52 KB · Views: 319
  • 91QWtuvBAiL._SL500_.jpg
    91QWtuvBAiL._SL500_.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 306
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
I watched this film tonight on Blu-ray. I remember it looking poor when I first watched it, despite being a good film… shocking image quality.

I thought it was just a bad transfer on the Blu-ray, so rented the ‘HD’ version on Amazon… also totally shocking.

Geez, did they really make the artistic decision to shoot this film on a Nokia, or something? The final scene is pristine clean, obviously actual HD, so it must have been an aesthetic choice, right?
Picture Quality
It's meant to look that way on purpose
See post#288
This is discussed in the extras on the disc about making the film the use of the cameras

It was filmed using Canon XL1 digital video camera.

Danny Boyle made a conscious decision to shoot the entire film using DV-based Canon XL1 cameras due to the "harshness" of the video. He believed that such rough-edged quality would help give the film a sense of grittiness and real-world plausibility that would benefit the overall narrative

Last edited:
I watched this film tonight on Blu-ray. I remember it looking poor when I first watched it, despite being a good film… shocking image quality.

I thought it was just a bad transfer on the Blu-ray, so rented the ‘HD’ version on Amazon… also totally shocking.

Geez, did they really make the artistic decision to shoot this film on a Nokia, or something? The final scene is pristine clean, obviously actual HD, so it must have been an aesthetic choice, right?
It was shot on digital video using mostly handheld camcorders from 2001 and looks every bit of it.

You should follow this viewing up with The Blair Witch Project, Inland Empire and Unsane to really showcase your A/V equipment.

It was shot on digital video using mostly handheld camcorders from 2001 and looks every bit of it.

You should follow this viewing up with The Blair Witch Project, Inland Empire and Unsane to really showcase your A/V equipment.
Blair witch project is one of my fav horror films, but I get the use of the dv camcorder in that film to create authenticity

I saw both of them 28 Days/Weeks Later - for 120€ combined. One is brand new the other like new.

Supposedly Disney lost rights to this one. Perhaps there is hope for remaster edition or 4K?
Though i heard this has been shot video and not 35mm...

Supposedly Disney lost rights to this one. Perhaps there is hope for remaster edition or 4K?
Rights still with Disney
It's a film from Fox Searchlight Pictures now known as Searchlight Pictures aka Disney

Searchlight Pictures was one of the 21st Century Fox film production companies that was acquired by Disney

Just because it was removed from Star (Disney)+ in 2022 and not with other streaming providers does not mean Disney no longer have the rights
Disney removed over 40 films from Star aka Disney+ 2022/2023
Disney just not licenced out 28 days later to other streaming providers at the moment

Yeah, you are right - part was filmed with a hand held digital video camera which was not even HD resolution, large sequences were filmed in 35mm so these are the sequences they might benefit from a remaster as you say. ...the dv stuff less so. Inland empire was pretty much filmed on low res dv camera and has recently been remastered so that gives an idea of what is possible..

Reactions: TheWildEye
Rights still with Disney
It's a film from Fox Searchlight Pictures now known as Searchlight Pictures aka Disney

Searchlight Pictures was one of the 21st Century Fox film production companies that was acquired by Disney

Just because it was removed from Star (Disney)+ in 2022 and not with other streaming providers does not mean Disney no longer have the rights
Disney removed over 40 films from Star aka Disney+ 2022/2023
Disney just not licenced out 28 days later to other streaming providers at the moment

28 days / weeks were never owned by fox LMFAO

28 days / weeks were never owned by fox LMFAO
Both are films that was distributed by Fox

You do realise 28 Weeks Later is still available on Disney+ in UK/Ireland and other international countries (Star brand on Disney+ is films and tv content that was distributed by Fox)
Screenshot (21).png

28 days later was removed from Disney+ in October 2022
That's not unusual as they started to remove some fox films in 2022/2023
Over 40 films has been removed since then

Both are films that was distributed by Fox

You do realise 28 Weeks Later is still available on Disney+ in UK/Ireland and other international countries (Star brand on Disney+ is films and tv content that was distributed by Fox)
View attachment 560694

28 days later was removed from Disney+ in October 2022
That's not unusual as they started to remove some fox films in 2022/2023
Over 40 films has been removed since then
And obviously distribution has ended for 28 days later that’s why it’s not available digitally or physically

Yeah, you are right - part was filmed with a hand held digital video camera which was not even HD resolution, large sequences were filmed in 35mm so these are the sequences they might benefit from a remaster as you say. ...the dv stuff less so. Inland empire was pretty much filmed on low res dv camera and has recently been remastered so that gives an idea of what is possible..
I would be really surprised if any kind of remaster would improve the picture due to how it was filmed.... But you never know, would be great if possible.

Strange that Disney+ have removed 28 Days but not 28 Weeks, both great movies IMO.

Reactions: 5t33lb0y