apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Does this interest you? Would you get a steelbook or rare slip cover graded?

The more the merrier! CGC Home Video™ is thrilled to announce the expansion of its expert authentication, grading and encapsulation services to include DVDs, Blu-rays and other digital home videos.

“Collectors have been eagerly waiting for CGC Home Video to begin accepting DVDs and Blu-rays for certification,” said Paul Zamarelli, CGC Home Video Senior Finalizer. “We’re very excited to begin offering these services, and we can’t wait to see what collectors submit to us!”

CGC Home Video is all set to start grading your CD-video discs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs! Here’s what will be graded at launch:

CD-Video/CD-i/VCD/DIVX:​

Single Jewel Cases
Single Jewel Cases with Slipcover
Double Jewel Cases

DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray/4K:​

Slipcases (single)
Most Clamshells
Drawer Boxes
Book Boxes
Box only
Standard Keepcases
Standard Keepcases with Slipcovers
Steelbooks
Steelbooks with Slipcovers
DVD Snapper Cases
Jewel Cases

Source:

• Haha
Reactions: leelee17 and laz305
So they' be closed as 'sealed then unsealed then sealed again' condition? :naughty: :naughty:
Damn you, predictive text..
'Classed as', not 'closed as'....
Not quite sure how the process would go, just that the end product is a plastic hard shell with the product sealed inside and a grading sticker or stamp on the top. You can read up on it here.
Assumed the resealing process would be a standard re-wrap job, not a solid shell...
'

Damn you, predictive text..
'Classed as', not 'closed as'....

Assumed the resealing process would be a standard re-wrap job, not a solid shell...
'
All my CGC graded comics came as a solid sealed shell so as to not let air in because after time the air can discolor the pages, not sure how it would affect steelbooks though.

I leave this here :

a4e7e861-2ee7-4966-bc5b-dc95837c9cf4_text.gif

Not quite sure how the process would go, just that the end product is a plastic hard shell with the product sealed inside and a grading sticker or stamp on the top. You can read up on it here.
They only seem to be referring to videotapes on that page, but if they're using xray machines for those, I've got to assume they'd do the same for disk based media, incl steelbooks.

They only seem to be referring to videotapes on that page, but if they're using xray machines for those, I've got to assume they'd do the same for disk based media, incl steelbooks.
CGC Home Video is all set to start grading your CD-video discs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs! Here’s what will be graded at launch:

CD-Video/CD-i/VCD/DIVX:
Single Jewel Cases
Single Jewel Cases with Slipcover
Double Jewel Cases

DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray/4K:
Slipcases (single)
Most Clamshells
Drawer Boxes
Book Boxes
Box only
Standard Keepcases
Standard Keepcases with Slipcovers
Steelbooks
Steelbooks with Slipcovers
DVD Snapper Cases
Jewel Cases

Reactions: Steely-Booked
Grading is a scam, and when you inspect it as closely as they would, there are no perfect SteelBooks
thats really all there is to say

i dont think any person whos actually into steelbooks and movies wants to hide their edition in a lousy hard case with some subjective rating that adds imaginary value... its just to rip off gullible iNvEsToRs with too much money, that hope to find someone more gullible with even more money

I'd never do that.

a) european market
b) extreme ocd that was just recently calmed down with slipcovers for steels
c) perfectly fine with just those couple of rare Spidey comics graded

I’m all for grading.

It makes perfect sense for a protective purpose. I can drop a steel and it damages, I can drop one in the pet plastic slipboxes that are sold to help prevent scratches… and it damages.

I can drop one in a cgc case and it won’t damage. The case might but not the SteelBook.

I own a vhs in one their cases and their biggest competitor is PSA who owns Wata Games who grades video game steels and video games so it’s been going on just not from the modern video perspective. VHS started a couple years ago with smaller indie grading labels.

The only true distinction that needs to happen with steels which no one understands yet in grading (and I haven’t viewed their scale but I bet it doesn’t cover this)

A sealed steel in perfect condition should never have a chance to be like Pristine 10 or what have you. Should be max 9.8 which with comics getting a 9.8 is like best.

An open SteelBook should be only thing to have chance at a pristine 10 as it can be completely inspected.

Reactions: IRON MAN
I’m all for grading.

It makes perfect sense for a protective purpose. I can drop a steel and it damages, I can drop one in the pet plastic slipboxes that are sold to help prevent scratches… and it damages.

I can drop one in a cgc case and it won’t damage. The case might but not the SteelBook.

I own a vhs in one their cases and their biggest competitor is PSA who owns Wata Games who grades video game steels and video games so it’s been going on just not from the modern video perspective. VHS started a couple years ago with smaller indie grading labels.

The only true distinction that needs to happen with steels which no one understands yet in grading (and I haven’t viewed their scale but I bet it doesn’t cover this)

A sealed steel in perfect condition should never have a chance to be like Pristine 10 or what have you. Should be max 9.8 which with comics getting a 9.8 is like best.

An open SteelBook should be only thing to have chance at a pristine 10 as it can be completely inspected.
you can order sturdy acrylic cases in many places, which protect them equally well if not better.. and are far cheaper..

and since you mentioned wata, i recommend watching this video about their business practices:

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy
you can order sturdy acrylic cases in many places, which protect them equally well if not better.. and are far cheaper..

and since you mentioned wata, i recommend watching this video about their business practices:

I hate every person with a passion which sells their 5 cents trash game in mentos condition for 100 bucks with the headline "WATA ready"

Reactions: hatredhorror
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If we start grading them then you the owner are no longer the beholder. The owner of it grades it by setting a price. I tell people all the time when asked “why is your price so high” I say because you will not find it anywhere else in mint condition. I sold 3x Snowpiercer for $100 just for the fact they were in mint condition. No CGC needed. Go find some other business to corrupt. It’s bad enough we have to deal with scalpers.

It's just this whole Collector's segment is becoming more niche, and more expensive, and leeches feel there's some money can be had, always someone wanting a piece of the pie.

I’m not going to start rebuying things just because it’s graded. The element of sealed vs open will prove to be interesting because I don’t know how you can grade something you can’t see. Does this mean I should start opening my collection so I can send them out for grading? :blackeye::rofl:

Reactions: leelee17