Horror-Arrow-UK To Live and Die in L.A. (Blu-ray + DVD)

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release Date: 21st November 2016
Purchase Links:
Arrow Films
Price: £15.99
Amazon UK
Price: £19.99
Zavvi
Price: £14.99

13901529_1262151367152188_6465361874051386018_n.jpg

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 4K restoration from the original 35mm negative supervised and approved by director William Friedkin
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
  • Original Uncompressed Mono PCM audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by director and co-writer William Friedkin
  • Counterfeit World: The Making of To Live and Die in L.A. archive featurette containing interviews with Friedkin, actors William Petersen and Willem Dafoe, and others
  • Alternative ending
  • Deleted scene
  • Stills gallery
  • Trailers
  • MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED!
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson

Last edited:
Fantastic! A friend and I were talking just last night about how underrated and amazing this movie is.
William Peterson is so good in this. He was on an acting hot streak at the time with this and Manhunter.

Fantastic! A friend and I were talking just last night about how underrated and amazing this movie is.
William Peterson is so good in this. He was on an acting hot streak at the time with this and Manhunter.

Yeah, Great film. The car chase- the wrong way down the freeway - done in real time is amazing - right up there with the best car chases ever.

I have the US edition, but I must have this as well.

You're right William Peterson was set to be a complete movie idol at this time. What the hell happened???!!

Reactions: C.C. 95
*** TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. FULL SPECS***

The time has come to reveal the final specs for our upcoming release of To Live and Die in L.A.! Check out the full info below

---------------------------------------------------

A FEDERAL AGENT IS DEAD. A KILLER IS LOOSE. AND THE CITY OF ANGELS IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE.

In the seventies William Friedkin made The French Connection, The Exorcist and Sorcerer. In the eighties he equalled them with To Live and Die in L.A., one of the most stylish thrillers the decade had to offer.

When his partner is murdered just days before retirement, Secret Service Agent Richard Chance (William Petersen, Manhunter) begins an obsessive hunt for his killer – counterfeiter and all-round psychopath Eric Masters, played by Willem Dafoe at his villainous prime.

Beautifully shot by Robby Müller (Repo Man, Paris, Texas) and with a driving score with British new wave act Wang Chung, To Live and Die in L.A. looks and sounds exceptional in this brand-new 4K restoration from the original 35mm negative.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original 35mm negative supervised and approved by director
William Friedkin
• Optional 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo audio (with DTS-HD Master Audio and Uncompressed PCM
on the Blu-ray)
• Taking a Chance, a brand-new interview with actor William Petersen
• Doctor for a Day, a brand-new interview with actor Dwier Brown
• Renaissance Woman in L.A., a brand-new interview with Debra Feuer
• So In Phase: Scoring To Live and Die in L.A., a brand-new interview with composers Wang Chung
• Wrong Way: The Stunts of To Live and Die in L.A., a brand-new interview with stunt co-ordinator Buddy Joe Hooker
• Counterfeit World: The Making of To Live and Die in L.A., an archive featurette containing interviews with Friedkin, actors Petersen and Willem Dafoe, and others
• Alternative ending
• Deleted scene
• Stills gallery
• Trailers
• Radio spot
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by Anne Billson and contemporary coverage.

I haven't had time to compare.
How do the ARROW and SHOUT versions differ?
@paulboland
They are the same
This release was done in collaboration with Shout
Arrow Video did the restoration (Brand new 4K restoration from the original 35mm negative)
Shout did the extras for both releases

Only difference is artwork on the Blu-ray cases otherwise both releases are the same Video transfer and extras
Arrow Video release has as an exclusive the booklet and DVD

Arrow Video
14695471_1333724153328242_5697710754417963150_n.jpg

• Brand new 4K restoration from the original 35mm negative supervised and approved by director
William Friedkin
• Optional 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo audio (with DTS-HD Master Audio and Uncompressed PCM
on the Blu-ray)
• Taking a Chance, a brand-new interview with actor William Petersen
• Doctor for a Day, a brand-new interview with actor Dwier Brown
• Renaissance Woman in L.A., a brand-new interview with Debra Feuer
• So In Phase: Scoring To Live and Die in L.A., a brand-new interview with composers Wang Chung
• Wrong Way: The Stunts of To Live and Die in L.A., a brand-new interview with stunt co-ordinator Buddy Joe Hooker
• Counterfeit World: The Making of To Live and Die in L.A., an archive featurette containing interviews with Friedkin, actors Petersen and Willem Dafoe, and others
• Alternative ending
• Deleted scene
• Stills gallery
• Trailers
• Radio spot

