Open These Steels! - Or Get A Dent Impression Over Time!

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
When you find steels like this, you got only three choices if you are a sealed collector. Security tags on paper backing like this WILL DENT your sealed steels over time due to the shrink wrap pressing the tag hardly up against the steelbook.

here5.jpg

1) Dont worry, dont care, over time it will get dented - But if you NEVER plan to open it, nor sell it down the road then I guess it doesn't matter.

2) Open it. Or slighly open it - ie. Cut the top of shrink wrap, pull out the paper backing

3) Cut a "slit" inside the plastic from the side - then pull back on the part where the security tag rests; this keeps the tag from pressing hard up against the steelbook - Don't store it tightly in a shelf/rack with other steels or it will press the tag right back up against the steel.

As a collector who keeps steelbooks sealed, if you were to one day sell this steelbook to a collector who opens their steelbooks. They may open it only to find a dent impression. Security tags are quite long, so these dent impressions are also quite long. Hell, they are worse looking than a micro ding.

I've had this happen to me before, so I'm trying to educate everyone so it doesnt happen to you. Anytime you see a steelbook in your collection that has a security tag on the back paper ... POST THE TITLE OF STEELBOOK in this thread.

For all you HARRY POTTER SHELF OWNERS - Harry Potter 7.2 (at least mine) had this on it. If you ram it sealed down into your shelf then you are guaranteeing this dent impression at an even faster rate.

I think WE as steelbook collectors should definitely value any sealed steelbooks with cut slits in shrink wrap on side or cut shrink wrap on top with paper backing out just as much as we would normally value a sealed steelbook.

SECURITY TAG ON PAPER BACKING EDITIONS:

Harry Potter 7.2 FutureShop Exclusive (For some)
Book of Eli FutureShop (pretty sure all)
Watchmen FutureShop (some/all?)
Clash of Titans FutureShop (some/all?)
The Hangover 2 FutureShop (some/all)
Robin Hood FutureShop
Wrath of The Titans 3D Best Buy (pretty sure all)

Terminator Salvation IronPack FutureShop

Attachments

• here6.jpg
    here6.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
As I said before, I'm one of the rare on these boards who actually open ALL his steels and WATCH the movie inside, so problem solved.
(yes, there's a free bonus movie inside those magnificent cases) :hilarious:

Love the last line Drum, funny. I'm weird, I keep a lot sealed, while open others. I usually keep sealed what I think will be worth alot ... as I like collecting these based on value, rarity, etc. (if I like that movie of course. I was a big basketball card collector growing up ;)).

I added a list of the two titles I know that have this, I'm sure there are others.

As I open all my steelbooks, and find it's pointless to keep them sealed, I say, gotta suck it up and open them, they're movies not original comics :p

This isnt the thread of SEALED vs. OPEN but maybe a thread about everyone's view points on that should be created haha.

However, If you had 10 sealed IM futureshop's or John rambo's you probably wouldnt be saying that. Because the premium a person will pay "on they bay" for a sealed version is WAYYYY more than an open. Plus since when did original comics ever come sealed? ;p

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

yep, that's why it's a bad idea to stack multiple steelbook on it's back.

I see several people stacking them up that way...bad bad bad.

That too! Heard long ago to always have them on their bottom as people have dented steels when having huge stacks on their back for a period of time.

I agree with you guys. I open my steels too but while your unpacking your box with all your brand new steels and you start to stack them the very bottom ones get squashed harder and harder. If one of those bottom steels has a security tag and you have like 8 to 15 steels stacked on top of it it may very well leave a impression mark on your steel. :ohno: This is how I see it.

EDIT: You beat me to it Wreck. LOL

The LOTR Bestbuy stelbook is almost perfect up until to the point of opening the shrinkwrap:

LOTRBB1.jpg

bubble.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

I have 100% sealed Bluray Steelbook Collection and 100% confidence level that all are in excellent pristine dentless condition :)

Last edited:
Thats because you've found pristine copies, then resealed some. Least that's what you said with sucker punch.

I bet the glue behind alliance CA titles probably isnt good to be there for long period of times on sealed steels. Tho perhaps some type of spray could clean that off a couple years later if someone were to open one that far beyond.

I've had sealed steels that look 100% pristine, only to open it and behind paper backing is a small scratch or ding that happened BEFORE it was shrink wrapped. This could be the same of your collection xage ; unless of course you opened, checked, resealed etc.

I've had sealed steels that look 100% pristine, only to open it and behind paper backing is a small scratch or ding that happened BEFORE it was shrink wrapped. This could be the same of your collection xage ; unless of course you opened, checked, resealed etc.

I got an extra copy of each blu-ray steelbook, I opened the extra for convenience purpose (and its something of a psychological dysfunction after not acquiring X3 steelbook in DVD format).

I think the only exception of this thread (in terms of North American title) is the Atlas Shrugged Steelbook.

P.S.

I got the following tools: Shrinkwrap sealer, Heat Gun (very helpful) and a customized "Made In Mexico" perma ink stamp (with dark blue ink refill)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only titles from the USA and Canada that are likely to have security strips in the packaging, right? As far as I know this isn't generally done in Europe, as most shops/vendors apply their own external security tags (e.g. HMV stores).

One thing I have noticed is that the gum used to secure the paper backing on some steelbooks tends to discolour and darken the backing over time (District 9 is a good example). I have no idea what it's done to the finish on the steelbook as I'm too :ohno: to unseal it now, but I'm guessing it can't be good. Another good reason not to stack your steelies.

never have an OOP steels before, but now i have X-Men First Class & Pulp Fiction (both play & still sealed, maybe opened later :p ) although i want to have the french X-Men :p

about the security tags, as far as i remember, all of mine didn't have it on the outside, but inside :D

well i don't know what other collectors mean when they say factory sealed and dent-less because with steelbooks that come with cardboard artwork, i never really know that they're completely dent less unless i open them.

...and yes, the glue that comes with the cardboard can leave a hard residue after some time. be careful when you scrape it off ;)

Last edited:
Hey Wreck...good thread. Maybe start a list in the OP for quick reference of steels to be aware of.
I have a FS WATCHMEN & CLASH OF THE TITANS both with the security bar underneath the cardboard insert.

ROBIN HOOD (CA FS)

Last edited:
I don't have this problem because I open all of my steelbooks! But I have most of my paper flyers and cardboards and I can go through them and look at which ones have this security take... I must have at least 60 of these.

Will report back what I find.