Release date: July 13, 2021
Purchase links: Best Buy - Target
Price: $25.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

JLtAgVj.jpg

8aAgiK3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lolwut
Which retailer ships SteelBooks in a box with cushioning?
Fair enough, but you can ship them in a box that’s made for shipping disks…and once upon a time Amazon did secure CDs and movies. Best buy sent $300+ of GoT in a box that was too big and they had the dents and scratches to prove. It doesn’t take much to add air cushions or similar.…alternatively, they could ship single disks in boxes like Zavvi does. It’s not perfect, but it’s a pretty safe way to send individual steelboks.

most of the Disney releases have been shipped in a box with padding. But lately it seems like all the allocations go to stores and they fulfill the online orders from there.

just had to return 15 steelbooks because they were horribly damaged.
I think that’s temporary. Super 8 never even shipped to stores. If one has it, it was a return. All the stores I go to had several rows of Disks, now they have 1 with very few new steels. I wouldn’t mind that if BBY was better at shipping. I’m at the point where I order 2 or 3, pick the best and return the rest (that’s what I did with Super 8).

Fair enough, but you can ship them in a box that’s made for shipping disks…and once upon a time Amazon did secure CDs and movies. Best buy sent $300+ of GoT in a box that was too big and they had the dents and scratches to prove. It doesn’t take much to add air cushions or similar.…alternatively, they could ship single disks in boxes like Zavvi does. It’s not perfect, but it’s a pretty safe way to send individual steelboks.

If Best Buy only sold SteelBooks and no other products then SteelBooks would probably be shipped in the same packaging every time. But when you have a company that sells thousands of products then packaging and shipping is going to be inconsistent.

I doubt there is a posted list of what each of the thousands of products must be packaged and shipped in. Warehouse shipping is about picking, packing and shipping as quickly as possible. Nobody would have time to be checking a list for every item they ship.

But believe whatever you want to believe.

If Best Buy only sold SteelBooks and no other products then SteelBooks would probably be shipped in the same packaging every time. But when you have a company that sells thousands of products then packaging and shipping is going to be inconsistent.

I doubt there is a posted list of what each of the thousands of products must be packaged and shipped in. Warehouse shipping is about picking, packing and shipping as quickly as possible. Nobody would have time to be checking a list for every item they ship.

But believe whatever you want to believe.

Also, when an in-store employee is shipping steelbooks, some of them obviously get it and pack really well. But then others, and honestly I probably can't blame them, are like I don't give an eff and you get a bubble mailer or packaging that
was never meant to have your edition shipped in.

Just got a group buy purchase the other day that had obviously been opened, returned due to the spine slash and the in store Best Buy person sent it on to me as "new".

The STORIES, I have, lol

• Haha
Reactions: Stygian
I think that’s temporary. Super 8 never even shipped to stores.

Super 8 is a Paramount title, and if they are coming from the warehouse it might shipping direct from the distributor / studio contracted by the distributor...

So that's why the "rules" are different - depends on the deal Best Buy has struck to get the movie editions to their stores.

Reactions: Steely-Booked
Super 8 is a Paramount title, and if they are coming from the warehouse it might shipping direct from the distributor / studio contracted by the distributor...

So that's why the "rules" are different - depends on the deal Best Buy has struck to get the movie editions to their stores.
Could be, though the it was shipped in the same cardboard envelope like thing as other recent BBY orders. I guess some locals were happy they were able to get a copy without ordering online (In this case, all 3 were, shockingly, in pretty good shape.

did i mention amazon. ca?

everybody has this. very strange for Canada

Paramount releases older SteelBook catalogue titles to multiple retailers in Canada.

Top Gun, Braveheart, Gladiator and Super 8 are recent releases that went to both Best Buy Canada and Amazon Canada.
As well as Friday the 13th 1 & 2, the Star Trek Discovery and Lower Decks SteelBooks and now Almost Famous.

Last edited:
I cancelled the preorder. While not overly costly the finish makes this a bargain bin sale purchase for me now.

I’m not always anti-matte but it looks awful in that video. This would have been lovely with gloss. Oh, well…