possible!

For us it was like Scarface or Menace II Society back in the days. We watched Pusher multiple times. Sure theres handheld footage but you need to keep in mind it was the first movie of Refn by the age of 26. Pusher I and II got also a strong 7,4 rating on IMDB. I don't know how I would like them today if I never watched them. I like to revisit them for the memories I connect to them or to enjoy busy Copenhagen. A city I really love.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Thanks mate, the trailers didn't make them look great. It seemed like they were a low budget kind of movies. I will probably pass on them if they aren't as good as his newer movies. The picture on Fear X is definatly better than the DVD mate, let me know that you think of it!:)
Yes, very low budget. I watched them after I'd already seen his last four films, and they didn't really have the Refn touch that we know today IMO, so I was a little disappointed. They're certainly not bad films though, and I think I may like them more on rewatch, since I know what to expect now. :)

I really like the Pusher Trilogy but I watched them first when I was a teen. So I got a lot of memories connected to the movies. We was big fans of actor Kim Bodnia and most of his movies like "In China they eat Dogs" or "Bleeder". I got an awesome DVD Collectors Edition of the Pusher Trilogy with Soundtrack CD, cooking receipts and everything :LOL:

View attachment 248247 View attachment 248246
View attachment 248245
Very cool edition! Think I might have to try and hunt that down myself. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and dan8885
For us it was like Scarface or Menace II Society back in the days. We watched Pusher multiple times. Sure theres handheld footage but you need to keep in mind it was the first movie of Refn by the age of 26. Pusher I and II got also a strong 7,4 rating on IMDB. I don't know how I would like them today if I never watched them. I like to revisit them for the memories I connect to them or to enjoy busy Copenhagen. A city I really love.
It does have a good rating on IMDB. I might check them out one day!:thumbs:

Yes, very low budget. I watched them after I'd already seen his last four films, and they didn't really have the Refn touch that we know today IMO, so I was a little disappointed. They're certainly not bad films though, and I think I may like them more on rewatch, since I know what to expect now. :)

Very cool edition! Think I might have to try and hunt that down myself. :D
Yeah I think watching his later films first doesn't help. You can't help but compare his first films to his recent ones!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Noodles

Finally some Keanu!

Interesting role for him and i suppose we won't see him much if he's just a motel owner or whatever that place was she's staying

Really looking forward to this one. Not that I didn't like it but I'm personally hoping it's better than OGF and its looks visually more attractive too. Although OGF was visually awesome too

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885
Finally some Keanu!

Interesting role for him and i suppose we won't see him much if he's just a motel owner or whatever that place was she's staying

Really looking forward to this one. Not that I didn't like it but I'm personally hoping it's better than OGF and its looks visually more attractive too. Although OGF was visually awesome too
Yeah, looks like a small role unfortunately. Apparently his character is a bit of a d*ck to Elle's, which makes me wonder if there's any consequences.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Yeah, looks like a small role unfortunately. Apparently his character is a bit of a d*ck to Elle's, which makes me wonder if there's any consequences.

Hmmmm interesting thought, and what kind is consequences do you mean or think?

(Add in spoiler if you wish)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Hmmmm interesting thought, and what kind is consequences do you mean or think?

(Add in spoiler if you wish)
Well, Elle's character seems to turn from good to evil, so I'm thinking she may end up killing everyone that's been mean to her. Someone actually posted a single word (basically a sub-genre) when talking about the film on Twitter the other day, which is something I'd never considered, but would actually be kind of cool! I won't say what the word was though, because it'd be a pretty big spoiler if it is true. Although, it seems kind of obvious to me now when I look back at the trailers lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Well, Elle's character seems to turn from good to evil, so I'm thinking she may end up killing everyone that's been mean to her. Someone actually posted a single word (basically a sub-genre) when talking about the film on Twitter the other day, which is something I'd never considered, but would actually be kind of cool! I won't say what the word was though, because it'd be a pretty big spoiler if it is true. Although, it seems kind of obvious to me now when I look back at the trailers lol.

