TwistedMetalPS3E3-51.png

TwistedMetalPS3E3-52.png

TwistedMetalPS3E3-53.png

TwistedMetalPS3E3-54.png

E3 Trailer:

Pre-Order: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6KWZK/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Leveling up systems 'f**k up the core product,' says Jaffe

Eat Sleep Play’s David Jaffe has hit out at multiplayer XP and leveling up systems, labelling them the videogame equivalent of preservatives in food and believes the feature could risk damaging the core product "on a fundamental level."

“It seems there are LOTS of peps who want leveling up and unlocking for the new Twisted Metal. Fair enough. We may do this (still deciding aspects of that system)," Jaffe said on Twitlonger.

"BUT for me I find it very interesting that key reasons people bring up for wanting it are things like 'so I don't get bored', 'pushes me to keep playing beyond the first month'".

"It's almost like the game equivalent of preservatives for food designed to keep the game from going bad after just a few weeks,” he continued, adding, "But just like food, it doesn't seem to matter if these preserving agents **** up the core product or takes something away from the core product."

On the flip side, Jaffe said that he fully understands why punters love the feature, as well as believing it to be good business. "In the case of games the fun inherent in the core design can get diluted and/or reduced as a player is taking his mind off the core game and staying focused on the meta goal of acquiring rank and goodies and such."

"I get 100% why people love it and I get how it's good business in many ways to include it. Just trying to decide if it ends up hurting the core game at a fundamental level,” he concluded.

Twisted Metal to have panel at ComicCon, says Jaffe

David Jaffe has revealed that the new Twisted Metal game for PlayStation 3 will be making a panel appearance at the San Diego ComicCon later this month.

In addition, the Eat Sleep Play head honcho also said that the game might be playable at this year's Penny Arcade Expo (PAX), though wasn’t sure whether or not it’d show up at Gamescon in August.

Jaffe Tweeted: “I have not heard if we’ll be at [gamescom] or not. Would love to! I know we’ll have a panel at ComicCon & MAY be playable at PAX. Not sure tho.”

“Next official update – I think – is ComicCon in a few weeks. As soon as our panel is locked, I’ll let ya’ll know details,” he added.

Twisted Metal to have split-screen online

David Jaffe has revealed that Eat, Sleep, Play’s forthcoming Twisted Metal outing for PlayStation 3 will support split-screen online.

Speaking during his panel at the San Diego Comic-Con this week, Jaffe also confirmed that the car combat title wouldn’t feature 3D or PlayStation Move functionality, much to the delight of those in attendance.

Elsewhere, he said that the company is “interested” in the prospect of downloadable content for the game, though wouldn’t go in to any specific details on the matter. Jaffe also displayed various concepts for the title at the event, such as Twisted Metal: Apocalypse.

Twisted Metal is due out exclusively on PS3 in 2011.

Most gamers hate online Trophies, says David Jaffe

Eat Sleep Play’s David Jaffe has been putting his thinking cap on in regards to implementing Trophies in Twisted Metal, and as such has posted his thoughts on Twitter for all to see.

According to one of his Tweets, Jaffe seems fairly convinced that the majority of gamers dislike online Trophies: "Dunno on trophies yet but more and more it sounds like most plyrs hate online troph," adding, "So my gut says we will lean very heavily towards SP trophies. Perhaps 90/10 split? What say you? :)"

One fan suggested that online Trophies merely distract users from the overall team objective, prompting Jaffe to respond with the following:

"Sure but if the goal of the trophy=goal of the mode, it works, yes? Ex: be on a winning NUKE team 10 times."

"We would not make u win a ranked match 10 times IN A ROW, but we prob wud say win a match 10 times to get a trophy."

David Jaffe responds to angry Xbox 360 owners

Eat Sleep Play’s David Jaffe has got himself in to a bit of a scuffle with fellow Xbox 360 fans on gaming blog Destructoid this week, after previously making it clear that his loyalties remain very much aligned with camp Sony.

"The only thing we'd love more than getting [Twisted Metal] out there to as many players as possible -- via putting it on new systems -- is to continue helping Sony differentiate their box from other boxes," said Jaffe.

However, Xbox 360 owners quickly flocked to the comments section and poured scorn over the Twisted Metal creator for his views, prompting Jaffe to take up arms (or at least the Internet equivalent, i.e. hopping on Twitter) and defend his comments.

Unsurprisingly, Jaffe didn’t mince his words, offering: "Holy f**k, Destructoid Xbox only owners out in full force against me. WTF? I can't have an opinion? It's not that we would not LOVE to have our games in every home in the world...even the ones w/out electricity. F**k it- we don't care! It's just that we value our relationship with Sony very, very much. They give us extra time to make the game great, lots of creative and marketing and business support. And we like the people over there tons; they are like family. Why is it so hard to understand we'd like 2 stay in that kind of working relationship?"

