Bottleneck Gallery 2001: A Space Odyssey LENTICULAR

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
We’re hopping into a new dimension with our latest project, and we’re excited to offer a sneak peek to Bottlebux members!

Here at Bottleneck we have a copious amount of love for most aspects of the movie-going experience. One of our most cherished aspects of cinemas has always been movie posters (hence, Bottleneck Gallery’s existence!), and we’ve been working to resurrect and enhance one of the most interesting experiments in the movie poster field--lenticular posters!

As a brief background, movie studios would issue 3D (lenticular) movie posters for certain films. Check out the following gallery of some of our favorites from back in the day:
2.gif3.gif4.gif5.gif

However, due to the high cost of these lenticular movie posters, studios shifted to digital posters, and unfortunately lenticular posters fell by the wayside.

We’ve always been fans of more unique and experimental movie posters, and we truly believe that lenticular posters shake up the status quo of the standard movie poster, and contain a wealth of creativity.

With all that said, we’ve teamed up with some incredible printers to create a new line of officially licensed, high quality lenticular movie prints! We’re currently offering two versions of lenticular prints:
  1. A thinner (1mm), flexible PET lenticular print mounted on dense paper backing.
  2. A thick lenticular print (4mm), akin to plexi-glass, called polystyrene. We call this one Lenticular Plex for ease of differentiation.

“The thicker 4mm has a stronger 3D effect due to the construction of the lens, it is also the original lenticular movie posters.

The 1mm is a newer technology, it’s thinner and easier to handle, but the effect isn’t quite as strong, but you wouldn’t be able to tell unless they are side by side truthfully.”
All lenticular prints will ship flat packed and cannot be combined with any print orders.

Our first lenticular release is for the sci-fi cornerstone 2001: A Space Odyssey. A movie that groundbreaking deserves an equally groundbreaking poster!

The prints will go on sale on Friday (6/12) @ 12PM ET on our homepage.

6.gif
2001: A Space Odyssey - Lenticular
1mm PET mounted on paper backing
24 x 36 inches
Hand-numbered en verso with BNG hologram of authenticity
Limited edition of 300
$100

2001: A Space Odyssey - Lenticular Plex
4mm Polystyrene
24 x 36 inches
Hand-numbered en verso with BNG hologram of authenticity
Limited edition of 200
$200

Please note: All lenticular prints ship flat and cannot be combined with any other order

Estimated to ship in 6 - 8 weeks

Reactions: hatredhorror
just read that polystrene is prone to brittling and quickly yellows when exposed to UV light... there are two far superior materials when creating a lenticular (acrylic and petg)...

i wanted to buy a print initially.. but im heavily into high quality items and here it seems to be quite the cost-cutting variant.....

@Wreck sorry for summoning you, but you do seem to know a lot about such things in general:

i have no clue what to expect here... are these high quality? will they look cheap compared to a nicely framed high quality screenprint?

@hatredhorror personally I am waiting on the WW84 on lenticular they are going to do. Supposedly the effect on the thinner one isn't as pronounced but not as noticeable unless compared to each other. It is an experiment no doubt but I am sure the guys at bottleneck tested it out before going ahead with it

Reactions: hatredhorror
thanks m8, it sold out within a second or so tho.. went through paypal straight into a “out of stock“ screen *sigh* :( ******* ipados hanged up for a second and i had to refresh *poof* gone :(

@hatredhorror I still think they are goingt o do a few of these. I know for a fact at least WW84 and a few others in case you decide on a different one in the future