American Made (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Oct 5, 2016
Wirral, UK
Release date: December 26, 2017
Purchase links: Blu-ray Edition - 4K Edition (LIVE)
Price: £21.99 (BD) - £29.99 (4k)
Notes: Standard blu-ray limited to 1000 Units - 4K UHD limited to 500 Units (SOLD OUT)

11538182-1234530702900330.jpg

11538182-1424530703118442.jpg
11538182-2014510732100262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Brett_S and Stygian
but does show 4k is on the rise in a big way, and am hoping companies wont be swayed into just releasing 4k steelbooks in the future,
to me standard bluray pic is plenty good enough, and 20-25 for a release is plenty high enough,

I agree with you. I will never go beyond regular blu-ray for viewing purposes.

But it's already happening in Canada. Seems like we get a lot of steelbook titles now that are 4K/2D combos without getting just a Blu-ray steelbook.

Here's a list of steelbooks in Canada that don't offer just a blu-ray disc. They are 4K/blu-ray combos.
And all steelbook exclusives are only available at Best Buy. No competition.

Ghost in the Shell (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (English) (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD/3D/2D Blu-ray Combo)

Wonder Woman (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Transformers The Last Knight (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Kong: Skull Island (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Life (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4k Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
xXx: Return of Xander Cage (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Ghostbusters (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo) (2016)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (SteelBook) (Only At Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)
Jason Bourne (Steelbook) (Only at Best Buy) (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray Combo)

Ghost in the shell was a steal for only $29.99 Canadian with full gloss.

The rest are all $32.99 to $44.99. Wonder Woman is $44.99 and it doesn't come with 3D.:wtf:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: yardman
Yep, it's ridiculous! I really don't buy the whole "the distributor/studio/Joe Bloggs decides the prices" either... they may do to some extent, but this is a Universal release and so is HMV's Atomic Blonde steelbook, and that's only £18... so the difference in pricing speaks for itself really.

Zavvi and HMV DO pay the same price for releases. That being said there are certain titles and studios that demand a higher £. Disney basically price fix and always have done, and certain power players within Hollywood expect distributors to ask for more on their titles "Mr Cruise" being one.

Zavvi 99.9% of the time are always more expensive and harder to sort a price drop with than Amazon who normally by release day match or lower. Zavvi play the game of home of steelsbooks, and try to sell out as fast as possible by using marketing that often works well, although we know its bogus now most of the time, but it works, Amazon are so big they don't care about that, their much better customers service, "usually better packaging" means often they sell out just as fast.

We've watched Zavvi sell out average titles fast with bad art, just because 1.. Steel nuts have to have them, 2.. They market well, limited edition, low numbers etc. It's worked. Cruise sells and low number = Jack Reacher all over again. My "guess" is this will sell out or at least drop till they have very few left, but then Cruise isn't as big as he used to be and films like the recent Fast titles while earing big money in cinemas ended up in the bargain bin. Stick a Marvel logo and SELL OUT and prices double on secondary markets, everything else these days as @lgans316 says you can pretty much get on eBay for cost or less within a sort time.

Zavvi and HMV DO pay the same price for releases. That being said there are certain titles and studios that demand a higher £. Disney basically price fix and always have done, and certain power players within Hollywood expect distributors to ask for more on their titles "Mr Cruise" being one.

Zavvi 99.9% of the time are always more expensive and harder to sort a price drop with than Amazon who normally by release day match or lower. Zavvi play the game of home of steelsbooks, and try to sell out as fast as possible by using marketing that often works well, although we know its bogus now most of the time, but it works, Amazon are so big they don't care about that, their much better customers service, "usually better packaging" means often they sell out just as fast.

We've watched Zavvi sell out average titles fast with bad art, just because 1.. Steel nuts have to have them, 2.. They market well, limited edition, low numbers etc. It's worked. Cruise sells and low number = Jack Reacher all over again. My "guess" is this will sell out or at least drop till they have very few left, but then Cruise isn't as big as he used to be and films like the recent Fast titles while earing big money in cinemas ended up in the bargain bin. Stick a Marvel logo and SELL OUT and prices double on secondary markets, everything else these days as @lgans316 says you can pretty much get on eBay for cost or less within a sort time.

As far as Zavvi is concerned, could that be the result of 2 things?

1) The cheap shipping price charged for buyers in North America and elsewhere and
2) All of the shipments they lose?

They seem to be having a really tough time getting orders to the customers.
I wonder if those lost shipments ever make it back to Zavvi.

Don't kid yourself. 4K is still a niche within a niche.
It has largely plateaued.
I agree with you it's still a niche within a niche. It's just a matter of time. A few years ago it was all about 3D on a TV, right now it's 4K.
More and more (even old releases) find their way to 4K. The majority of people still have an old blu-ray player so it might take a long time. The UHD players still have a high price, but this was also the case for blu-ray players in the very beginning. Just like 4K TV are getting cheaper, UHD players will too.

Personally I am happy about more and more getting released on 4K. When I know the movie is getting a 4K release and an annouced steelbook has none, I skip it (like Alien: Covenant from FA). For me it's not a premium release then.

I agree with you it's still a niche within a niche. It's just a matter of time. A few years ago it was all about 3D on a TV, right now it's 4K.
More and more (even old releases) find their way to 4K. The majority of people still have an old blu-ray player so it might take a long time. The UHD players still have a high price, but this was also the case for blu-ray players in the very beginning. Just like 4K TV are getting cheaper, UHD players will too.

Personally I am happy about more and more getting released on 4K. When I know the movie is getting a 4K release and an annouced steelbook has none, I skip it (like Alien: Covenant from FA). For me it's not a premium release then.
Problem is: 4K is a marginal bump (not as dramatic as 480 to 1080p) and the increase is only apparent on very large screens. UHD requires you to not only upgrade the player but also your television.
This alone makes the economics completely different than when blu ray came out.
The real benefit (which gets short shrift) is not the marginal increase in resolution, but the Wide Color Gamut that increases colors and black levels dramatically.
I, personally have no great need to jump in the game yet. I would only do it with OLED - and they have only this year finally gone beyond 65" (LG now has a 77"). But I am perfectly happy with Blu ray quality- and I think upscaling would be fine. Remember that the UHD could become the 720p TVs of yesterday when 8K comes. (There is no worry beyond 8K - the human eye really doesn't perceive much beyond 8K.)

Problem is: 4K is a marginal bump (not as dramatic as 480 to 1080p) and the increase is only apparent on very large screens. UHD requires you to not only upgrade the player but also your television.
The real benefit (which gets short shrift) is not the marginal increase in resolution, but the Wide Color Gamut that increases colors and black levels dramatically.
I, personally have no great need to jump in the game yet. I would only do it with OLED - and they have only this year finally gone beyond 65" (LG now has a 77"). But I am perfectly happy with Blu ray quality- and I think upscaling would be fine. Remember that the UHD could become the 720p TVs of yesterday when 8K comes. (There is no worry beyond 8K - the human eye really doesn't perceive much beyond 8K.)

I suspect we'll see quite a few 8K TVs at CES in Jan '18 from the usual suspects.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Btw- there is the rumor that 3D will be back in the next wave (no doubt, James Cameron laying down the law about how 4K stinks and future Avatar home releases being only in 3D had an effect:rofl:.)

Yeah I read a good article about that a while back. To be honest, I like watching 3d at home. So interested to see how it all plays out.

• Thanks
Yeah I read a good article about that a while back. To be honest, I like watching 3d at home. So interested to see how it all plays out.
Honestly - a lot of theaters present 3D very poorly.
(DCP does not lend itself to 3D as well as projected film, in my opinion).
The best 3D I have seen is in my own home theater!
I was completely 3D agnostic until my I got a TV that happened to have it (I didn't buy it for 3D).
It is a wonderful choice to have. I don't understand why people bash something they can freely take or leave. If you don't like 3D - don't get it! But the choice should remain there. Certainly the demand remains. And someone as big as James Cameron wields a lot of influence - and after all the work he has put into 3D technology, I don't think he is gonna let it go.

Honestly - a lot of theaters present 3D very poorly. The best 3D I have seen is in my own home theater!
I was completely 3D agnostic until my I got a TV that happened to have it (I didn't buy it for 3D).
It is a wonderful choice to have. I don't understand why people bash something they can freely take or leave. If you don't like 3D - don't get it! But the choice should remain there. Certainly the demand remains. And someone as big as James Cameron wields a lot of influence - and after all the work he has put into 3D technology, I don't think he is gonna let it go.

I agree, I've watched some great 3D movies at home. Like you said, it all boils down to personal preference.

• Thanks
Btw- there is the rumor that 3D will be back in the next wave (no doubt, James Cameron laying down the law about how 4K stinks and future Avatar home releases being only in 3D had an effect:rofl:.)
The future Avatar 3D films will be using new projection system no 3D glasses required in the Cinemas
Future TV Panels will need to match the new cinema projection system as in no 3D glasses required otherwise 3D as home entertainment will get less releases over the coming years by the film distributors

James Cameron said this himself for 3D to be a success as home entertainment and sustain high demand of sales and releases has to be free from the need of 3D glasses

Don't get your hopes up of 3D been restored to TV panels soon as it will be more likely be between 2019 to 2021 if that happens

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: marcnotrust
The future Avatar 3D films will be using new projection system no 3D glasses required in the Cinemas
Future TV Panels will need to match the new cinema projection system as in no 3D glasses required otherwise 3D as home entertainment will get less releases over the coming years by the film distributors

James Cameron said this himself for 3D to be a success as home entertainment and sustain high demand of sales and releases has to be free from the need of 3D glasses

Don't get your hopes up of 3D been restored to TV panels soon as it will be more likely be between 2019 to 2021 if that happens
For sure, they will be back in time for Avatar 2.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
This is also the way I did it. I went from a 47" LCD (6 years old) to a 65" LG OLED (bought it on black friday). I bought the Panasonic UHD player at Amazons marketplace. Which saved me a lot of money. On top of that Panasonic had a cashback promotion end of last year. This was an additional €75.
I still watch a lot of normal blu-rays, but every time I watch an UHD I still have lots of WOW moments. It's a completely different viewing experience.

• Thanks
Reactions: marcnotrust
This is also the way I did it. I went from a 47" LCD (6 years old) to a 65" LG OLED (bought it on black friday). I bought the Panasonic UHD player at Amazons marketplace. Which saved me a lot of money. On top of that Panasonic had a cashback promotion end of last year. This was an additional €75.
I still watch a lot of normal blu-rays, but every time I watch an UHD I still have lots of WOW moments. It's a completely different viewing experience.
Make sure LG "TruMotion" setting is off.:thumbs:

Reactions: rschiks