What's your most memorable SteelBook from your collection?

May 15, 2013
UK
With so many SteelBooks being released these days, it's easy to forget about many of them. It almost feels as if some are "flavour of the week" and then promptly forgotten about, whereas others are fan-favourites and are always remembered due to their outstanding presentation or print quality. Others may also be remembered for the complete opposite reasons.

In the last nine years, I've amassed almost 500 SteelBooks in various forms. Some I can recall every single detail about them, such as where I bought it, how much it cost, how many discs it has, whether it's embossed / debossed, as well as many other distinguishing features that make them stand out. Others I remember because I may have had particular difficulty in obtaining them, or perhaps because there was something negative about the design I didn't like

A few examples of those that stand out are The Passion Of Joan Of Arc (notable for coming with a slipcover and booklet), Iron Man 1 & Iron Man 2 (notable for having their inside artwork switched), Source Code and The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adele Blanc-Sec (notable for being "StickerBooks"), and also the two UK National Treasure Dvd SteelBooks (notable for having the "crackle lacquer effect" finish)

While many SteelBooks seem to fade into obscurity, I do have my favourites... For example, the recent UK Disney releases - Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Finding Nemo, and Aladdin - All of which have amazing artwork, as well as a quality finish.

I'm also particularly fond of some of the older Dvd SteelBooks, such as Silent Hill, Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer, Eragon, Beowulf, Scum, and Total Recall, which are some of the nicer looking Dvd SteelBooks I can think of

The weirdest SteelBook I own has got to be Easy Car Maintenance, which I found quite by accident while browsing Amazon.co.uk. It's a do-it-yourself self-help guide to fixing basic car problems and general information on how to keep your car running smoothly. Not exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to have been given the SteelBook treatment!

I'm interested to know what other people consider to be stand out SteelBook titles from their collections, and why. Everybody's favourite SteelBook has a story behind it!

Reactions: SBC28
One of mine is the Best Buy exclusive SB for The Hurt Locker. I wasn't collecting SBs at the time it released, nor did i have the intention or a remote consideration to start collecting. I didn't think much of it at the time, so it was opened, watched and put on my shelf.

Now, years later, i am aware of it's story and controversy, (G1, anyone?) and it's relative rarity. I love the film, so there had never been a consideration to sell it, and i'm very happy about that. It currently graces my modest SB collection, sitting comfortably among Act of Valor, Black Hawk Down and Zero Dark Thirty. It's little brother UK SB showed up a few days ago, too.

h9ve.jpg

Reactions: Heche1981