Release date: March 20, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £22.99

11369772-2024460982730011.jpg

11369772-1854460982800934.jpg

11369772-1204460982859977.jpg
11369772-1434436648891913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yes, it is expensive but no more than other new films in steelbooks I could mention.
Yes, the artwork is not to everyone's tastes - as in too simple - but it does perfectly represent the guts of the film . . . in other words, communication with/from the Heptapods.
Yes, the colour is not to everyone's taste but again perfectly represents the smoky background behind glass wall also seen on the other version of this steelbook.

IMO good thing to have a choice and anybody not digging this one can opt for t'other which is probably cheaper anyway :)

A quick comparison:-
U.K. from Eone (the kings of wraparound artwork)
upload_2017-3-18_22-52-11.png

ty4hLu2.jpg

Other territories (from Sony):-
Arrival-steelbook-3.jpg

Arrival-steelbook-2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh this does look so bad!!

Why do the great films get shite steels and shite films get great steels (majority of the time)

I'm actually starting to prefer the other version. Front looks much better but the back messes my eyes up. Lol
Is that one gloss?

Does make me laugh when people look for the oddest reasons behind a silver steel

If this was supposed to represent the guts of the film and be like the ships alien window then the mock up would not of been white.
Hahaha don't make me laugh people. The "designers" (can't believe I called them that) of this monstrosity are laughing at you

Isn't the window on the front of the WWA steel also silver/bare metal? So if you bash one steelbook for that reason, then you're basically bashing them both. I'd also be pretty annoyed if I hadn't already seen the film and got the WWA steel, since it gives away what the aliens look like... I found it to be a nice surprise when I first watched the film.

In a nutshell - as the film is all about COMMUNICATION you have symbols of communication (on both steelbooks) as steelbook artwork.
Not understanding what's so difficult to grasp about that concept.
arrival-movie-scenes1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Radagast
Looks better in hand than in pics is all I can say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only way this could have given the impression of more bang for your buck is for the Heptapod B symbol on the front for "EARTH" to have been embossed with a framing border - as on the mock-up posted earlier - which would of course have meant shrinking the symbol to fit within the frame (if it was designed correctly).
De-bossing the logogram would have enabled it to remain the same size as existing.

Last edited:
Isn't the window on the front of the WWA steel also silver/bare metal? So if you bash one steelbook for that reason, then you're basically bashing them both. I'd also be pretty annoyed if I hadn't already seen the film and got the WWA steel, since it gives away what the aliens look like... I found it to be a nice surprise when I first watched the film.

Originally this looked good with the white background

Although the other has silver/ bare metal you are also getting a fuller picture. The execution on this is bad. It's like they cut corners

Saying that the other version is ruined by its finish

There's still a difference in bashing because this is full bare metal with faint smog and the other has a smaller portion of bare metal but with some other imagery and colour

originally the mock up looked so much better for this and looked more like the print outs of the symbols. Just worked better on white IMO like ex machina did. Look how people treated that; this could of been the same.

Originally this looked good with the white background

Although the other has silver/ bare metal you are also getting a fuller picture. The execution on this is bad. It's like they cut corners

Saying that the other version is ruined by its finish

There's still a difference in bashing because this is full bare metal with faint smog and the other has a smaller portion of bare metal but with some other imagery and colour

originally the mock up looked so much better for this and looked more like the print outs of the symbols. Just worked better on white IMO like ex machina did. Look how people treated that; this could of been the same.
Personally I think the execution works a lot better here than on the WWA steel... they're just two random images with no real consistency from front to back, whereas this one clearly had some thought put in to it as it wraps around to imitate the alien window. Granted they could have pulled it off better by making it white like we'd all hoped, but I still find the design really effective overall. It's definitely one that has to be seen in hand to be fully apreciated though IMO. And at least this has spot-glossing too, which is always a winner in my book! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and JCC
Glad to see actual pics of this before I ordered. I've now ordered the French version which is more to my taste and cheaper too.

Personally I think the execution works a lot better here than on the WWA steel... they're just two random images with no real consistency from front to back, whereas this one clearly had some thought put in to it as it wraps around to imitate the alien window. Granted they could have pulled it off better by making it white like we'd all hoped, but I still find the design really effective overall. It's definitely one that has to be seen in hand to be fully apreciated though IMO. And at least this has spot-glossing too, which is always a winner in my book! :D

I think the UK artwork is more attractive to those who have seen the movie and understand the meaning of the symbols while the EU artwork is more appealing to those who haven't seen it. The symbols alone really confused me until I saw the movie. The EU artwork has a little more context with the people in the pictures. That's just my feeling, I could be wrong.

I thought this was full gloss?

Basically I didn't like the other version but now seeing pics of this I prefer the other but then that's ruined by a bad finsh and I agree about the back but the front looks better to me now. Catch 22s all around

I'm just bitter because the film was amazing and neither really justify it for me. It deserves much better

I think the UK artwork is more attractive to those who have seen the movie and understand the meaning of the symbols while the EU artwork is more appealing to those who haven't seen it. The symbols alone really confused me until I saw the movie. The EU artwork has a little more context with the people in the pictures. That's just my feeling, I could be wrong.

I've seen the movie, loved the movie, one of my best of 2016 and the U.K. Artwork makes sense to me (with the style they went for) but that is not attractive to me

If it stayed white then it would of been more attractive to me

I'll still pick one of them up at some point because I loved the film but only at a price drop now. Unless a better wea premium comes along