Your Winter Beer Recommendations?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Alright, lets have it ... I know some of you guys are getting much colder weather than I am at the moment. So what are your best or most widely chosen when your arm reaches for the beer freezer at the store.

I could use a good winter beer!

I've noticed that my tastes vary by the seasons. When it's hot, I tend to go for something lighter colored, and when it's cold, I want something I can't see through like KBS or Nemesis from Founders, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Coffee Stout or Oatmeal Stout from Schlafly, Dark Truth Stout from Boulevard, or Guinness. FYI, I've got an Irish Stout fermenting in the basement right now! The dark stuff is actually what got me into the beer world, so I'm learning more about the lighter stuff. Right now my lighter favorites are along the lines of Blue Moon and several different wheat beers. I'll drink some of the mid range stuff year round like Sam Adams Lager or a good Marzen or Oktoberfest (depends on the season).

I think stouts, barleywines, winter warmers. I would say any darker beer with a higher ABV. The best example is Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Its an imperial stout, 13%abv, that is aged in bourbon barrels. When you drink it its like drinking bourbon because you get that warm feeling in your body haha. Guiness IMO is a lower abv stout so I wouldnt consider it a winter beer.

Rogue's Chocolate Stout is a yummy one that can be picked up almost everywhere. (at least that's what I figure since i can get it here). We have two local microbreweries that make delicious beer. One of them makes an Imperial Russian Stout which is like eating a sandwich it's soo thick and delicious.

Here's what I'll be into...

FROM GARRISON:
winter-warmer.png

stout-500.png

baltic-porter.png

FROM PROPELLER:
Picture_1.png
porter.jpg
bitter.jpg

I really like that they put their ingredients on the label. I haven't really tried many porters, but I've got a recipe for a graham cracker porter that I might try to make sometime.

hahahaha, all options sound awesome but not sure if any can hapopen any time soon. The closest Ima gonna be to you guys in the next while is my layover in chicago on the way home from Phoenix in April. I got 2 hours, hahaha.

hahahaha, all options sound awesome but not sure if any can hapopen any time soon. The closest Ima gonna be to you guys in the next while is my layover in chicago on the way home from Phoenix in April. I got 2 hours, hahaha.

Zeus should meet u at the airport :p for a meal.

I try out a lot of winter stuff that I see made from Blue Moon, and while they are ok, they got bit of a rolling rock like taste ... perhaps I should try something more thick like you are basically stating.

I had a "dark side of the moon" one time ... it was awesome. Half blue moon half guiness ... all the brown stays on top ... your pint will look crazy looking.

I found the Bell's Winter White Ale was pretty tasty and not so heavy for a winter beer.

"Taking its cues from Belgian-style white ales, Bell's Winter White Ale offers a lighter yet abundantly flavorful alternative to the traditional heavy winter warmers. Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance, Bell's Winter White Ale is a beer for embracing winter."

Winter%20White%20Six.tif.png

I found the Bell's Winter White Ale was pretty tasty and not so heavy for a winter beer.

"Taking its cues from Belgian-style white ales, Bell's Winter White Ale offers a lighter yet abundantly flavorful alternative to the traditional heavy winter warmers. Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance, Bell's Winter White Ale is a beer for embracing winter."

Winter%20White%20Six.tif.png

Nice choice I love me some good ol Michigan beer. Bell's Hopslam was just release and if anybody can find some I recommend picking up a six pack. Double IPA brew with Honey. Voted on BeerAdvocate as the #8 beer in the world.

heres a nice wisconsin winter brew for you: winter skal

capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/winterskal.html

also, sprecher brewery (a milwaukee brew group) makes a tripple abby that is delicious. its not really a winter brew by character, but they only make it in the fall/winter i think.

heres a nice wisconsin winter brew for you: winter skal

capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/winterskal.html

also, sprecher brewery (a milwaukee brew group) makes a tripple abby that is delicious. its not really a winter brew by character, but they only make it in the fall/winter i think.

You also have new glarus in wisconsin. not many winter beers that i can think of but raspberry tart and belgian red are delicious

You also have new glarus in wisconsin. not many winter beers that i can think of but raspberry tart and belgian red are delicious

yah new glarus is great. and youre right, i havent seen many winter seasonals from them.

recently ive gotten into their pale ale called moon man. its more mild than other pale ales ive tried and a bit sweeter, and im really liking it