what makes a must have steelbook

ObiWan

Jedi Master
Premium Supporter
Mar 7, 2014
Stoke-On-Trent, UK
Apologies if this topic has been asked many times before.
Why are some steelbooks a must have buy and others a miss.

I.E Frozen steelbook is crazy must have and hefty prices.
and then you have
The World''s End Blu Ray Steelbook demanding high prices and im at a loss why:confused::confused:

Zavvi have some pre orders not sold out like day the earth stood still which is not sold out
and the Stargate sold out in hours of going live,

as a steelbook collector new to the game
what does one look for to see a potential must have bu as tit will be a must have steelbook.

thanks
Obi

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's important for you to get what YOU really like. There are fantastic releases all over the place, but some do come with a certain limited label that makes them fetch such prices on the after market. Browse the forums and you'll see why some are considered high value over others.

Reactions: ObiWan
I don't think there is a way of knowing in advance what will be a must have, if you read the threads for steelbooks before they are released, you will get a good idea of what might become a must have. Usually, limited numbers are an indication such as Kimchi steels which have very low quantities and Blufans because they are hard to get, although, when their website opens they will hopefully be easier to get.
At the end of the day, you would be best to get the movies you like rather than buying a lot of steels in the hope they will increase in value, if your buying for investment, remember a steelbook is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it
Enjoy collecting steelbooks and remember it's meant to be fun but it can get very expensive

Reactions: ObiWan
The Worlds End will be because only the uk released it on steelbook so theres not loads of versions to chose from, anyone abroad that wants it on steel has to get the uk version, kind of makes it more limited. also its gloss which helps.

For me, I go with films I like or steelbooks that look a bit special. I do my best not to get caught up in the hype of things if, deep down, i'm really not that fussed about them.

If you're looking for steels to sell further along the line, look for the more limited/exclusive ones. If you're collecting for you own sake, then just go for things that you like.