Apr 3, 2020
The Netherlands/Finland
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $27.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

6434859_sa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody still clinging to the olden days when every steelbook was glossed and bossed, a candy bar was a nickel, movies were a dime, stuff was made with real ingredients and not artificial colours and flavours, stuff was built to last, the Popeye candy was called cigarettes and not candy sticks...

Every steelbook is a missed opportunity in one way or another to somebody.

Everybody still clinging to the olden days when every steelbook was glossed and bossed, a candy bar was a nickel, movies were a dime, stuff was made with real ingredients and not artificial colours and flavours, stuff was built to last, the Popeye candy was called cigarettes and not candy sticks...

Damnit you've nailed it! I agree with you so much!
Tbh I do like this artwork and will bag one copy as soon as I don't have to purchase it from the US (import duties).

Reactions: Stygian
But now, on the subject, I think there are still several SteelBooks that are made great, with full gloss and embossing, but generally those are made by the premium producers, like FA, BluFans, etc.
Still, last year and this one, were some Zavvi's SteelBooks that was surprisingly good too, although that not full gloss, but maybe just gloss (yes, there's a difference, when the "full varnish" is applied, the gloss is much thicker and shinier, along with the little more scratch resisting).

And I guess that when it is a matter of a GREAT movie (as Arrival is), combined with a not so bad artwork (as this one is), then there are MUCH MORE people that would had wanted to be close to "premiums", like full gloss and embossed.
Others, with lousy artwork, don't stir so many people due to the fact it is disregarded before going to check the finishes.

Very true, maybe I just expect too much of regular best buy steelbooks. But still, one can always dream about getting a perfect Arrival steelbook..

Reactions: Felix_ro
Very true, maybe I just expect too much of regular best buy steelbooks. But still, one can always dream about getting a perfect Arrival steelbook..
Indeed, I can't recall if Arrival ever had an GREAT SteelBook. So WE NEED to have (at least) ONE, ASAP, right?
Even FA was using the WEA when they done their FAC... (n) ... so BAD choice they've done this... :banghead:

Reactions: zeebeer
well...i mean it could have been full gloss finished, really...
looked back how Paramount released their steelbooks recently (from 2019), they didn't release matte steelbooks for a very longggggg time...

COMING TO AMERICA 4K - full gloss finished (released same day as Arrival)
TOP GUN 4K - full gloss finished
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE 4K - full gloss finished
BUMBLE BEE 4K - full gloss finished
FORREST GUMP 4K - full gloss finished
GREASE 4K - full gloss finished
STAR TREK: PICARD (season one) - full gloss finished
INTERSTELLAR 4K (new release) - full gloss finished
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 4K(new release) - full gloss finished
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - Fallout 4K (new release) - full gloss finished
CLUELESS - full gloss finished
TOMMY BOY - full gloss finished
AIRPLANE - full gloss finished
BRAVEHEART 4K - full gloss finished
GLADIATOR 4K - full gloss finished
SONIC 4K - full gloss finished
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER 4K - full gloss finished
SHUTTER ISLAND 4K - full gloss finished
TERMINATOR: DARK FATE 4K - full gloss finished
GEMINI MAN 4K - full gloss finished
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (season 1, 2) - full gloss finished with debossed titles
ROCKET MAN 4K, 2D - both full gloss finished
SLEEPY HOLLOW (FYE) - full gloss finished
THE ADDAMS FAMILY FYE) - full gloss finished

i can even go back further but still, they have full gloss finished (front / back)
so i really don't know what happen here with Arrival... kinda disappointing...

Last edited:
Reactions: MM3 and zeebeer
hi all, I went back over my items and found a few extras of this title. I've added them to the group buy in case anyone wants to add this now for something they're planning on grabbing later.

Thanks

Reactions: goufcustom