Wireless router for gaming

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Hey guys/gals

I decided it was high time I updated my wireless router. The thing is 5 years old now, and has some problems connecting with new toys (HTC phone, ipad, etc)

Yes I've updated the firmware ...

Anyways, was wondering if you all had any recs for me. Looking for a quality gaming router in the $100-150 range (so no n600 for me :( )

Any help is appreciated ! :)

thanks guys. ill prolly take a look at the netgear, since i don't like to support apple unless i have to :hilarious:

j/k, i looked at prices and i think the netgear was a bit cheaper. seem comparable in other ways.

thanks guys. ill prolly take a look at the netgear, since i don't like to support apple unless i have to :hilarious:

j/k, i looked at prices and i think the netgear was a bit cheaper. seem comparable in other ways.

The netgear is way more configurable than the extreme,extremes are limited in configuration

I use a Linksys WRT-610N dual-band wireless router. I use the 5ghz band exclusively with my HTPC, which connects through a D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge. And I use the router's 2.4ghz band to connect my laptops and other gear.

Even over WiFi and through a bridge I am still able to get sub 10ms pings on Speedtest.net, and get consistently low pings in game servers with no disconnect issues whatsoever.

The wireless bridge is awesome because it allows me to keep my cable modem and router in my office and not have to connect a giant ethernet cable across my apartment to it. :scat:

And the Linksys has that one-button connect mode (forgot the name of the technology) where you can connect to the network without having to enter the network key, just press the button on the router, then press the button on the device, and you're in. Pretty cool!