The New "Collectible Packaging" - "Viva Metal Box"

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Edit-digitalbabe-it has been confirmed by our industry contacts that these are not Steelbooks(TM), Iron Packs(TM) or Metal Paks(TM).

At the direct request of the company that has manufactured the new packaging, please do not contact them directly, as they have again stated that they will not provide further product details to consumers, given their confidentiality agreements with their clients.

******To discuss individual releases, please see the threads for each release.******

A note from Wreck, Site Developer:
First and foremost, I would like to remind everyone that the reason why IronPack is no longer being sold is due to them infringing on trademark rights held by G&M/Scanavo for the SteelBook product.

This new metal packaging that everyone is talking about, and is listed on the FutureShop pre-orders is shown below.

I am making this post to inform you all, so you can make up your purchasing decision on your own. Some other Countries are releasing some of these in SteelBooks so if that is what you prefer just get with one of the mods or search the SteelBook forum to find the steelbooks for those titles.

Running a community site for blu-ray collectors and then also running bluraysteelbooks.com can sometimes put me in a tight situation. We try to cover all collectible packaging because it will get posted by our members regardless, and we like to keep the forums tidy.

On the other hand, the same way IronPack got shut down, this new packaging might and probably will get shut down to. It looks pretty close to the same.

So make up your own mind on this product, as I presume each person will. I myself am a steelbook fan through and through. But we have staff members and members here who dont care so long as its metal. I apologize in advance to you members if it feels like I take sides, but just remember ... I'm a collector just like your first, and webmaster second. So sometimes my feelings get the better of me. :p

It will be interesting none the less to see whether this package is a rip off, quality made, or an outright inferior product. Time will tell.

Until then, based on all my findings and HEARD here first ... here is what I have gathered to be the product. There is a regular version, and slim version case. They do embossing and things of that nature too. One of their marketers is that of the same company who deals with what we call the Blu-ray Steel Cases. IE. The blu-ray metal slip covers from Australia. It looks as if VIVA is the parent company of Brackley Industries or just that Brackley markets for them "down under".

It's called a Blu-ray Metal Box

Below is a standard inside shot of their spindles.
attachment.php

Example of their "Slim" box. They also have other solutions.
attachment.php

Some inside/two-sided art from FS:
original

original

original

original

original

original

original

original

Attachments

• bdmb1.jpg
    bdmb1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 244
  • blu-ray-metal-box.jpg
    blu-ray-metal-box.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
one interesting fact is they say they can do a lenticular front for 3d blu-rays. Tho I guess really any metal packaging could kind of like the Iron Man 2 Target Exclusive MetalPak

Reactions: Marina Blue
I won't mind this NEW thing whatever it's called as long as it's g2 size and durable. I don't want some cheap tinfoil crap that folds like toilet paper :D

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

So X-Men will probably have the same metal packaging too???

There is no split all the way down (like a metalpak) .. but the plastic part holding that together in the inside some what resemble that it seems.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

I won't mind this NEW thing whatever it's called as long as it's g2 size and durable. I don't want some cheap tinfoil crap that folds like toilet paper :D

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

So X-Men will probably have the same metal packaging too???

Definite yes. Yeah it would be a sad day for blu-ray collectors if these are not durable. For all who do get these, just be conscious at first, since it is a new product and all.

I've already pre-orderd these so I'm willing to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt because they do look quite lovely.

Hi All-just a quick reminder that I have a group buy-if anyone else needs help getting these, please visit here.

Comrade-see Wreck's post above-this will not likely be "tins"(but that's only a guess), but we'll all need to wait and see-only so many details are allowed to be posted, as studios and retailers both have confidentiality agreements in place. Rest assured, as new info becomes available, we will post updates.

Last edited:
Right, but they make a bunch of products and that looks like the AU TIN ... do you have some type of confirmation that it's a Blu-ray Metal Box instead?

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

THANKS DB

Hey Wreck,

No,the info you posted is the only info I am aware of. I meant that the front page item looks more like a thick box (Tin), such as is often used for releases that have cards and other items, whereas the item you posted was a slimmer package. Since the FS site that there would only be a BD, DVD and digital copy, I am not sure those huge tins are necessary for these releases. But which version of their "metal box" (slim or thick) they'll use is anybody's guess for now, until we get more info.

Last edited:
I wonder why Disney refuses to go back to Steelbook in Canada, would be interesting if some insiders knows something about that.

Per FS product buyer, Apperently Disney discontinued steelbooks in Canada in '09. They never gave a reaon why.

Reactions: axcraig