Genre: Fantasy, Action

Director: Patty Jenkins

Cast: Gal Gadot, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, Chris Pine

Release: 2020-08-14

Attachments

• thr_splash-wonderwomen-b.jpg
    thr_splash-wonderwomen-b.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,949
@Flloydo Oh, and one other thing you previously mentioned that REALLY annoyed me... how they wasted the use of the golden armour. It didn't feel epic at all and they actually made her appear weaker with it on IMO. :meh:

So frustrating. They introduce literal plot armour which would have made sense for WW to use when she had lost her powers, in a last-ditch attempt to avoid having to give up Steve. Using it after didn't make as much sense except maybe to stop Cheetah's claws or something?

My other main gripes/questions are:

1) The kid. Maxwell has no real relationship with his son in the film and the kid who played the son had so little dialogue, it felt forced that this was what made Maxwell recant his wish. I didn't feel any emotion at that resolution as it wasn't set-up properly to make me care.
2) Was there a hard reset button at the end - if not the continuity is completely ******.
3) If wishes were recanted - then when the US wished up extra missiles and fired them off, those would cease to exist. Are we to believe that they sent only all the new missiles so, when the wishes ceased to exist, no "real" missiles were still on route to Moscow?
4) Did Barbara keep her powers after recanting her wish to become an apex predator, cheating by dint of having an extra wish unlike everyone else? Also, what was Barbara's cost for getting WW's powers - she became a bit shittier and lost some empathy, but power can often do that anyway.

The more I think about it, the more the plot and story unravel into an even bigger mess.

So does anyone think that Snyder will have her flying and turning stuff invisible in his justice league? It would make sense to. At least in one or scenes/ fights. Then it would only be a small section of BvS that we didn’t see her use those abilities. And it would make that part a bit better and believable with having those abilities since the 80s

Given she had a short cameo in BvS in the final fight sequence, you could possibly make a very tenuous argument that when she leaps at Doomsday through the air to attack him, she was technically flying at him? But yeah, Snyder might need to retcon some of Justice League since she never uses it and we can't just say she had no need to as it's contradicted by that shot in the Whedon cut where the Flash pushes the sword to her because she cannot reach it in the air.

Reactions: Flloydo
So does anyone think that Snyder will have her flying and turning stuff invisible in his justice league? It would make sense to. At least in one or scenes/ fights. Then it would only be a small section of BvS that we didn’t see her use those abilities. And it would make that part a bit better and believable with having those abilities since the 80s

That’s the thing though she doesn’t fly in a technical sense like Supes can she had to use the lasso to gain altitude then uses the air currents, Steve even address this. “It’s only wind and air, how to ride and catch it”. As for BvS it’s open to interpretation if she uses this ability considering only 5min passes from when she she leaves the plane to save Bats bacon from getting fried by Doomsday.

Given she had a short cameo in BvS in the final fight sequence, you could possibly make a very tenuous argument that when she leaps at Doomsday through the air to attack him, she was technically flying at him? But yeah, Snyder might need to retcon some of Justice League since she never uses it and we can't just say she had no need to as it's contradicted by that shot in the Whedon cut where the Flash pushes the sword to her because she cannot reach it in the air.

DCEU directors have completely thrown out the Josstice League as canon so no need to retcon some of JL as ZS JL is a completely new movie that reflects Terrio’s original script more so than Johns rewrite.

“I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did,” Jenkins said about Whedon’s “Justice League” theatrical cut. “But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on. So then, what are you going to do? I was like…you would have to play ball in both directions in order for that to work.”

Jenkins noted that she worked closely with Snyder to maintain a sense of character continuity for Diana Prince/Wonder Woman through “Wonder Woman,” Snyder’s “Justice League,” and the upcoming “Wonder Woman 1984.” Jenkins and Snyder mapped out where Diana would “sort of end up” by the end of the “Justice League” Snyder cut, thus allowing Jenkins to pick up with the character in “Wonder Woman 1984” in a natural way.”​

So frustrating. They introduce literal plot armour which would have made sense for WW to use when she had lost her powers, in a last-ditch attempt to avoid having to give up Steve.

“nothing good is born from lies” is why Diana renounces her wish and accepts the truth that Steve is gone.

Using it after didn't make as much sense except maybe to stop Cheetah's claws or something?

The Golden Eagle Armour is not one of war but one that the Amazon’s “champion” wears who avoids battle by not seeking it. Steve was able to see this when at Diana’s apartment from the Lasoo when Asteria wore the armour to hold of the army of man to save the other Amazon’s. Later in the movie you can see how strong cheetah’s claws really are by how easily she shreds the wings to bits while WW is defending every single blow delivered by Cheetah. It’s only till after she takes the wings of WW counters while trying to wear cheetah down so she can try to convince her to renounce her wish as she still sees the good in her.

1) The kid. Maxwell has no real relationship with his son in the film and the kid who played the son had so little dialogue, it felt forced that this was what made Maxwell recant his wish. I didn't feel any emotion at that resolution as it wasn't set-up properly to make me care.

That’s exactly it though lord was driven by money and power he totally neglected his son, I for one felt sorry for him.

2) Was there a hard reset button at the end - if not the continuity is completely ******.

if they renounced their wish sure but I confidently bet that Alexander Luthor sure as hell didn’t.

3) If wishes were recanted - then when the US wished up extra missiles and fired them off, those would cease to exist. Are we to believe that they sent only all the new missiles so, when the wishes ceased to exist, no "real" missiles were still on route to Moscow?

IIRC I just remember the USA map lights changing from red to green and then the Russians firing and then the US countered those. So the stone has most likely led them to believe otherwise based on a lie.

4) Did Barbara keep her powers after recanting her wish to become an apex predator, cheating by dint of having an extra wish unlike everyone else? Also, what was Barbara's cost for getting WW's powers - she became a bit shittier and lost some empathy, but power can often do that anyway.

Barbara lost both wishes when she renounced her wish. She lost all her good qualities that made her Barbara ; her joy, warmth and humanity with her first wish.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Billy Talent

IIRC I just remember the USA map lights changing from red to green and then the Russians firing and then the US countered those. So the stone has most likely led them to believe otherwise based on a lie.

*edit* recall this a bit better now. So yes when the President wished for more missiles they took awhile to generate and when they did 100 appeared which went online (monkey paw twist) with more appearing every minute in the later scene. The Russians early missile detection radar picked up on this and saw it as an act of war and decided to proceed with a counter even though they hadn’t been fired. Russians launched the attack in the following scene quickly followed by the Americans so yes there was active missiles in the air. It was only until WW connected with Lord with the lasso in the next scene that the president renounced his wish with a result of missiles exploding and disappearing off the radar. Not even a minute later there was a news reading of ceased fire between the soviets and the USA which has stopped a global nuclear warfare.

So it is irrelevant which missiles were fired because when the president renounced his wish of more missiles it cancelled out the Russians counter from the act of war committed by these new wished upon online missiles. So the stone not only wiped out all the wished upon missiles but also the active missiles from both sides that was a result from the presidents wish.

Last edited:
Lol this is cringe.

this guy thinks Diana has only met 4 guys in 66 years since Steve originally died because of the 4 guys she gets approached by in this film in the space of one day that the audience sees. News for you, men have been approaching Diana since 1918 and she’s shunned them all off because she couldn’t get over Steve for 66 years LOL. That’s the whole point of it all, that men fall at her feet because of how stunning she is and we're seeing a micro version of that in the space of a day and how she’s still not over him after 66 years. It’s pathetic.

And Diana and Barbara had zero connection, chemistry or friendship. Diana couldn’t stand her from the start and only used her for her knowledge going forward because of the stone and the artifafts she had. She then just helped her out after she was attacked. Diana only then started to become suspicious when Barbara started dressing differently and had men at her feet (because of the wish) and the way she also acted around lord. There was no friendship at all. Barbara was not special to Diana at all. She was used

Last edited:
  • Haha

Yeah I was thinking that about the doomsday Scene in BvS too. And again it’s a small part she’s in so she don’t necessarily have to use them but she would of at some point in justice league so I just hope snyder does use them. Otherwise WW84 will just have to be forgotten about lol

• Haha
Reactions: willbar84
Lol this is cringe.

this guy thinks Diana has only met 4 guys in 66 years since Steve originally died because of the 4 guys she gets approached by in this film in the space of one day that the audience sees. News for you, men have been approaching Diana since 1918 and she’s shunned them all off because she couldn’t get over Steve for 66 years LOL. That’s the whole point of it all, that men fall at her feet because of how stunning she is and we're seeing a micro version of that in the space of a day and how she’s still not over him after 66 years. It’s pathetic.

