Zavvi Prices/Print Runs vs Offerings

What do you think about Zavvi's steelbook offerings (Multiple Selection Allowed)

• Catalogue steelbook prices are too high. I would buy more if the price was lower.

Votes: 79 54.9%
  • New release steelbook prices are too high. I would buy more if the price was lower.

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • Zavvi’s prices are basically fair and reasonable compared to other markets/countries.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Zavvi’s prices would be fair if their steelbooks were fully loaded multi-disc like Future Shop.

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • I am concerned about the upward trend in prices specifically combined with the increased print runs.

Votes: 76 52.8%
  • I think everybody needs to stop whining and just vote with their wallet as consumers.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Overall, Zavvi is doing an excellent job as a new leader in the steelbook market and I applaud them.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • Overall, Zavvi seems to be taking advantage of the market and I will not support them.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Overall, Zavvi seems to be taking advantage of the market but I’ll still buy from them selectively.

Votes: 84 58.3%

• Total voters

jimmyv

Premium Supporter
Mar 27, 2013
SoCal, USA
There is a LOT of chatter on the boards about Zavvi pricing of some of their new steelbook offerings. This thread can serve as an additional venue for folks to express their opinion (via voting and/or via commenting).

Steelbook collectors have seen Zavvi raise their price multiple times recently, and (oddly enough) increase the print run in conjuction with the higher prices, while not supplying fully loaded multi-disc packages. Here are just a few examples.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
3,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £14.99

Many catalogue releases (i,Robot, Commando, Independence Day etc...)
4,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £14.99

Aladdin
5,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £17.99

The Jungle Book and The Little Mermaid
10,000 Print Run (each)
Pre-order price: £22.99

Iron Man 3
Unknown Print Run
Pre-order price: £23.99

Attachments

• zavvi.jpg
    zavvi.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
other steels with high demand getting re-released and this just starts form the beginning with a big print run. i see actually no difference.

What bothers me the most about Zavvi, is their prices. They just keep getting higher and higher for every release. I miss Play.com's exclusives, which had much more affordable and acceptable prices.

I would accept it though if Zavvi released an expensive steelbook which contained a limited printrun, a 3D disc or tons of bonus features. But £23 for a single disc and a 10K+ print run is insane.

Overall I think Zavvi is doing a great job as the new steelbook retailer, but they are slowly becoming some lazy money-greedy basterds.

Essentially I think Zavvi's prices are too high.

I'm not interested in print runs or anything like that. I only buy the movies I want regardless of price. I'll pay £15 for Planet of the Apes, I would pay £20 but I'd rather it was £10. I won't buy From Dusk Til Dawn at £15, but then I also wouldn't have paid £10 either, or £5 for that matter as I simply don't want it.

In the case of Iron Man 3, it's too expensive for what it is, but I'll still buy it. I'd rather it was £15 naturally, and I'd also rather it contained a DVD (and 3D for those who want it) for the price Zavvi are asking. Basically, these single disc new release steelbooks (and a lot of the older titles) aren't offering value for money. The last Fox waves (X-Men, Robocop, Predator etc.) at least gave you a DVD with the Blu-ray, these new ones (Die Hard, Planet of the Apes etc.) seemingly don't.

What bothers me the most is the £14.99 charge for old titles and the rising prices of new steels.
Until someone else can take on Zavvi and grab some of their market share I cant see this changing anytime soon.

I also noticed this upward trend in prices, but according to Wreck, the price of The Little Mermaid and The Jungle Book was not solely determined by zavvi, rather Disney forced to set this price and zavvi was unhappy about it. If that's the case Disney is also responsible at least for its titles. Quite honestly £22.99 for single disk steelbooks is ridiculous even if they are worldwide exclusive.

The main reason I don't like the seeming rising prices and print runs with every Disney release is due to the fact the more they make, the higher the price. To me, that's the opposite of what should be happening. I'd love to jump one very Disney release, but above £20 is my cut off point.

Hopefully, with Thor and Captain America rereleased soon, supposedly at £19.99 each without the traditional £4 price drop, we will see the prices dropping back down to a more bearable level.

die hard 5 hmv exclusive £15, iron man 3 zavvi exclusive £23,
didn't mind paying maybe a £1 or £2 extra above the normal blu-ray but zavvi are taking the piss with their pricing, bring back the £10 play exlcusive pricing on catagloue releases and then watch their sales rocket

Reactions: D4vem88
So it appears most of us feel that Zavvi's non fully loaded steelbook prices are too high, they are concerned about it, but they will continue buy from Zavvi selectively anyway.

So it appears most of us feel that Zavvi's non fully loaded steelbook prices are too high, they are concerned about it, but they will continue buy from Zavvi selectively anyway.

Being a "foreigner" I do find their prices compared to Amazon UK higher but because the shipping fees are so low and the ability to use discount codes on a regular basis it comes out to basically the same amount for us

PS I can see why people in the UK would be upset though compared with what Play & Amazon charged

Reactions: lgans316
die hard 5 hmv exclusive £15, iron man 3 zavvi exclusive £23,
didn't mind paying maybe a £1 or £2 extra above the normal blu-ray but zavvi are taking the piss with their pricing, bring back the £10 play exlcusive pricing on catagloue releases and then watch their sales rocket

£10 steels are fantastic, but where is play.com now?

They have good Disney releases, but I thing the little mermade and the jungle book prices are too expensive compared to the Aladdin one. Why is the price range so different between them?