I'll let you know when I see the film and you can tell me that word :)

I think I can guess the word though

Well, just got done watching this and it wasn't really what I expected... I'm not sure whether that's good or bad though to be honest.

A part of me expected some form of vampirism, which I suppose they did kind of touch on at the end (this is what I was referring to in my earlier post Flloydo). Overall, I expected it to be a lot more violent throughout... instead they left it until 10 mins before the end to give us our first taste of any proper violence. That said, I was still fascinated from start to finish and enjoyed almost every bit of it.

Elle was fantastic! Jena was great too. And even Keanu... for the little screen time he had he stole those few minutes for me. Oh, and the soundtrack?! :drool:

Not one of my favourites from NWR, but still a very strong entry. As always, I can't wait to see what he does next!

@Flloydo @Sigill I look forward to hearing what you guys think. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and Sigill
Well, just got done watching this and it wasn't really what I expected... I'm not sure whether that's good or bad though to be honest.

A part of me expected some form of vampirism, which I suppose they did kind of touch on at the end (this is what I was referring to in my earlier post Flloydo). Overall, I expected it to be a lot more violent throughout... instead they left it until 10 mins before the end to give us our first taste of any proper violence. That said, I was still fascinated from start to finish and enjoyed almost every bit of it.

Elle was fantastic! Jena was great too. And even Keanu... for the little screen time he had he stole those few minutes for me. Oh, and the soundtrack?! :drool:

Not one of my favourites from NWR, but still a very strong entry. As always, I can't wait to see what he does next!

Thanks for the review @Noodles! It sounds like you are a little dissapointed In it mate. How did you watch it, can you stream it from Amazon UK?

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo

Cheers mate, i still haven't seen it but I have a feeling I will prefer it to only god forgives. I'll come back and read your spoiler once I've seen it

• Thanks
Thanks for the review @Noodles! It sounds like you are a little disappointed In it mate. How did you watch it, can you stream it from Amazon UK?
I do feel slightly underwhelmed, but then my expectations were stupidly high and my imagination may have run a little bit wild. I still really liked it though and feel I'll only like it more on rewatch, as I know what to expect now.

It's not available to stream in the UK yet unfortunately, but it is in the US... obviously I don't live in America though, so I may have been a bit naughty and watched it by other means. :muted:

Cheers mate, i still haven't seen it but I have a feeling I will prefer it to only god forgives. I'll come back and read your spoiler once I've seen it
I preferred OGF, but I felt Neon Demon was easier to follow, so I wouldn't be surprised if more people prefer it for that reason alone. There's a small comment in that spoiler tag for you mate, but yeah... obviously don't open it until you've seen the film! ;)

• Thanks
I do feel slightly underwhelmed, but then my expectations were stupidly high and my imagination may have run a little bit wild. I still really liked it though and feel I'll only like it more on rewatch, as I know what to expect now.

It's not available to stream in the UK yet unfortunately, but it is in the US... obviously I don't live in America though, so I may have been a bit naughty and watched it by other means. :muted:

I preferred OGF, but I felt Neon Demon was easier to follow, so I wouldn't be surprised if more people prefer it for that reason alone. There's a small comment in that spoiler tag for you mate, but yeah... obviously don't open it until you've seen the film! ;)
Haha I see!:naughty: My expectations are pretty high aswell, I'm not sure what to expect though. As long as the visuals and soundtrack are good though I'm sure I will like it.:) How is the pace mate, is it a slow burner like OGF.

• Thanks
Haha I see!:naughty: My expectations are pretty high aswell, I'm not sure what to expect though. As long as the visuals and soundtrack are good though I'm sure I will like it.:) How is the pace mate, is it a slow burner like OGF.
The soundtrack and visuals are probably the best thing about it, so you're all set there! The pace is pretty slow IMO... it all kicks off quite late in, which was one of my main criticisms.

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post