Status
Not open for further replies.

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Should I go with ONE region free player or buy one for region A and another for region B?

Any recommendations for region free players? That would actually stay free and not need any tweaking in the future?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers!

Should I go with ONE region free player or buy one for region A and another for region B?

Any recommendations for region free players? That would actually stay free and not need any tweaking in the future?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers!

I have an Oppo BDP-93 with a hardware mod that plugs into the back. It's awesome because when I want to change regions I just punch in a key combination on the remote, turn off the player and back on and its good for that region.

I can still apply firmware updates just as long as I unplug the mod, when its done i just plug it back in and I'm good. I find this to be the best option when it comes to having a region free player.

If you were to go the cheap route and purchase one of these cheap players that require you to roll back the firmware in order to make it region free you have to be prepared to accept the fact that if a new technology on a Blu-ray disc comes out that requires a firmware update to make it work you won't be able to apply it or you'll lose your ability to have a region free player.

That's what you have to decide. If not being able to play the latest and most technologically advanced discs doesn't bother you I say go the cheap route if it does then I say throw down the extra cash for the more advanced and expensive player. Also I believe that Oppo has some newer models out than what I have.

That's just my .02.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 with a hardware mod that plugs into the back. It's awesome because when I want to change regions I just punch in a key combination on the remote, turn off the player and back on and its good for that region.

I can still apply firmware updates just as long as I unplug the mod, when its done i just plug it back in and I'm good. I find this to be the best option when it comes to having a region free player.

If you were to go the cheap route and purchase one of these cheap players that require you to roll back the firmware in order to make it region free you have to be prepared to accept the fact that if a new technology on a Blu-ray disc comes out that requires a firmware update to make it work you won't be able to apply it or you'll lose your ability to have a region free player.

That's what you have to decide. If not being able to play the latest and most technologically advanced discs doesn't bother you I say go the cheap route if it does then I say throw down the extra cash for the more advanced and expensive player. Also I believe that Oppo has some newer models out than what I have.

That's just my .02.

Thanks for the input! :)

The "missing out on new technology if going with cheaper players" had slipped past me :emb:

So just to confirm, you wouldn't recommend getting modified players from the likes of this or that ? Are these the ones you meant when you mentioned "rolling back, updates etc..."?

Sorry if I'm asking one too many questions :)

P.S: I checked Oppo's site, they got 2 models, one at $500 and another at $1200.

Thanks for the input! :)

The "missing out on new technology if going with cheaper players" had slipped past me :emb:

So just to confirm, you wouldn't recommend getting modified players from the likes of this or that ? Are these the ones you meant when you mentioned "rolling back, updates etc..."?

Sorry if I'm asking one too many questions :)

P.S: I checked Oppo's site, they got 2 models, one at $500 and another at $1200.

If you read back in this thread some people mention that there are some players that you can buy as a standard player and then with a firmware rollback you can then turn it into a multi-region player.

The players that are at those sites that you linked to are modified hardware modded players. The question that is important is will you still be able to update the firmware as new Blu-ray disc technology surfaces. It's mainly menu systems that are ever changing with new technology on the discs.

You may put in a disc and suddenly realize that you have no control over the Top Menu because of new advanced technology. Usually hardware modded players will allow for firmware updates but it's better safe than sorry to make sure you can before you purchase it. Get in touch with the retailer and ask if the firmware updates can still be applied as they come out and still allow the multi-region hack to work.

When I purchased my Oppo BDP-93 it was $500 so any Oppo model in that price range would probably be equivalent to what I have with a few extra features to boot.

Paying the extra money for a good player with a hardware mod is better at accommodating your needs rather than a $60 cheap model that can become multi-region with a firmware rollback. Some members on here may disagree but that is the big picture.

I went the 2 player route but if you get an Oppo you certainly dont need 2. If you got the cash then the Oppo is the way to go.

Reactions: IRON MAN

That's just my .02.

I have had some good luck with the Oppo units. They are really nice piece of kits and I think I might need to check out the BDP-93 now. What exactly are you plugging into it?

If you read back in this thread some people mention that there are some players that you can buy as a standard player and then with a firmware rollback you can then turn it into a multi-region player.

The players that are at those sites that you linked to are modified hardware modded players. The question that is important is will you still be able to update the firmware as new Blu-ray disc technology surfaces. It's mainly menu systems that are ever changing with new technology on the discs.

You may put in a disc and suddenly realize that you have no control over the Top Menu because of new advanced technology. Usually hardware modded players will allow for firmware updates but it's better safe than sorry to make sure you can before you purchase it. Get in touch with the retailer and ask if the firmware updates can still be applied as they come out and still allow the multi-region hack to work.

When I purchased my Oppo BDP-93 it was $500 so any Oppo model in that price range would probably be equivalent to what I have with a few extra features to boot.

Paying the extra money for a good player with a hardware mod is better at accommodating your needs rather than a $60 cheap model that can become multi-region with a firmware rollback. Some members on here may disagree but that is the big picture.

All right, time to get emailing then :) Thanks again, much obliged. :)

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

I have had some good luck with the Oppo units. They are really nice piece of kits and I think I might need to check out the BDP-93 now. What exactly are you plugging into it?

Yes I'd like to know what this hardware mod is as well please. I'm considering the BP 103 now :)

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Here's the reply from multiregionmagic

Yes the latest firmwares can be downloaded from our site and will allow the Icos mod to continue to work

So this seems to be a safe route as well.

I'd still like to know what that hardware mod that AcIdC0R3 mentioned is though :)

If you were to get an Oppo I would go with the new model, the BDP-103. You can get them off of Amazon and other places too. The Region Free Hardware Modification Kit for the 103 can be found HERE. When I paid for mine it was only $40 so I guess with the new model comes a higher priced mod too. $60 is not too bad still. :LOL: Here's a picture of one.

oppo-regionkit.jpg

timthumb.php

If you were to get an Oppo I would go with the new model, the BDP-103. You can get them off of Amazon and other places too. The Region Free Hardware Modification Kit for the 103 can be found HERE. When I paid for mine it was only $40 so I guess with the new model comes a higher priced mod too. $60 is not too bad still. :LOL: Here's a picture of one.

oppo-regionkit.jpg

timthumb.php

Thanks man, appreciate all the help :thumbs:

Time to save for an Oppo :D

My only concern is whether I might need after sales support. I contacted Oppo and their warranty doesn't cover the unit in Dubai. I would have to spend enormous shipping charges to send it to them in case it needs servicing. :(

My only concern is whether I might need after sales support. I contacted Oppo and their warranty doesn't cover the unit in Dubai. I would have to spend enormous shipping charges to send it to them in case it needs servicing. :(

Well from what I've read, Oppo doesn't seem to Break or Mess up as easily as other Brands:naughty: But for you it seems that you'll be taking a Big risk if anything goes wrong:(

Well from what I've read, Oppo doesn't seem to Break or Mess up as easily as other Brands:naughty: But for you it seems that you'll be taking a Big risk if anything goes wrong:(

Exactly, the way I see it, it's a gamble 50/50 :ohno:

Have you checked out Bombay electronics on Amazon. The Orei blu ray player is multi region. You can set it as your Region A player

Thanks for the suggestion Frank. I actually contacted them directly last week and I have the same issue regarding the warranty coverage: I would have to cover the shipping charges in case anything goes wrong :(

I would take the chance. In most cases an electronics component usually if it's going to go out will do so in the initial burn in or first 30 days and then last for the lifetime of the component. If you are going to take the plunge I would choose an Oppo over another brand any day of the week. They're built solid and have long lasting components and good circuit boards. You're standing behind quality when you buy an Oppo. :oohyeah:

Thanks for the Info Acid!!! just ordered the OPPO BDP-103 and also the Region Free hardware from Ebay:oohyeah::thumbs:

Nice! :LOL:

Reactions: ocielz and IRON MAN
I would take the chance. In most cases an electronics component usually if it's going to go out will do so in the initial burn in or first 30 days and then last for the lifetime of the component. If you are going to take the plunge I would choose an Oppo over another brand any day of the week. They're built solid and have long lasting components and good circuit boards. You're standing behind quality when you buy an Oppo. :oohyeah:

It better be for that Price :D

All right, I'm convinced. Next month though, I blew my budget this month on re-building my steelbook collection :D

Status
Not open for further replies.