And Diana and Barbara had zero connection, chemistry or friendship. Diana couldn’t stand her from the start and only used her for her knowledge going forward because of the stone and the artifafts she had. She then just helped her out after she was attacked. Diana only then started to become suspicious when Barbara started dressing differently and had men at her feet (because of the wish) and the way she also acted around lord. There was no friendship at all. Barbara was not special to Diana at all. She was used

:rofl::rofl::hilarious: Your hyperbolic conclusion is hilarious I was clearly talking about what was on screen listing every interaction not the previous 66 years wow the lengths you go and the reaches you make lol. Sure she’s probably had more than just 4 interactions with men since she lost Steve but she does mention to Barbara no one has made her laugh like that in a very long time as she doesn’t get out much socially and actually envy’s Barbara. This just shows she hasn’t made a real connection with anyone since Steve and why Barbara IS special to Diana. Saying that Barbara and Diana has no real chemistry is laughable as it’s clearly shown through numerous scenes and even Barbara says to Lord that this is my new friend which Diana probably hasn’t heard in a very long time and after all this time is finally warming upto a friendship. If anything the stone is a key piece to their connection as she is worried about how it is changing Barbara and how she is loosing her best qualities that she personally likes about her such as her warmth, joy and personality.

As for your narrative of Diana not getting over Steve for the past 66 years is pathetic who are you to judge. Your forgetting that she doesn’t age and had to watch all the people she develops bonds with in the first movie grow old and die off so why would she go to the effort of starting to develop a relationship when clearly it wouldn’t work. Also there’s the key point in the film when she finally accepted the truth that Steve is actually gone and nothing good is born from lies. The beauty from this though is Diana got extra borrowed time with Steve from the dreamstone which helped her in more ways than one. As before when she saw a plane flying over she thought of Steve but now thanks to Steve’s words of what flight is it acts as his parting gift to her and now Diana can be at one with Steve and think of him when she’s using her new gift of “flight”.

Also there’s this aswell from BvS “100 years ago I walked away from mankind. From a century of horrors. Man made a world where standing together is impossible.” Two key points with this is it shows that Diana has remained a hidden legend working in the shadows for all these years with the one and only connection she did make didn’t work out as she wasn’t able to get Barbara to renounce her wish which also explains why Diana went back into the shadows and didn’t make any new connections till BvS. Secondly it shows that she still doesn’t fully trust man for what they are capable of so why would she be wanting an actual relationship with a man when these movies go to great lengths to show that Steve is her one true love and that she is content with that after ‘84.

Last edited:
:shipped: you 2 are hilarious when you start arguing about a movie.
I was supposed to do some online tests but this whole debate demanded my focus instead.:LOL:

@willbar84 how would you rate this movie I am genuinely interested, I gave it a 5/10.
The movie didn't do much for me, loved the first one Wonder woman though

:LOL: I thoroughly enjoyed WW84 just like Aquaman ;) and can’t wait to go watch it again Sunday arvo for the third time. Personally it’s an 8.5/10 for me but thinking 8.4 is more appropriate :giggle:

Yeah I was thinking that about the doomsday Scene in BvS too. And again it’s a small part she’s in so she don’t necessarily have to use them but she would of at some point in justice league so I just hope snyder does use them. Otherwise WW84 will just have to be forgotten about lol

based on that WW84 should be forgotten about because she doesn’t use her shield and sword :rofl::rofl::hilarious: it doesn’t matter wether or not Snyder makes her fly in JL as it is now canon just like the shield and sword wether you choose to accept it or not. Like I mentioned earlier it’s up to interpretation how WW got from the plane to doomsday so quickly but in saying that Zack has mentioned on Vero he sees WW flying onscreen in the future.

That’s the thing though she doesn’t fly in a technical sense like Supes can she had to use the lasso to gain altitude then uses the air currents, Steve even address this. “It’s only wind and air, how to ride and catch it”. As for BvS it’s open to interpretation if she uses this ability considering only 5min passes from when she she leaves the plane to save Bats bacon from getting fried by Doomsday.

