Hidefninja new SteelBook™ Collector Lounge

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
*For retailer-specific chat, please visit the new Retailer Steelbook Zone here

Welcome all Steelbook newcomers from around the world!

For more Steelbook lists, pictures, and resources visit:

This is a thread for those new to the hobby or those with general questions about collecting Steelbooks, including retailer-specific questions.

To keep things organized, please keep all trading talk in the Trading forum, and search for specific Steelbooks for more specific title-specific questions.

I am sure our seasoned members are happy to provide assistance, so please don't be afraid to ask-we all started this addiction somewhere. Regardless if your collection is small or large, someone here can probably help.

Have fun!:D
DB

Steelbook & Collecting FAQ's:

Q: Where can I find a list of Steelbooks released?

A: blu-raysteelbooks.com

Q: Can I play movies contained inside Steelbooks on my Blu-Ray Player?

A: It depends-Blu-Rays are coded with Region A, B or C. Most Blu-Rays are "unlocked", regardless of what region they are, but it's always a good idea to check this forum or web resources before buying, as some are "locked".

Q: What are the differences between Steelbooks™, Iron Packs™, Metal Paks™, Viva Metal Boxes, Tins, etc?

A: Check out pics and discussion in our forum here

Q: What does "G1" and "G2" mean when discussing Steelbooks?

A: "G1" (1st Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a DVD-sized case. And "G2" (2nd Generation) refers to a Blu-Ray in a Blu-Ray-sized case.

Q: How to fix a loose disc on a steelbook you want to keep factory sealed that came with a floater?

A: Fixing a loose disc

Q: How do I navigate international shopping sites?

A: You can download a free 'add on' for most browsers called 'Google Translate'. Once you have it installed, the pages will translate automatically.

Q: I have many more questions-is there a general list of links to help me learn about Steelbooks, protecting them, etc?

A: Yes, here

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the point in collecting steelbooks? Is it the money they could bring in the future? Or that they're just rare?

I really like Slipcovers... I guess it's the same thing... :)

My doom ( and I mean it) was the day I found Terminator 2 in Costco Cumbres, regularely in the offcie we have Pizza Friday and most of time is Costco pizza.

I went to the blu ray section to check for new releases since at that time I was not member of Costco, I read about SteelBooks but never believed them were so pretty once on hand, I swap stock in both Costcos in town for lot of people that I sold or trade over a well know site.

From that point I have being collecting Steels leaving the regular cases for very special releases since one way or the other steels will came out cheaper or expensive (new paramounts GER, RE walmart, Disney SB and now IPs).

I collect them just for the fun and as a high class collection I love the stickers and foreing covers, for me that add more vallue to them.

Hey Jex, generally it is because of the "premium" look and feel of the case, and the fact that SB's are usually limited pressings (once the manufactured qty is gone, it's never released again). But there are exceptions to the latter-for instance, Germany sometimes reprints its Steelbooks. Some buy to resell, and others don't care to do so.

Like any other items that are "collected", I think it really depends on the "type" of collector as to what extent he/she goes to in collecting/protecting, etc.

Some are OCD and collect every Steelbook ever released (a few hundred). For others, a choice is made between covers, even if multiple ones are released of the same title. For others, it's a choice somewhere in between. Some buy the Steelbook to keep them sealed (just choose not to open them),and others open and watch them,like other movies. Some buy the Steelbook regardless if they hated the movie, and others only buy those Steelbooks for which they enjoyed the movie.

Less than a handful of Steelbooks have risen astronomically in value, due to limited runs, errors, etc, but for the most part I think people collect them, because they are generally limited in qty, some have unique art from Amaray, and some are very detailed in inside and outside artwork. Plus they're HOT!;)

DB

Reactions: biscuitnoir
Hey Wreck, really? Do you think it's because there are just many with the same cover getting released, economic factors, Steels are more mainstream now, more easily accessible, etc etc?

Hey Wreck, really? Do you think it's because there are just many with the same cover getting released, economic factors, Steels are more mainstream now, more easily accessible, etc etc?

The quantity of titles being printed in steelbook released (worldwide) has created a problem for the OCD completist.

I'm glad steelbooks have become more popular, they are easier to get, and things of that sort - good for most of us...unless you are OCD.

Ap-yeah, I am glad I was never obsessed with getting every cover-Terminator alone was just ridiculous, LOL-but to each their own:)

Hi Computer-great suggestion-feel free to suggest some FAQ's, and we'll consider them for a quick FAQ in OP.

Thanks!
DB

We typically use G1 size to mean DVD sized steelbooks (or Generation 1 size)

and G2 is Blu-ray sized steelbooks (or Generation 2)

Already knew that but ya was suggesting that for a FAQ because I still see some people asking on steelbook forums once and a while.
Didn't know that when I first started but ya good to see a thread like this for new collectors.

I think the days of the OCD collectors (obtaining all) are long gone.

I am going to have to completely agree with you on that point.

Although I do believe that there are still a few OCD Completists out there, I think the days of "getting them all" are a thing of the past as there are just too many releases coming to even try to get them all. Back when I was doing it, the numbers were bad enough, but still quite manageble. Now, well just look at the release list for the next two and a half months and you will get the picture of where the BD Steelbook has gone.

Cheers
CrashKelly