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by Anne Billson and contemporary coverage

Shout Select
product_images_modal_TLADILA.BR.Cover.72dpi__7Bad6b2988-cbdf-4c23-924e-e5e242db6e08_7D.png

Bonus Features
  • NEW 4K Scan Of The Negative Supervised And Approved By William Friedkin
  • NEW Taking A Chance – An Interview With William Petersen
  • NEW Wrong Way: The Stunts Of To Live And Die In L.A. – An Interview With Stunt Coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker
  • NEW So In Phase: Scoring To Live And Die In L.A. – An Interview With The Band Wang Chung (Jack Hues And Nick Feldman)
  • NEW Renaissance Woman In L.A. – An Interview With Actress Debra Feuer
  • NEW Doctor For A Day – An Interview With Actor Dwier Brown
  • Audio Commentary With Director William Friedkin
  • Deleted Scene And Alternate Ending
  • Counterfeit World: The Making Of To Live And Die In L.A.
  • Still Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Radio Spot

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
I'd expect a slight difference in the encoding (if that's the right term) - Shout tend to be a bit darker than Arrow even when using the same transfer.

I'd expect a slight difference in the encoding (if that's the right term) - Shout tend to be a bit darker than Arrow even when using the same transfer.
Arrow Video did the video remastering for the shout release
It's a joint collaboration between Arrow and Shout
Shout did the extras
The Blu-ray releases are the same content same transfer and encoding only different by region code locking
Arrow is only different by including a booklet and DVD and different artwork

Shout will be Region A
Arrow will be Region B

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 9789
Shout did the extras
The Blu-ray releases are the same content same transfer and encoding only different by region code locking

Shout will be Region A
Arrow will be Region B
I think he is thinking of those times when Arrow and Criterion release the same title (like THIEF) at around the same time, and their transfers differ.
Now I know for sure that Shout got their idea for the reversable sleeve from Arrow!!
(it's a good idea to steal, because it's just a good idea period!)

Reactions: Deleted member 9789
Shout did the extras

Shout will be Region A
Arrow will be Region B

Didn't know that! Was thinking of the recent release of The Burning as an example.

Dispatched a couple days ago £13 from Amazon. Should be receiving it tomorrow. Looking forward to watching it again one of the best 80's flicks! :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
My Order was shipped by Amazon UK on Saturday along with Start Trek Beyond Steelbook
Shipped using carrier Asendia (n):(

Asendia is a disaster for parcels they arrive late or not at all and lot that do arrive are damaged
If you use free shipping Amazon use this carrier I don't know why they still use them as they had to send replacement orders for a lot of customers especially in Ireland
I'm sure I'm going to end up having amazon to send a replacement of the Star Trek steelbook

Most of my parcels shipped using asendia have arrived with some form of damage and I don't hold much hope the steelbook arriving without damage as the packaging is basic when they use this carrier

My Order was shipped by Amazon UK on Saturday along with Start Trek Beyond Steelbook
Shipped using carrier Asendia (n):(

Asendia is a disaster for parcels they arrive late or not at all and lot that do arrive are damaged
If you use free shipping Amazon use this carrier I don't know why they still use them as they had to send replacement orders for a lot of customers especially in Ireland
I'm sure I'm going to end up having amazon to send a replacement of the Star Trek steelbook

Most of my parcels shipped using asendia have arrived with some form of damage and I don't hold much hope the steelbook arriving without damage as the packaging is basic when they use this carrier

I feel like Amazon are aggressively trying to nudge everyone into Prime in the UK and probably in the US as well. Seems to me going with free shipping on non-preorder items is taking longer to even have them dispatched than they used to be. I could count on them usually shipping my items within 24 hours and now if I choose free shipping they can take 3 or 4 days to be dispatched and often arrive on Sundays via courier. However if I go with 1st Class they're usually out within 24 hours. Makes sense of course paying for 1st Class but why the disparity in dispatch times? I can only assume they're not updating until they know they're in the hands of couriers.

Hope your luck changes with them Paul and you get your Blus damage free for once!