She gets off a plane. So can she fly or not? :LOL:
:rofl::rofl::hilarious: Your hyperbolic conclusion is hilarious I was clearly talking about what was on screen listing every interaction not the previous 66 years wow the lengths you go and the reaches you make lol. Sure she’s probably had more than just 4 interactions with men since she lost Steve but she does mention to Barbara no one has made her laugh like that in a very long time as she doesn’t get out much socially and actually envy’s Barbara. This just shows she hasn’t made a real connection with anyone since Steve and why Barbara IS special to Diana. Saying that Barbara and Diana has no real chemistry is laughable as it’s clearly shown through numerous scenes and even Barbara says to Lord that this is my new friend which Diana probably hasn’t heard in a very long time and after all this time is finally warming upto a friendship. If anything the stone is a key piece to their connection as she is worried about how it is changing Barbara and how she is loosing her best qualities that she personally likes about her such as her warmth, joy and personality.

As for your narrative of Diana not getting over Steve for the past 66 years is pathetic who are you to judge. Your forgetting that she doesn’t age and had to watch all the people she develops bonds with in the first movie grow old and die off so why would she go to the effort of starting to develop a relationship when clearly it wouldn’t work. Also there’s the key point in the film when she finally accepted the truth that Steve is actually gone and nothing good is born from lies. The beauty from this though is Diana got extra borrowed time with Steve from the dreamstone which helped her in more ways than one. As before when she saw a plane flying over she thought of Steve but now thanks to Steve’s words of what flight is it acts as his parting gift to her and now Diana can be at one with Steve and think of him when she’s using her new gift of “flight”.

Also there’s this aswell from BvS “100 years ago I walked away from mankind. From a century of horrors. Man made a world where standing together is impossible.” Two key points with this is it shows that Diana has remained a hidden legend working in the shadows for all these years with the one and only connection she did make didn’t work out as she wasn’t able to get Barbara to renounce her wish which also explains why Diana went back into the shadows and didn’t make any new connections till BvS. Secondly it shows that she still doesn’t fully trust man for what they are capable of so why would she be wanting an actual relationship with a man when these movies go to great lengths to show that Steve is her one true love and that she is content with that after ‘84.

Hidden? She causes havoc in a shopping mall, struts around the streets in her WW costume, and then broadcasts her message to the entire world via Lord when he's transmitting to everyone. She also doesn't exactly hide her civilian identity, does she?

The more hysterical excuses I hear for the contrivances and holes in the screenplay, the more I dislike it. It's clear that the talent on the last film was Allan Heinberg and Snyder's stunt-team/action unit who gave Jenkins a platform to succeed from.

Now, because of a film set in 1984 for no discernible reason, we have continuity issues out the wazoo. Since Snyder produced this film, at least he might be able to retcon his version of Justice League to make some sense of events from this film. It was bad enough he had to step back in to sort out Whedon & John's horrific mess, he's now probably having to clean up after Jenkins (& John, again) to maintain any sense of continuity.

I take no pleasure in disliking the film as Gadot & Pine were so good in the first one, and Wiig is wasted with too little screen-time and being sidelined, despite being the best thing about WW84 when she's on-screen.

My thoughts on WW84:

I pretty much agree with this to a degree except 2 things. I genuinely started to go off Gal in this film. Which I didn’t want to.

but I really don’t agree this was stuffed with villains. Whilst I thought Pedro was great and wiig was underused (meaning I liked her but I just wish we got a bit more cheetah), Pedros character choices never really created any real villains except for wiig. We see loads of people wishing for stuff and going a bit crazy but the main threat was the US having it off with Russia over nukes, a few stereotypical 80s Arabs wanting nukes which we didn’t see much of either anyway. The film had 2 villains and one them will wasn’t ever used properly (cheetah). 2 villains is fine in my book with superhero films and then every so often more of the film and writing is right. For example Spider-Man 3 could either be epic or a huge fail with the number of villains it apparently has. All depends on how it’s tackled. We’ve seen it work In into the spider verse. Can it work live action? Only Good writing, direction, acting and production will help. And I hope that’s the case.

I still find the whole Steve Trevor coming back as someone else weird though. Like gal literally rapes another man. Just weird considering the start of wiigs villain character is because she’s defending herself from a rapist.

nice review though mate

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
So frustrating. They introduce literal plot armour which would have made sense for WW to use when she had lost her powers, in a last-ditch attempt to avoid having to give up Steve. Using it after didn't make as much sense except maybe to stop Cheetah's claws or something?

My other main gripes/questions are:

The more I think about it, the more the plot and story unravel into an even bigger mess.
Exactly mate... the whole story is a mess and full of plot holes. It's the DCEU's biggest :BS: yet IMHO.