apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Does this interest you? Would you get a steelbook or rare slip cover graded?

The more the merrier! CGC Home Video™ is thrilled to announce the expansion of its expert authentication, grading and encapsulation services to include DVDs, Blu-rays and other digital home videos.

“Collectors have been eagerly waiting for CGC Home Video to begin accepting DVDs and Blu-rays for certification,” said Paul Zamarelli, CGC Home Video Senior Finalizer. “We’re very excited to begin offering these services, and we can’t wait to see what collectors submit to us!”

CGC Home Video is all set to start grading your CD-video discs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs! Here’s what will be graded at launch:

CD-Video/CD-i/VCD/DIVX:​

Single Jewel Cases
Single Jewel Cases with Slipcover
Double Jewel Cases

DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray/4K:​

Slipcases (single)
Most Clamshells
Drawer Boxes
Book Boxes
Box only
Standard Keepcases
Standard Keepcases with Slipcovers
Steelbooks
Steelbooks with Slipcovers
DVD Snapper Cases
Jewel Cases

Source:

• Haha
Reactions: leelee17 and laz305
I still don’t understand it. How is this a business? Sounds so stupid and a waste of time and money
There is big money in grading things like sports cards, so I guess they are seeing whether there is a market for graded physical media. There is a lot that I don't get. If you've removed the steelbook from it's factory sealed and opened it, then how can it be in perfect mint condition? If it is still sealed, then how can they grade its condition? I can't even imagine having an apartment full of movies that I can't watch because they're all taking up space in those big stupid sealed cases. But I guess it is possible that there will be some collectors that pay extra money for a graded 9.9 Elf blu-ray steelbook.

[...] My dad was a printer [...]
MFCJ5955DW_main.png

Problem I have with this is to get a high grade you'd need to keep the edition sealed and most steelbooks/slips look shite with the plastic still on so your 'cool' display piece actually looks shite :cautious:

I still don’t understand it. How is this a business? Sounds so stupid and a waste of time and money
CGC will grade the condition of your steelbook and give it a grading and then hermetically seal it preserving it's quality so in case a serious collector is searching for a graded steelbook then the higher the grade the more expensive it becomes and then also the longer it is sealed also plays a factor.

There is big money in grading things like sports cards, so I guess they are seeing whether there is a market for graded physical media. There is a lot that I don't get. If you've removed the steelbook from it's factory sealed and opened it, then how can it be in perfect mint condition? If it is still sealed, then how can they grade its condition? I can't even imagine having an apartment full of movies that I can't watch because they're all taking up space in those big stupid sealed cases. But I guess it is possible that there will be some collectors that pay extra money for a graded 9.9 Elf blu-ray steelbook.
I get it with the sports cards. And even comics etc and other collectibles. But yeah steels make no sense. As you say to then open it etc. It’s no longer new. Probably cost less on the aftermarket. I dunno. Just seems you’d get less for it after it’s open just so they could check if it’s mint or not

I think it’s all a bit silly really.

Reactions: JGCramp
CGC will grade the condition of your steelbook and give it a grading and then hermetically seal it preserving it's quality so in case a serious collector is searching for a graded steelbook then the higher the grade the more expensive it becomes and then also the longer it is sealed also plays a factor.
wtf is a serious collector lol

I kind of get it for comics and trading cards. Some of those things hold ridiculous value. Some comics are worth insane amounts of money and to have a graded rare issue makes sense. It absolutely makes no ******* sense for steelbooks imo and I totally agree is stupid.

There's a lot of controversy right now with CGC because some scams on comics gradings people have found in the last few weeks. There was a loophole (and a potential inside job) on their grading for already graded books and some people have been taking advantage of that.

Screenshot r.png

Screenshot rr.png

• Haha
Reactions: astycorax
Never cared for grading of anything i collect tbh, Comics and books and sports cards etc i can see why people do it But for me personally i collect steelbooks and open them and use the discs and enjoy the packaging they are in, I keep them in hard plastic protectors on my shelf and only take them out when i watch them.

I have a few steelbook's i have kept sealed as i have them 2x in a different steelbook and they are just for display i may consider getting them graded but generally i don't care tbh as its quite costly.

Last edited:
Big comic book collector so I’m familiar with CGC, never used them but I should.
Also being someone who never opens there steelbooks I can see the appeal of grading the steelbook. I suppose it all depends on how many people take this up, more speculator driven market

By the way, I know what grading is (incase my stupidity earlier tricked anyone) and once comics and collectors cards were mentioned it clicked. But reading it in the context of Steelbooks and other cases threw me. Kind of read it wrong and the word seemed alien to me!

An example, was in a shop with a mate years ago and there was a bottle of Robinson drink advertising Wimbledon. The way it was spelt curved around the bottle proper messed with my eyes and I was going to my mate “what’s a bledon? How can you win a bledon? What even is it?”

Until he pointed out it was Wimbledon! And then became a windup joke in work. Such a f**king idiot sometimes