Batman (1989) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #9) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: March 22, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - The Entertainment Store (eBay) (Pre-order on February 15)
Price: £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - eBay) - £30.00 (Amazon)

148526315_504232367640287_1286063053989270317_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would not say this is a cult film. IMO it's a full blown blockbuster/hit movie. Made loads of cash. Plus sequels.
It's a matter of opinion, but the original Tim Burton Batman is definitely a cult film. Lots of his films are regardless of their popularity. It's dark and obscure enough to have been very niche if it hadn't been for the DC affiliation and popularity.

Think Edward Scissorhands (which also made plenty of bank btw), but just so happened to be based on a superhero. I'd say it's the source material that would now be considered mass market, not so much the film itself at the time.

Saying that I'd also classify watchmen as quite cult, regardless of it spawning the HBO series. Cult doesn't necessarily mean unpopular or non lucrative. I'd say strange and obscure offering divided opinion are equally contributing factors to the stigma.

Last edited:
Reactions: spass
It's a matter of opinion, but the original Tim Burton Batman is definitely a cult film. It's dark and obscure enough to have been very niche if it hadn't been for the DC affiliation and popularity in later years.

Think Edward Scissorhands (which also made plenty of bank btw), but just so happened to be based on a comicbook superhero. I'd say it's the source material that would now be considered mass market, not so much the film itself.
No. This objective fact. BATMAN was the biggest movie of 1989. It was a monster - it was bigger than the second Indiana Jones movie (also released in 1989)
It was the #1 box office movie of 1989.
Batman 1989 is not a cult film, It was a blockbuster.

No. This objective fact. BATMAN was the biggest movie of 1989. It was a monster - it was bigger than the second Indiana Jones movie,
It was the #1 box office movie of 1989.
Mate, something making money does not discount it from having a cult following or classification.

Reactions: Hereticz
Mate, something making money does not discount it from having a cult following or classification.

...kind of get this too. Or the other way round. Big budged film that fails might get cult following. Like Blade Runner failed ... and the rest is history.

...kind of get this too. Or the other way round. Big budged film that fails might get cult following. Like Blade Runner failed ... and the rest is history.
Agreed. Waterworld being another. Massive budget, huge flop. Probably more popular now because of it's legacy than by the film itself.

Would not say this is a cult film. IMO it's a full blown blockbuster/hit movie. Made loads of cash. Plus sequels.

Yeah man. When I think of 'Cult films' I immediately go to someone like John Waters. I do think Tim Burton is a Cult film Wannabe, but his stuff is just way too mainstream IMO. That said, someone like John Carpenter, who is very mainstsream, did do The Thing, which failed at the box offfice, but has achieved Cult status in its financial resurrection on home video.

In regards to thee Pop Art poster above, most know I HATE HATE HATE pop art, but have to say this looks kind of boss. Pretty sure it won't be used, and sadly am pretty sure we won't be blown away by the reveal. Hope I'm wrong there.

Big films (blockbusters at the time) can become cult films still. This is semi cult I suppose. Imo

I think sleepy hollow, beetlejuice and Edward scissorhands are more cult from his film roster maybe even big fish to a degree. And nightmare before Christmas even tho he didn’t direct

Reactions: samdavies
I googled “Cult Movie” and I got this result via Wikipedia:

“...obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed”

I don’t necessarily agree with the ironic enjoyment aspect of this quote, but being unpopular with mainstream audiences certainly rings true.

Reactions: C.C. 95 and DMD4k
I googled “Cult Movie” and I got this result via Wikipedia:

“...obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed”

I don’t necessarily agree with the ironic enjoyment aspect of this quote, but being unpopular with mainstream audiences certainly rings true.

Yep. And Q for @samdavies ? ( with friendly tone, it's late, I know ... ) Why would one call hit film a cult film ? I mean, really why ? Big audience, lot's of cash. Sequel maybe.

Yep. And Q for @samdavies ? ( with friendly tone, it's late, I know ... ) Why would one call hit film a cult film ? I mean, really why ? Big audience, lot's of cash. Sequel maybe.
It's subjective of course, but I would count near enough every Tim Burton film as "obscure" in some way shape or form, regardless of how popular some have become. If anything I'd say they've become more popular in the last 10 years with certain demographics purely because of this. Batman 1989 included. It's dark, dry, gothic and downright zany and offbeat at points. Certainly not the type of flick middle America would pop on sunday afternoon..

You have to remember superhero films were not the norm in 1989, especially not dark and bruding ones. The idea of marketing a film like this at the time towards adults (due to the certificate) was a massive gamble by WB. One that many exec's were convinced was the wrong route to go. Luckily it paid off and became a success and spawned one true sequel.

Idk what anyone says, the other 2 legacy Batman films are separate stories as far as I'm concerned, Canon or not :rofl:

It certainly has a cult like following and is a product of its time. It's typically held as a favourite of those of a certain age and fans of the style and era, but wouldn't really be seen as directed at the mass market crowd of today. It's certainly no mcu or dcu style flick, regardless of how dark some of Snyder's flicks are.

As I said before, I do not agree that a film can be declassified as cult simply because it has made money, when it ticks many other areas that could be deemed as worthy of that status.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulboland