Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: April 22, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £24.99

Aliens 4K.jpg

Aliens 4K Jcard Back.jpg

Last edited:
Fcking right. Its like yeah the grain is mostly gone. But the detail isn't. And Cameron has apparently decided "fck grain" is his lifes mission. Fine I'd prefer he didn't. But the bottom line is they are his babies. I never felt a loss of detail due to the grain scrubbing, no waxiness. Just endless detail on everything you can see.
The grain is part of the film structure. And a lot of the detail would have been removed as well.... I can bet you if you had a second version in which the grain hasn't been removed, there would be more detail. Because it's 4k means it's going to be more detailed than any other format but does that mean you are actually getting more detail or does it seem like more detail simply because it's 4k. A fair point.... As someone who does restoration on still photography, you remove grain you remove detail. The same rule still applies to the moving image....

The grain is part of the film structure. And a lot of the detail would have been removed as well.... I can bet you if you had a second version in which the grain hasn't been removed, there would be more detail. Because it's 4k means it's going to be more detailed than any other format but does that mean you are actually getting more detail or does it seem like more detail simply because it's 4k. A fair point.... As someone who does restoration on still photography, you remove grain you remove detail. The same rule still applies to the moving image....
Dude I have given up caring. If you don't like stick to your laser disk.

Mine arrived yesterday, intended to watch a couple of scenes just to see how the 4k looked..... Ended up watching over an hour and I'm really impressed.

Having repeatedly purchased this movie since the days of VHS, in my eyes this is an improvement.

Also, I still have a couple of copies on blu-ray (and one on dvd) should I ever wish to watch those.... Unsure why I ever would though.

Mine arrived yesterday, intended to watch a couple of scenes just to see how the 4k looked..... Ended up watching over an hour and I'm really impressed.

Having repeatedly purchased this movie since the days of VHS, in my eyes this is an improvement.

Also, I still have a couple of copies on blu-ray (and one on dvd) should I ever wish to watch those.... Unsure why I ever would though.
Couldn't agree more. I think it looks great.

Reactions: Gadget and Punker76
Dude I have given up caring. If you don't like stick to your laser disk.
All evil needs to flourish, is for good people to do nothing...
This needs to stop, if everyone 'gives up' or is too blind or too young to see, then we'll lose real cinema forever.
I'm glad a lot of people have sense and made this into a scandal of sorts, that I'm sure studio execs heard of, despite satisfying sales.

On the plus side the laserdisc will be well sought after now.
Probably, but as I understand DVD also has similar colors. It appears they messed it up beginning with a Blu-ray, this good guy, that makes 40-minute videos about 'old movies' suspects it might even be an upscale, or the same transfer from those years, further destroyed tweaked:

Reactions: Lollard2002
All evil needs to flourish, is for good people to do nothing...
This needs to stop, if everyone 'gives up' or is too blind or too young to see, then we'll lose real cinema forever.
I'm glad a lot of people have sense and made this into a scandal of sorts, that I'm sure studio execs heard of, despite satisfying sales.

Probably, but as I understand DVD also has similar colors. It appears they messed it up beginning with a Blu-ray, this good guy, that makes 40-minute videos about 'old movies' suspects it might even be an upscale, or the same transfer from those years, further destroyed tweaked:

I watch a bunch of that dudes videos, he means well but half the time he's waaaay off the mark. Also, sometimes comes across as a child of the 90's pretending he was there in the 80's.... Good intentions and all, even has a decent appreciation of retro entertainment and media, but is also prone to making somewhat cringey remarks in his reviews.

Just my take.

I watch a bunch of that dudes videos, he means well but half the time he's waaaay off the mark. Also, sometimes comes across as a child of the 90's pretending he was there in the 80's....
I think he's younger than me, less than 40, so he was probably born in the mid-80s, but didn't really experience them, like me. I also only remember the 90's.

Reactions: Punker76
As a 60's baby I remember the 80's well..
The 70's and 80's were definitely the best times for me in terms of cinema, before the multiplex s##t kicked in..
You could smoke,
You had usherettes bringing round crappy soft drinks and ice creams,
Everybody went to ACTUALLYwatch the movies and didn't ruin it for others,
You got double bills with crappy trailers and ads for dodgy restaurants nearby ( think Grindhouse, and yes, it really WAS like that ),
Cinemas were still actual theatres with character...

Now all you get is tw#ts eating their tea, ie, nachos and hotdogs, using their mobiles and generally being annoying because they're not really there to watch the movie, they're just there to be, let's face it, tw#ts...
That felt good getting that off my chest...

The 70's and 80's were definitely the best times for me in terms of cinema, before the multiplex s##t kicked in..
You could smoke,
You got double bills with crappy trailers and ads for dodgy restaurants nearby ( think Grindhouse, and yes, it really WAS like that ),

Now all you get is tw#ts eating their tea, ie, nachos and hotdogs, using their mobiles and generally being annoying because they're not really there to watch the movie, they're just there to be, let's face it, tw#ts...
Yes! I was also a 60's baby. Man, how times have changed, some for the good and others not so good. I remember when people were allowed to smoke in the theater's (that was before they realized cigarettes and tobacco cause cancer). I remember as a kid getting in the theater and soome grump was smoking his cigar in front of you and it was hard to see the screen with all the smoke in the way. Man do I miss the drive-in theaters, last one I seen was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Those were fun times to say the least. :thanks:

Reactions: leelee17
You could smoke,

I'm a 60's baby as well and I started to stop going to the cinema about 10 years ago but yep the 80s were the best times for me.....

Reactions: leelee17
You could smoke,

Your last paragraph. That's generally why I don't go to the Cinema anymore. Maybe 3-4 times a year if that.
I'm late 40s, still old enough to remember the smoking and ushers, but just young enough to not have cared so much about the awful habits.
Ah, I remember going to see Santa Claus The Movie starring Dudley Moore for my 8th birthday (I'm an Xmas child) with a group of friends; it was sold out and I was devastated. We went to see the film on the second screen (there was only two) and it turned out to be Back To the Future... magical.
It was still playing months after release and most people had seen it, so naturally the screen was pretty empty. We had the whole space to ourselves. It was an experience that just sticks in my head.
What a film to have stumbled across.