What is the NEXT "Big Thing" in Home Theater?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Besides anything already on the market-what do yo think is the next big stepping stone in video displays?

Chime in!
DB

I guess just OLED, another good thread would be whats the next big purchase in your home theater or something of the sort, though I think we may have one similar.

I think the next bit thing would be 3D TVs that dont need those horrible ugly glasses, if nintendo can make a small 3DS then I'm sure it can be done on bigger screens lol! Oh and hasn't Sony already developed a next disc format that can hold 10 times more than a blu ray? My boyfriend told me this but said they weren't gonna release it yet cos blu ray hasn't fully taken over from DVDs, until that happens then they'll look in this new format, or he could just be bullshitting me lol

HDBaseT Technology

The newly finalized cable technology, known as HDBaseT, transfers audio and video signals over ordinary RJ-45 ethernet cables.

The venerable HDMI cable was first produced back in 2003, and the rise of Blu-ray and the growing popularity of HDTV fueled its adoption.
While HDMI has several advantages to other sorts of A/V cables, it isn't without its problems. The technology often suffers from switching delays and is known for its limitations when it comes to cable length, problems that HDBaseT could solve.

HDBaseT will be able to deliver full-HD video, audio, Web connectivity, and power over one cable simultaneously. Whereas a HDMI cable can be no more than a few meters in length, HDBaseT supports cables up to 100 meters long. The new cable spec can also carry 100 watts of power via the cable.

The back of any TV is usually an unsightly mess of cables. If this specification proves popular, it'll mean fewer cables. A single cable would not only power your television, but it could also send in all your data--sound, visuals, and more. Replacing multiple cables with just one is a welcome change.

You can read more on the technolgy here.

Just fuel for thought. :)

Fewer cables would be great but don't think there will be a big step in the next few year. I'm sure the will be 4K TVs soon but I don't care that much. Guess you won't spot the difference unless you have a 100" tv :)

Guess the next big thing would be a hologramm tv or something like that *bg*