Zavvi Prices/Print Runs vs Offerings

What do you think about Zavvi's steelbook offerings (Multiple Selection Allowed)

• Catalogue steelbook prices are too high. I would buy more if the price was lower.

Votes: 79 54.9%
  • New release steelbook prices are too high. I would buy more if the price was lower.

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • Zavvi’s prices are basically fair and reasonable compared to other markets/countries.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Zavvi’s prices would be fair if their steelbooks were fully loaded multi-disc like Future Shop.

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • I am concerned about the upward trend in prices specifically combined with the increased print runs.

Votes: 76 52.8%
  • I think everybody needs to stop whining and just vote with their wallet as consumers.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Overall, Zavvi is doing an excellent job as a new leader in the steelbook market and I applaud them.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • Overall, Zavvi seems to be taking advantage of the market and I will not support them.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Overall, Zavvi seems to be taking advantage of the market but I’ll still buy from them selectively.

Votes: 84 58.3%

• Total voters

jimmyv

Premium Supporter
Mar 27, 2013
SoCal, USA
There is a LOT of chatter on the boards about Zavvi pricing of some of their new steelbook offerings. This thread can serve as an additional venue for folks to express their opinion (via voting and/or via commenting).

Steelbook collectors have seen Zavvi raise their price multiple times recently, and (oddly enough) increase the print run in conjuction with the higher prices, while not supplying fully loaded multi-disc packages. Here are just a few examples.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
3,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £14.99

Many catalogue releases (i,Robot, Commando, Independence Day etc...)
4,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £14.99

Aladdin
5,000 Print Run
Pre-order price: £17.99

The Jungle Book and The Little Mermaid
10,000 Print Run (each)
Pre-order price: £22.99

Iron Man 3
Unknown Print Run
Pre-order price: £23.99

Attachments

• zavvi.jpg
    zavvi.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
Prices are too high for what you get. Plus I really like steelbooks which are packed with content, both in features and discs - makes them more special.

What bothers me the most about Zavvi, is their prices. They just keep getting higher and higher for every release. I miss Play.com's exclusives, which had much more affordable and acceptable prices.

I would accept it though if Zavvi released an expensive steelbook which contained a limited printrun, a 3D disc or tons of bonus features. But £23 for a single disc and a 10K+ print run is insane.

Overall I think Zavvi is doing a great job as the new steelbook retailer, but they are slowly becoming some lazy money-greedy basterds.

+1 Exactly my Point

Their prices are high, they don't even reduce the VAT for international orders. Not complaining or whatever but if Zavvi wants to win customers over Amazon UK, they need to get their stuff together as a store. They do release nice steels that people like but to me this is more like a giant crash-grab or "let's take advantage of the OCD collectors out there!".

We, as a community, need to let them know this. Why will they change their prices, charge the right amount or give us more material for the same price if people keep paying them whatever they want? It's not about money, you know? It's about getting your money's worth!

For example, I bought the 'Independence Day' steelbook for which I paid 15£ plus shipping and when I received it was NOTHING like the stock picture, for me it was too dark, too pale, poor finish and I could even see the back artwork. Movie was region B locked (despite of being 20th Century Fox) and only 1 disc. Do I feel I got my money's worth? Hell no, but I guess it was my problem since nobody forced me to order the steel.

Will I be buying more steels from them? No, or maybe just maybe but definitely, not as much as I'd like to.

+1 Originally Posted by ABjerg
What bothers me the most about Zavvi, is their prices. They just keep getting higher and higher for every release. I miss Play.com's exclusives, which had much more affordable and acceptable prices.

I would accept it though if Zavvi released an expensive steelbook which contained a limited printrun, a 3D disc or tons of bonus features. But £23 for a single disc and a 10K+ print run is insane.

Overall I think Zavvi is doing a great job as the new steelbook retailer, but they are slowly becoming some lazy money-greedy basterds.

Completely agree with you.

Reactions: The Rainmaker
Alright then guys. Let's start a worldwide movement against Zavvi and call on them to reduce their prices which they have increased recently to capitalize on the steelbook front. Maybe this thread will do or if everybody agrees, I can start a new thread where we will have options like high prices, how many will buy or not buy, alternatives, VAT reduction for international customers, etc.

All those who want such a thread to be started, please share your opinions, they are more than welcome.

P.S. I myself have stopped buying from them lately due to the sudden increase in prices and that too for 1 disc steelbooks with a bland artwork sometimes, which, obviously is not justified!

No film extras in alot of Zavvi steelbook releases.

What bothers me the most is the £14.99 charge for old titles and the rising prices of new steels.
Until someone else can take on Zavvi and grab some of their market share I cant see this changing anytime soon.

No or very little film extras in alot of Zavvi steelbook releases, you just get the film and maybe commentary.

Just pre-ordered some steels from Zavvi. If it was a price for an amaray version i would pass. Current price and "free" shipping to the Netherlands make me decide to order them. Also because there are limited steelbook releases in the Netherlands and because there are no CD/Movie stores in my neighbourhood.

A lot of my steelbooks i bought on e-bay. If I count the s/h cost with the price for the steelbook, the steelbooks from Zavvi are much cheaper.

I personally think that blu-ray releases in steelbook are gonna be the standard and amaray limited releases. There are more requests for steelbooks (e.g. fast sell outs in stores). If a company sees that people want to pay 5-10 times the original prices on e-bay, why not a larger amount and a little bit higher price.

On the release day of a movie there are several releases to choose from (cheap to more expensive):
- 1 dvd disc version
- 2 dvd disc version (movie + bonus content)
- blu-ray
- blu-ray + dvd
- blu-ray + 3d blu-ray + dvd

For some reason I always wanted then at the time the 2 dvd disc version. Then the most complete version, but thinking back I almost never watch the bonus content.

Still everything is getting more expensive...

Last edited:
A) Does anyone know how much suppliers charge the retailer (Zavvi) for these steelbooks?
B) Does this price alter on print runs between 4,000 and 10,000?

Without this info it's pretty hard to comment...

Without a doubt, Iron Man 3 will cost more than Roger Rabbit/Aladdin, regardless of print run. Most of the cost will go into the film/disc itself, which being a new release will cost a lot more

A) Does anyone know how much suppliers charge the retailer (Zavvi) for these steelbooks?
B) Does this price alter on print runs between 4,000 and 10,000?

Without this info it's pretty hard to comment...

Without a doubt, Iron Man 3 will cost more than Roger Rabbit/Aladdin, regardless of print run. Most of the cost will go into the film/disc itself, which being a new release will cost a lot more

To answer your second question I'm sure the price decreases with a bigger print run. I don't think you would ever be able to find out what the steelbooks wholesale cost is though.