Jaffe is currently busy chiselling away on a brand-new Twisted Metal game for PS3, which is due to hit shops next year.

Screw the xbox only owners and their bitching. Every console has great games the other doesn't get, live with it. I can't wait for Twisted Metal, it definately used to be one of my favorites.

Twisted Metal Extended Trailer Reveal, Pre-order for Axel

Last week David Jaffe broke the news that Twisted Metal will be hitting stores on October 4th of this year. We also debuted a peek at the game’s awesome cast with the new trailer, Broken, through GTTV. Today we’re back with an EXTENDED cut that delivers an even deeper look at the new Twisted universe!

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/fdedf0ed" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/fdedf0ed" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

Here’s another piece of exciting news, Axel is back, and you’ll get early access to unlock this death-dealing war machine by pre-ordering Twisted Metal at any participating retailer!

5618517102_3623c3cf3b_z.jpg

We’re on a roll now with Twisted Metal news, so be sure to check back for more info as we approach launch on October 4th, 2011

Twisted Metal PS3 dated

A fresh Twisted Metal trailer has confirmed that the eagerly-anticipated vehicular combat outing will be released on October 4.

Check out the trailer below – the date is mentioned at the video’s climax, though fails to specify if it pertains to a North American or a global launch. More than likely it's the former, though we'll hopefully receive clarification on this soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Jaffe Speaks: Twisted Metal launches October 4th

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/1d82bb45" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/1d82bb45" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

Hey ya’ll! David Jaffe here – I’m the co-director and co-lead designer of the new Twisted Metal for PS3!

I know we’ve been kind of quiet about the game since our super secret E3 press conference surprise, but all that ends now! GTTV just launched our latest trailer on last night’s episode on SpikeTV. Did you see it?!? If not, click here. The trailer – called BROKEN – has brand-new gameplay footage as well as a first look at some shots from our live action, in game-cinematics!

I gotta be honest with ya’ll: I had NO IDEA how the live action stuff was gonna turn out, but MAN am I super amped! I think it’s pretty sweet! Take a look, let us know if you agree. And the fresh Twisted Metal news doesn’t stop there!

In a few days we’re meeting with press from all over the world to unveil two brand new levels of the game. At that very same press event, we’re letting folks go hands on – for the first time! – with Twisted Metal‘s super-unique NUKE mode. We’ve made some core design changes since we last talked about NUKE (at E3) and we’re very eager/anxious/excited to see what people think.

But wait – there’s more! Next week we’ll also be unveiling BATTLEWAGON! What/who the hell is Battlewagon? Just the coolest, baddest-ass vehicle ever to dominate the car combat landscape! This is a vehicle that myself, Scott Campbell (the game’s other co-lead designer/game director) and Kellan Hatch (Eat Sleep Play’s Creative Director) have been wanting to put in a Twisted Metal game since we made the very first one back in 1995. I think it’s gonna give Sweet Tooth’s ice cream truck a damn fine run for its money!

“Holy cow, Jaffe,” you say, “that’s amazing!” Yes…yes it is! But wait…there’s EVEN MORE! Wha?!?! Really?!?! HAI!!!!! Because ya see: a few days after our press event, we’ll drop the EXTENDED cut of last night’s TWISTED METAL launch trailer! This new trailer dives a bit deeper into the character stories of Sweet Tooth, Dollface, and Mr. Grimm. The new cut also gives a bit more info on just what that creepy tower at the end of last night’s trailer is all about. And we may even get our first glimpse of Calypso, the sinister mastermind behind all the pain, suffering, and chaos of the Twisted Metal contest. And that is JUST in the next week!

From now until our launch date – OCTOBER 4th, 2011 – we’ll be showing more and more of our hand in hopes that ya’ll are going to be just as jazzed and excited for this new Twisted Metal as we are! We can’t wait to hear what you all think! Thanks for reading and giving our game your time! David ps. oh yeah, watch the video. You’ll get an update on that Sweet Tooth action figure give away from last Christmas.

Didn’t even mention one of the coolest parts! We’ve just announced our launch date: October 4th, 2011! See…I TOLD ya’ll we were hitting this year!

Twisted Metal Multiplayer Hands On: Jaffe’s Last Laugh

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/817d0791" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/817d0791" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

After Twisted Metal made its bombastic debut nearly a year ago at the E3 PlayStation press conference, developer Eat Sleep Play promptly descended into a self-imposed near-silence. Now that Twisted Metal has finally emerged from its shadowy confines — headlights gleaming like accusing eyes, an angry puff of steam boiling from its cracked radiator grille — it’s clear that David Jaffe, Scott Campbell and the boys have been busy. Really busy. Even in its early pre-release state, the PS3 rebirth of PlayStation’s longest-running series plays true to form — it’s fast, ferocious, and fun. Underneath the glistening new HD graphics, blistering frame rate and overhauled combat system lies the vehicular equivalent of Mortal Kombat…that is, if Mortal Kombat included 16-player online battles waged with helicopters and nukes and psychotic clowns driving semi trucks and God knows what else.

5641294309_2148168824_z.jpg

Twisted Metal Creative Director David Jaffe is fond of comparing the game’s combat feel to that of fighter jets. The comparison is apt because the vehicle handling and physics are so deliciously exaggerated. This ain’t no GT5; in Twisted Metal, cars turn on a dime and blast from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. They swoop in for the kill, jousting their quarry with rockets and napalm blasts before the element of surprise is lost and the hunter becomes the hunted. In the midst of a lively multiplayer match, Twisted Metal feels like barely controlled chaos, a symphony of destruction swirling with danger and buzzing with death.

5641862728_d094a24c7c_z.jpg

As you might expect, the arsenal has received a hefty upgrade for the game’s PS3 debut. The devastating new Swarmer Missile and Shotgun join returning weapons such as the Homing Missile, Napalm, and Ice Blast. Each vehicle’s special attack also comes with an alternate fire mode that can inflict even more damage if timed correctly, lending the combat an additional layer of depth. For example, Axel can either emit a wide-range shockwave or transform into a grinding, spiked gear to roll over the opposition — what Jaffe described as a “violent Oreo cookie.” Another nod to modernity: You can now freely aim your projectiles with the right analog stick to hit enemies above and below you. Jaffe even dished on a new Sixaxis-centric combat mechanic he’s currently calling the Turbo Ram. “If you have enough turbo, you can shake the controller forward and drill the crap out of an enemy in front of you,” he told me. “It feels almost like an uppercut in a fighting game.” Though the version I played stuck with a classic-style driving control scheme, with gas on the Square button and brake on the X button, Jaffe promised that the final version of the game would include a more modern scheme with gas and brake assigned to the L2 and R2 triggers.

5334076308_4e948e0ffc_z.jpg

Team coordination is also shaping up to be a major focus for Twisted Metal’s frantic multiplayer gameplay. Talon Helicopters can use their winch to pick up teammates for a better firing angle; Junkyard Dog tow trucks can drop repair kits to heal their teammates; and the mighty Juggernaut semi truck can open its rear door to allow teammates to drive inside, where the drivers can man high-powered turrets and dominate the battlefield. But Jaffe promised that the new tag-team maneuvers are strictly optional, and that crafty players can exploit weaknesses in seemingly unstoppable vehicles. For example, the devastating Juggernaut semi truck can be outmaneuvered and flanked by nimble Reaper motorcycles, riddled with sticky bombs, and blown to pieces.

5333460137_d8f55e4f68_z.jpg

During our talk, Jaffe kept our conversation firmly squared on Twisted Metal’s online multiplayer offering. But he did provide a rare peak into the game’s secretive single-player campaign, which will grant you one life but enable you to store up to two or three cars in a garage on each level. If you face impending death during the single-player Twisted Metal tournament, you can venture back to your garage and pick a new vehicle…if you can survive the journey.

With its hyperkinetic visual style and blistering land-and-air multiplayer combat, Twisted Metal is shaping up to be a wet, sloppy kiss to fans of the classic games as well as a daring remix of online multiplayer conventions. And with a shiny new release date of October 4th, 2011, Jaffe’s twisted vision is one step closer to becoming reality. Read on for highlights of my full conversation with Jaffe, and leave your burning gameplay questions in the comments.

5641504425_dc3420689c_z.jpg

On the Name

“Twisted Metal is the final name. The series has been out of the spotlight long enough that naming it ‘Twisted Metal 8’ or whatever would be problematic. You’d have people saying, ‘well, I didn’t play the first seven…’ Calling it Twisted Metal is like planting a flag in the ground and saying that our heartbeat is still strong. The essence of Twisted Metal is still here. To call it anything other than Twisted Metal would feel wrong.”

On Realistic Driving Physics and the Lack Thereof

“Every time we start a new Twisted Metal game, Scott [Campbell] and I talk about doing realistic cars, and it’s a disaster. We’ve never thought of this as a driving game. They happen to look like cars but they’re fighter jets.”

On Creating a Twisted Fantasy

“First and foremost, we imagine the fantasy. A great game designer will tell you that’s stupid, that you should start with your fundamental gameplay mechanics, and he’d be right. That’s just not how we do it. For us, the fantasy has always been to be in a car chase going down the freeway, with semi-trucks flipping and crashing, while I’m in a helicopter holding a sniper rifle shooting a bazooka down, and cars are racing through the explosion. That’s what we start with, and every generation of hardware gets us closer and closer to that vision.”

On Balancing Helicopters

“Helicopters were about delivering the fantasy first, and then figuring out how to tune it. The helicopter has a lot of access to a level, it’s fast, but it doesn’t have great armor. We balance it with risk and reward..other cars can use the right analog stick to look up and shoot whatever they want. If I’m on the ground and you fly over me, I can launch a Power Missile up at you and take you out in one or two hits because your armor is so weak.”

On the Companion Gunner

“The companion is fantasy. You are the car, just like in every Twisted Metal. You see your driver more, and you see your gunner a lot more. Some [of the gunners] actually tie into the single-player story. We still have weapons that come out of panels and things like that, but we thought it was fun and cinematic for a guy to lean out the window of a sportscar and fire a shotgun. It just feels more relevant and cool and movie-like. The gunner isn’t really a different mechanic, it’s presentation.”

On the Number One Goal for Twisted Metal

“I don’t have a number one goal. I have two goals. On the fiction side, I want people to fall in love with this dark, twisted, weird world as much as we do. On the gameplay side, Twisted Metal is a fighting game combined with a shooter. I want gamers to discover what hardcore Twisted Metal fans have known for a long time — that Twisted Metal is a great pick-up-and-play game, but it has a lot of layers and depth. To us, it’s in the same league as classic multiplayer games that build a community for years and years.”

Twisted Metal at E3 2011: Iron Maiden, NYC Chaos and More

Hey ya’ll- David Jaffe here, co-director/co-lead designer of the PS3 exclusive, Twisted Metal! Totally jazzed about the new gameplay we’ll be showing at this week’s E3! We’re giving the press their first ever detailed look at Iron Maiden, the biggest and most complicated boss we’ve ever had in a Twisted Metal game! She’s from the game’s campaign mode (single player and local/online co-op supported) and she’s a total blast to battle!

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/817d0791" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/817d0791" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

We’re also giving show goers some hands on with Twisted Metal‘s signature Nuke mode, our Twisted take on Capture The Flag. E3′s Nuke demo takes place in a brand new level: NEW YORK CITY DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON! The level is classic Twisted Metal, allowing players to bring destruction and chaos to a relatable location! This isn’t a fight on a space station or in some foreign war. This is hell in your own backyard! Destroy skyscrapers! Bring down The Statue of Liberty, then play soccer with her head! Battle inside toy stores! Race under the streets of the city, fighting and chasing on underground subway tracks as you try to avoid being smashed by the deadly trains! Plow into the history museum and smash giant dinosaur bones, dropping the massive statues down onto your enemies! Hell, you can even run smack dab into a dude dressed as Santa Clause and send him ho-ho-hoing over the hood of your car!

5803568184_6620daf18a_b.jpg

This second video is our new Twisted Metal trailer, REVENGE. REVENGE goes into a bit of Sweet Tooth’s back story and gives some details about Sweet’s Ice Cream Truck attacks! If you’ve not seen it yet, please give it a watch.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/3005072d" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/3005072d" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

5803010915_356745910f_b.jpg

Ok, that’s it for now. By the time you read this Scott Campbell (co-director/co-lead designer) and I will be knee deep in E3 press mode, talking up our baby to every and anyone who will stop to listen! We’re super proud of the team and the game and we’re doing all we can to get the word out!

Oh, and if you see myself or Scot at E3, stop by and say hey! We’re looking forward to seeing you at the show!

David

ps. Before you ask- and a lot of folks already have! :) – Twisted Metal has not become a mech game. It’s still 95% a vehicle/car combat game. Remember, you don’t have to fight IRON MAIDEN using Sweet Tooth. That’s just what we’re showing in the video. There are lots of other vehicles you can bring into battle. But just like past Twisted Metal games, every vehicle has pros and cons and the vehicle you take onto the battlefield will require unique strategies to emerge victorious!)

I seen it on ps3fanboy last week I think...it was towards the end, he drives off a cliff and transforms and then some other car he was fighting transformed too and I quit after I seen that lol

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I seen it on ps3fanboy last week I think...it was towards the end, he drives off a cliff and transforms and then some other car he was fighting transformed too and I quit after I seen that lol

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

oh. haha. I haven't seen that one. But i'd certainly recommend waiting until the game is out and you get a chance to see it in action and play it before you write it off.