#028 300 (Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) [Europe]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 29, 2018
Purchase links: Amazon IT - Amazon DE - Amazon ES - Amazon FR
Price: €24.99 (Italy - Germany - France) - €24.78 (Spain)

71+EpMOAULL._SY550_.jpg

71sc0FRb+QL._SX522_.jpg
81hZ4B4DlOL._SX522_.jpg
81LoO9NbhXL._SY550_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: apsmith21
  • Thanks
Reactions: harry
Some of his other stuff is actually pretty good, especially that Psycho one. Not a fan of this at all though, it’s probably the weakest one of all his Mondo works.

lol yeah, ive checked the link with his other work and man, most of his artworks are amazing and *of course* they had to choose this one lol! sorry but it looks *lousy*

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
This could have been so much nicer if they did more than slap the poster art on the front and hack everything else up. Imagine it with these changes:

1. Swap colors on the back. White title on red background, like the spine.
2. Spot gloss on the snowflakes, add more of them around the characters to anchor in the image on the steelbook.
3. Make the title on the slip red instead of silver, and place it in the lower right corner to mimic the original art.

This could have been so much nicer if they did more than slap the poster art on the front and hack everything else up. Imagine it with these changes:

1. Swap colors on the back. White title on red background, like the spine.
2. Spot gloss on the snowflakes, add more of them around the characters to anchor in the image on the steelbook.
3. Make the title on the slip red instead of silver, and place it in the lower right corner to mimic the original art.
To be honest I think this is beyond saving! The actual image is weak IMO, I don’t think adding anything will help. I don’t mind the back but the front doesn’t work. Some others may like it though, each to their own! Welcome to the forum!:)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: bloodsnake007
To be honest I think this is beyond saving! The actual image is weak IMO, I don’t think adding anything will help. I don’t mind the back but the front doesn’t work. Some others may like it though, each to their own! Welcome to the forum!:)

Thank you! The truth of it is, it's so bad as whole I felt compelled to make an account just to share some ideas on how it could be fixed. :LOL:

I don't really dislike the image. I don't think it represents the movie very well at all, but that's a different discussion. Collectible packaging is allowed to make odd choices. The problem is, the rest of the steel doesn't do anything to help this already odd (and arguably weak) choice. It makes it worse. That is the real crime imho.

Take a look at the original artwork:

300archive_thumb_99230e82-485c-41b7-bdc5-b7eb09213c62_1024x1024.jpeg

Here, the background is supposed to represent foggy snow. Two characters in a white wasteland. The boy's outline is drawn because he's closer to the foreground, the wolf's isn't because he's covered by light fog, which I think is kind of neat. And the little red title and credits are not part of the scene, but they balance the composition nonetheless. That red is the first thing you see, the foreground, it goes bright red > inked outline > simple contour and it creates the illusion of depth. Sure, you're free not to like the result, but there's some artistic logic in there.

Now the opened steelbook:
300.jpg

The big red title and spine completely break apart the illusion that the white background is part of the scene. Now it looks like four random things thrown on a horizontal piece of paper. Your brain cannot possibly see foggy snow in there anymore. The depth is forced out of your mind, so now it just looks weird that the boy has an outline and the wolf does not. And without the text to balance the composition on the front, the drawing as a whole just has the unfortunate contour of a limp schlong. On top of that (literally :spoil:), the slip just covers the drawing. It's not like the Ex Machina Mondo, where the slip adds something cool to the image, or Ghost in the Shell, where the title is at least centered on the art like any normal title. No, it just covers it for no reason.

Regardless of what you think about the poster art, the least they could do is not butcher the original design. The back of the steel should be red in order to allow the white on the front to stand out and blend with the drawing. The slip should replicate the text on the poster in order to preserve the line of perspective created by that composition. These wouldn't be excessive changes, unless the steelbooks are already printed. Here's a ****** rushed mock-up of what it would look like:

Mockup.jpg

Reactions: Noodles and Sigill
Thank you! The truth of it is, it's so bad as whole I felt compelled to make an account just to share some ideas on how it could be fixed. :LOL:

I don't really dislike the image. I don't think it represents the movie very well at all, but that's a different discussion. Collectible packaging is allowed to make odd choices. The problem is, the rest of the steel doesn't do anything to help this already odd (and arguably weak) choice. It makes it worse. That is the real crime imho.

View attachment 402462

Here, the background is supposed to represent foggy snow. Two characters in a white wasteland. The boy's outline is drawn because he's closer to the foreground, the wolf's isn't because he's covered by light fog, which I think is kind of neat. And the little red title and credits are not part of the scene, but they balance the composition nonetheless. That red is the first thing you see, the foreground, it goes bright red > inked outline > simple contour and it creates the illusion of depth. Sure, you're free not to like the result, but there's some artistic logic in there.

View attachment 402466

The big red title and spine completely break apart the illusion that the white background is part of the scene. Now it looks like four random things thrown on a horizontal piece of paper. Your brain cannot possibly see foggy snow in there anymore. The depth is forced out of your mind, so now it just looks weird that the boy has an outline and the wolf does not. And without the text to balance the composition on the front, the drawing as a whole just has the unfortunate contour of a limp schlong. On top of that (literally :spoil:), the slip just covers the drawing. It's not like the Ex Machina Mondo, where the slip adds something cool to the image, or Ghost in the Shell, where the title is at least centered on the art like any normal title. No, it just covers it for no reason.

Regardless of what you think about the poster art, the least they could do is not butcher the original design. The back of the steel should be red in order to allow the white on the front to stand out and blend with the drawing. The slip should replicate the text on the poster in order to preserve the line of perspective created by that composition. These wouldn't be excessive changes, unless the steelbooks are already printed. Here's a ****** rushed mock-up of what it would look like:

View attachment 402484
I do like your mock up a lot better. The red does differentiate the back from the front and makes it stand out more. The text definatly looks better when it’s not in the middle. Good job!:thumbs:

Reactions: Coconut

View attachment 402462

View attachment 402466

View attachment 402484
Amazing what a few slight changes can do. Nice job! :thumbs:

Welcome to the community by the way! It's great to have you here. :)

Reactions: Coconut
Amazing what a few slight changes can do. Nice job! :thumbs:

Welcome to the community by the way! It's great to have you here. :)

Thank you! I often check this site for steelbook pictures and reviews when I want to buy something, it's nice to contribute with something for a change. Wish they would actually fix this design, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles