Votes: 11 47.8%
  • don't think so

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Only if released in jumbo steelbooks

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Mar 27, 2013
picture.php

I’ve been a film collector ever since I discovered the first wave of the Walt Disney Treasures (US) series more than ten years ago. I’ve been into films longer than that, but I hadn’t really considered that not only books could look good on a shelf.

Today I got all but two of the Walt Disney Treasures releases for the US. I think both the content and design of these releases are really good. The ‘alpha’ amaray cases (if that’s what they’re called) look good on the shelf. However, I’ve kept the tins in a cardboard box for years as I can’t find a way to display them on my shelf (there’s nothing written on the spines).

So I’ve been thinking. What if Disney decided to release all this content on Blu-Ray? How should the packaging be? What if, instead of either releasing the content in some cheap cardboard cases or something, or doing the whole tin box thing all over again, what if Disney would consider doing these as steelbooks?

As you can see from the images below, Disney decided to release the two seasons of Zorro in regular amarays, which makes them look more ordinary (i.e. less exclusive looking). Personally I’d love to see them go for the Jumbo/alpha/double steelbook cases, and do some embossing/debossing on the front. I think the design for these is pretty much as good as it can be, but these would look so much better as steelbook instead of plastic. Am I the only one here who’d want this?

I know it’s a long shot, but the Disney Treasures line would probably never have happened (or rather, never have gotten past the first waves of releases) without the support of the fans. (My point is: Anything can happen). I think one of the problems is that the content was spread over too many releases. Instead of four volumes of Donald Duck shorts, they could do two volumes. Same with the Mickey in black & white and colour – instead of two releases each they could do one release for the black & white shorts, and one for the colour ones.

Personally, I would only collect these if the packaging is right. I think the UK releases looked pretty bad in regular amaray cases with rating symbols on the cover etc. I think a region free blu-ray release could potentially sell better than the original Treasures. And those cardboard bands would look great around the steelbooks imo. Not that it really matters what I think.

I’m not really much for doing steelbook mockups… so, feel free, anyone

IMAGES (sorry for the poor quality)

Imagine these beautiful tins as steelbooks

picture.php

The keepcases look great on the shelf.

picture.php

Three of the keepcases (with booklets).

picture.php

A closer look at one of the tins with cardboard band

picture.php

A few of the waves were released without the cardboard band.
picture.php

My beautiful tins collecting dust

picture.php

Last edited:
Reactions: Snollygoster
It could be an issue on my end, but none of your pictures inside the spoiler tags are showing up? I click show and it gives me nothing.

Anyways, I would absolutely LOVE this, and would without a doubt collect each release. I'd be most interested in the animated ones though. I also love the idea of consolidating the content. I think ideally it would be a single release for each series:

Mickey Mouse (combining MM B&W 1&2 and MM Living Color 1&2)
Silly Symphonies (combining Silly Symphonies and More Silly Symphonies)
Donald Duck (combining all four Chronological Donald)
Goofy (same as existing Complete Goofy)
Pluto (combining Complete Pluto 1&2)
Rarities (combining Oswald, the current "Rarities" and the "On the Front Lines" sets)

Reactions: Steeler
It could be an issue on my end, but none of your pictures inside the spoiler tags are showing up? I click show and it gives me nothing.

Anyways, I would absolutely LOVE this, and would without a doubt collect each release. I'd be most interested in the animated ones though. I also love the idea of consolidating the content. I think ideally it would be a single release for each series:

Mickey Mouse (combining MM B&W 1&2 and MM Living Color 1&2)
Silly Symphonies (combining Silly Symphonies and More Silly Symphonies)
Donald Duck (combining all four Chronological Donald)
Goofy (same as existing Complete Goofy)
Pluto (combining Complete Pluto 1&2)
Rarities (combining Oswald, the current "Rarities" and the "On the Front Lines" sets)

Do the image display now? I made my image gallery private, because I thought it wouldn't be particularly relevant outside of this thread. I thought the image links would still work. I've switched back to 'public'.

Somehow I like the idea of having a couple of DD volumes and a couple of MM ones just to spread the content a little, but I agree that there should be as few volumes as possible. I guess 'On the Front Lines' and 'Rarities' could easily be combined, but I just like the idea of that golden 'Oswald' box. However, it was released not long after Disney got the rights back, so maybe today a different set would deserve the 'gold treatment'

I guess the problem is Goofy. There's barely enough content to justify a separate release, but I still think these characters should each have one set each. And Zorro could easily be a single volume release.

My tins have started to rust, and I've kept them hidden away for years. Another reason to get a steelbook/digibook series for these.