digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Thanks Jung @ TBS-

UltraViolet streaming cloud-based Blu-ray and DVD video is coming
By Sebastian Anthony on July 15, 2011 at 10:23 am9 Comments

Share This article
A vice president of 20th Century Fox, speaking to Pocket-lint, has confirmed that UltraViolet, the cloud-based Blu ray-and-DVD video streaming service, will launch “very soon.” The same Fox executive also says that every major movie studio has signed onto the program, except Disney, and that the only big consumer electronics holdout — Apple — will soon toe the purple line.

But what is UltraViolet exactly? You’d be forgiven for having never heard of it — but once I tell you what it is, you’re either going to dribble with anticipation, or curse like a hippie libertarian who’s just had a bunch of human rights sucked out from underneath him. Basically, UltraViolet is a cloud-based library of your digital possessions. When you buy your first UltraViolet Blu-ray disc and slot it into your Blu-ray player at home, it will connect to the internet and ask you to make an account. This Blu-ray disc will then be forever connected to your UltraViolet account.

Now, there are a slew of seriously useful benefits associated with such a system. If you lose the original disc, don’t worry: just log into UltraViolet and download a copy — or simply stream it from the web. You can also pair multiple devices with your UV account — register the Blu-ray disc at home, and then stream it to your office computer, or your smartphone. This will also be the first ever fully-legal way to download TV shows and movies, too: log into the UV online store, purchase a license, and start watching right away. You’ll even be able to download your online purchase and burn it to DVD or Blu-ray — but of course, for many people, UltraViolet will be a way of finally getting rid of discs and their unsightly plastic cases.

Yes, UltraViolet is awesome — but now take a long, hard look at the caveats. For a start, UltraViolet isn’t just a cloud-based digital library — it’s DRM. To play UV Blu-ray and DVD discs, you need to access your digital library to download your license key — and if you’re not connected to the internet, the TV show or movie simply won’t start. Next, think about this for a second: your entire library of movies and TV shows will be stored in the cloud. There isn’t a single mention on the UltraViolet website that your library will be private — and with almost every major studio, broadcaster, ISP, and tech company on board, you can be guaranteed that they’ll be very interested in the contents of your digital library.

Because UltraViolet media cannot be played without internet access, Big Brother will see exactly what you watch and when you watch it. The powers that be will know exactly what kind of advertisements to show you, both on TV and on the web — and they’ll even be able to turn to companies like Coca-Cola or Verizon and tell them exactly which shows and movies they should buy product placement in.

The truly terrifying thing, though, is that there’s no guarantee that UltraViolet will be around for ever — and like Assassin’s Creed 2 and its infamous, web-based DRM system, what happens if your internet connection goes down when you want to watch a movie? Worse yet, what if UltraViolet is the target of a DDoS attack?

Finally, there will almost certainly be an atrocious Terms of Service that includes a variety of cunning ways for the UV consortium to ban you from their service. Imagine this: the cloud-based UV service will log your IP address when you request an UltraViolet movie or TV show. Now, if you go and torrent a movie, and the UV consortium finds your IP address in the torrent swarm, how much do you want to bet that they’ll disable your UltraViolet account?

UV is a nice little model for how the world is working right now... trade a lot of privacy for a little convenience.

I'm about as far from a 'hippie' as you can get, I'd rather kick a tree then hug it (just kidding, I have nothing against trees).... but I'm tired of every company out there trying to find cheap little tricks to force their way into my life. In a perfect world of rainbows and lollipops, this service would be great... But it's not that type of world, and we keep going down this path that makes it easier and easier for us to be tracked and followed by these companies.

That, and the A/V quality will obviously not be as good as BD. That lone makes it much less then interesting for me.

Last edited:
JP-your sentiment is definitely echoed by many...and when the average person finds themselves at the retailer asking why their disc doesn't play, we start all over...

This is an interesting concept, but again when people and retailers begin to complain about it the model will soon die.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

This will last about as long as it takes someone to hack this and a geeky tech (sincere apologies to any geeky techs here, my son is one so I know you're a nice bunch of people) to come up with "the next best thing" and whadya know all those UV purchases were worthless.

Ultraviolet vs "Regular" Digital Copies in Steelbooks

Well, it looks like the Green Lantern Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook was the first steelie to get an Ultraviolet Digital Copy. Is anyone else annoyed with Ultraviolet? In order to play one, you've got to sign up with both Ultraviolet AND Flixter. It won't play on an Apple TV, since you're not actually downloading anything. You can't watch it at all if you're not somewhere where you can get a wifi or cell signal (if you're connecting to the internet through the cellular network) I don't like em!

I never use digital copies, but from all I've heard, all Ultraviolet does is harvest user info for the studio, encourage 'digital locker' use (moving away from physical media), and has been, overall, a pain in the a@@ for users. Pass....

Ok, I didnt realize this thread was about steelbooks. For those who like Digital Copies you may hate me saying this ... but I'm more in favor of UV for SteelBooks. Why? Less chance of jumbo's or G1 in the future. Regular blu-rays, sure I like the discs.

Ok, I didnt realize this thread was about steelbooks. For those who like Digital Copies you may hate me saying this ... but I'm more in favor of UV for SteelBooks. Why? Less chance of jumbo's or G1 in the future. Regular blu-rays, sure I like the discs.

I can definitely see where you're coming from when you say "less chance of jumbos and G1s", but they don't need to put a DC on a separate disc. They can easily fit it on the DVD if it's a combo pack, or better yet, they can just put a slip of paper in there with a code on it, and you punch that code into iTunes, and it downloads directly from iTunes, not the disc. That would eliminate the need for a non-blu disc altogether.

Reactions: Wreck
I can definitely see where you're coming from when you say "less chance of jumbos and G1s", but they don't need to put a DC on a separate disc. They can easily fit it on the DVD if it's a combo pack, or better yet, they can just put a slip of paper in there with a code on it, and you punch that code into iTunes, and it downloads directly from iTunes, not the disc. That would eliminate the need for a non-blu disc altogether.

You are absolutely right. They just always do it absolutely wrong. Heh.

I'm not a huge fan out UV copies, but I just discovered I can stream them straight to my blu ray player.

How are streaming straight to your blu-ray player? Mine are Sony branded and have a flixster app, but no apparent way to use that app to get the stored content...

Feeling about Ultraviolet

Hey kids,
I was wondering people's feelings on the new way your digital copies are being delivered?

I'm not a fan of the service because I don't really like how you don't side load through iTunes. It has to be done over your wifi or streaming. I like to be able to completely manage my files. I don't mind the Internet downloads that universal does now because it saves an extra, pointless disc to ship inside. Cuts down on costs too. Sorry for the rant. :movie: